Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

LINK TO PART 1: Toast - #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

MOD EDIT: Sign the official club petition here - Sign the Petition

FBAC6E73-7DEA-41FB-8B49-8642646B3812.jpeg

Twitter:https://twitter.com/PrisonBars2020
Facebook: Bring Back the Bars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right
Instagram: Login • Instagram
Petition:Link above

If you have any queries please contact one of the following people. PrisonBars2020 bomberclifford Doctor Feel Jonts Alyx RussellEbertHandball MitchIn3D SgtSchulz No21sTightManPerm chiwigi

Dear Club, it has now been over 4 years since we last wore our most famous and traditional guernsey in the AFL, to many of us Port Adelaide fans this is unacceptable. Whilst we recognise the unique set of circumstances that led to our step up to the national league, we now believe it is time to correct the mistake made in not using the Wharf Pylons/Prison Bars in black and white as our main guernsey.

To this end we request that the club start campaigning for the reinstatement of our heritage. This could be done as the other successful campaigns to assert our true identity were done. That is a resolute, respectful and consistent message to all who are not Port Adelaide as exemplified in the One Club and We Are Port Adelaide slogans. Neither of these will have their full effect until we reflect our true heritage in the most visible manner.

The club needs to make a clear and unequivocal statement regarding its stance on the issue something akin to:

We the Port Adelaide Football Club believe it is our right to wear the Wharf Pylon (Prison Bar) design that served as our guernsey for 100 years (and a number of times in the AFL) as our main guernsey in the AFL.
We accept that there are obstacles to overcome, but we are dedicated to working with the AFL to find a solution to this problem and will resolutely and respectfully campaign for their reinstatement for the rest of our existence.
Until such time as this issue has been resolved, we shall continue to wear the Chevrons.

The arguments against the change from within the club are very weak and seem based on the ‘not the Magpies’ theory, this one has been debunked over and over and is reflected in our NTUA anthem. Fans who do not appreciate our history and heritage will not be there when times get tough.

Those on the board realise there is a large groundswell for this, yes we have a fantastic Guernsey in the chevrons, but it is still not the correct one…every Port fan feels this deep down.

From the outside it seems that Collingwood are the biggest hurdle, however as the league matures surely they now realise their fears were unfounded and would be happy to seek a diplomatic solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wear them every home game, and every away game where it doesn't cause a clash. Cop the fine, cop the points penalty, force the AFL to enforce their penalty over and over again.

Stripping us of points isn't sustainable because it affects betting. It affects sponsors. It ruins the integrity of the competition. It keeps the conversation going. All things that absolutely can't happen for the AFL.

Just wear them.

This is exactly what should happen and would result in relatively quick and easy victory on our part. But it's also exactly what won't happen purely and simply because the people who run our club don't want the black mark against their names within the industry that would come with making a stand like that.

This is exactly what should happen and would result in relatively quick and easy victory on our part. But it's also exactly what won't happen purely and simply because the people who run our club don't want the black mark against their names within the industry that would come with making a stand like that.

It should be the parting gift of an administrator who loves their club. Just like Haysman and Duncanson effectively threw themselves on the grenade to achieve Oneclub and Adelaide Oval, KT needed to do this on the way out.

Koch is never working anywhere else in football and is set for life regardless, so it's not going to hurt him at all. Koch could rescue his legacy by achieving this for us.

Koch works for channel 7. I daresay if he pisses AFL house off too much then some calls will be made between business associates to refresh the sunrise team.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I don't think the Prison Bars are high stakes enough for the AFL to care to pressure 7 about his employment. This is only actually important to us. To everyone else it's only important for political posturing which will become a non-issue the second the issue is resolved.

I doubt it I'm sure they are ecstatic at our negotiating skills though it's completely rogered it to one fixture & opponent... if at all.

No, I mean it’s the tactic of the AFL and Richo fell for it.

However, history has shown that once the door is ajar anything can happen. Collingwood are probably right about that.

We literally wear a ‘one off’ Guernsey as our main one!

Every time the AFL approve another club wearing a 'heritage' guernsey its a big personal fu** YOU to the Port Adelaide Football Club

Clubs like Sydney and Brisbane get to honour their former identities whenever they want, Freo get to honour something they never were, yet we get the middle finger when we 'ask' to honour OUR TRADITION AND OUR OWN IDENTITY

This kind of sh*t drives me further away from this corrupt sport

Keep 'having the conversation'

It will achieve fu** all.. we need to force the issue

Our club is meek
Absolutely on the money, cap in hand forelock tuggers like Koch and Richardson are f****** the club backwards and sideways, we need the 2nd coming of a Bob McLean type to show imposters like them how a real football administrator gets things done.

s**t, if we started wearing the PB's every game I'd give in and get a Membership, even with Hinkley still as coach. There'd be a lot of people similarly feeling disengaged with the club that'd hop back on with a real fight to get behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DBE7FBB0-D284-4013-9023-C8DC619AA8E7.png

‘Protect the Prison Bars’ isn’t strong enough! That can simply mean make sure we can keep wearing them in the SANFL!

Which is s**t I’ve heard from a few places! Even as a reason to stay in the SANFL.

Kochie mentioned tonight

We need to fix the issue with the other club and then go to the AFL

1 what is the issue? Has the AFL come out and said yep we own the IP to both clubs and it is a clash? If so why not tell (whatever "the issue" may be)

2 That says to me the AFL don't want a part of it. How do you fix the issue? You just keep asking until they get tired of saying no? You pay them off?

View attachment 1330066

‘Protect the Prison Bars’ isn’t strong enough! That can simply mean make sure we can keep wearing them in the SANFL!

Which is sh*t I’ve heard from a few places! Even as a reason to stay in the SANFL.
Lol s**t starts from the top. 'Our goal is to win'. Win what? Can't even say the goal is to win a premiership. So weak.

Kochie mentioned tonight

1 what is the issue? Has the AFL come out and said yep we own the IP to both clubs and it is a clash? If so why not tell (whatever "the issue" may be)

2 That says to me the AFL don't want a part of it. How do you fix the issue? You just keep asking until they get tired of saying no? You pay them off?
I sent a question online saying what obscure relevance has Collingwood's opinion have anything to do with the PB decision??????????

Bet that wasn't addressed tonight 😡

I only started wearing a footy jumper to the footy because of the Bring Back The Bars campaign - it wouldn't normally be my thing. But I'll keep wearing the PBs each game, at least until we get the bare minimum requested. I've inculcated my son, and I'm sure others have done the same with their children. Hopefully it's enough to keep the issue alive for the long haul.

Kochie mentioned tonight

Then we can just wear it if the AFL are keeping out of it.
Collingwood have no ability to fine or dock us points.

Apparently you read the forums now David - read this.

In my opinion all you care about is your bank balance.
You are 65 years old, you can retire on your TV money and have a good life.

You could put a flag in the ground and say we are wearing the prison bars.
But you don't and that is pathetic.

---------

While you keep lining your nest, the people that have supported this club, both on the boundary fence and from their pockets, are dying off knowing that we are not wearing the jumper we should be, because you are more interested in lining your pockets than standing up for what the supporters and the members of this club want.

Only yesterday you said that the AFL only "theoretically" run the club, and that no club is run by committee, so what you are implying is you are solely responsible for running the club.

So it is 100% your decision to focus on continuing to line your pockets rather than properly supporting us in wearing our colours, the ones that matter, not the piss weak compromise that sees you pander to your media mates.

--------

It sickens me David, when I think of every person that has pulled on the prison bars and how you don't have their back.
To me you will always be the one who chose money over the prison bars.
I don't want them locked away in a museum, I want them on the national stage where they belong.

--------

Do the honourable thing and stand aside and let someone who honours our jumper take your place, or otherwise be remembered for what you are.
You are not the accountant, Smithy does all that work.
You are not the one providing all the dollars, that is us.
You are by your own words in charge and therefore responsible for the big decisions at the club.

Then make a big decision and advise the AFL we are wearing the prison bars for every home game this year, and for home finals, and then stand with us while we do it, whatever the consequences, or take your full pockets and piss off.

Last edited:
Our club has toured Victoria wearing the Bars playing the VFL Premiers umpteen times over the decades. The Vic-Wood world didn't crumble because of it.

I acknowledge that the AFLwood are uncompromising unjust *heads but to win this dogfight I am assuming that our current custodians must have sorted out its vision on its own identity and be fighting this with their strongest conviction ... ??

I only started wearing a footy jumper to the footy because of the Bring Back The Bars campaign - it wouldn't normally be my thing. But I'll keep wearing the PBs each game, at least until we get the bare minimum requested. I've inculcated my son, and I'm sure others have done the same with their children. Hopefully it's enough to keep the issue alive for the long haul.
Me too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back