Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We all know this will get rejected. Take it to court instead of being on this endless cycle.

I agree. Surely somewhere in corporate law there has to be something relating to the vfl being required to provide a level playing field, to give each club the best chance to generate maximum revenue, crowds and membership etc.

Even the so called 'agreements' that McChins is allowed to keep arguing with, that are never questioned, nor seemingly require any evidence of their actual existence.

A good mate of mine who shall remain nameless, is a lifelong wobbles supporter, member his whole adult life, and has told me, and texted on multiple occasions that he also doesn't mind if we wear it. And has said that other wobbles supporters (maybe a handful, and yes they're a very small minority) actually like the Prison Bars

Good onya Shawy...

AFL 2022: Collingwood great Tony Shaw backs Port Adelaide push to wear traditional prison-bars guernsey​

A Collingwood great says his former club should not stand in the way of Port Adelaide wearing their traditional prison-bar guernsey — on one proviso. [eventually mentioned below]

Collingwood great Tony Shaw has no problem with Port Adelaide wearing its prison-bar guernsey in Showdowns and says his former club should not stand in the way.

Port Adelaide is hoping to don its traditional, black-and-white jumper against the Crows in round 23 after having its rolling request to the AFL knocked back twice in 2021 then once again earlier this year.

The league has cited existing agreements and Collingwood’s disapproval as reasons behind its decisions.

Shaw, a Collingwood Hall of Famer, premiership captain and ex-coach, told News Corp the issue had nothing to do with his old side.

“We shouldn’t get caught up in that, we don’t need to get caught up in that stuff,” said Shaw, who played 313 games for the Victorian Magpies.

“How does it hurt Collingwood? How does it hurt our fans?
“We’re not involved in the game anyway.

“I love Collingwood, but how trivial is it … that (disapproving of Port Adelaide’s push) is the way. If it’s part of their (Port Adelaide’s) licence, then there’s probably a legal thing they have to cater to, but if it’s not … I’ve got no hassle at all.

“If they don’t wear it against Collingwood, it’s no issue for me.”

Collingwood was contacted for comment.

Port Adelaide and the AFL had nothing further to add on the issue.

Pretty disappointed that the club hasn’t released many training galleries during the season to show who was the hidden hero each week. Think I’ve seen like 1 person wearing the Prison Bars at training this year.
Collingwood didn't approve it.

McLachlan is on record not so long ago as admitting our request is ‘reasonable’.

Put the damn pressure on him. He wants to leave no fuss behind, and we’re talking of the last match of the season (for us) to be followed by a bye.

If our Club had any media or communications personnel worth their salt, any sub-contracted publicist with half a clue, our underdog story and our morally superior position would be put out there in no uncertain terms across two or three weekends of national press.

The timing is ideal. Our new Museum provides endless supporting visuals never before seen and anecdotes never before heard. We could pile on quality spin that would be not only real, true to life, and wholly entertaining, it would show up Collingwood to be the Victorian dinosaur, the dull, difficult and dodgy neighbour they are in this neighbourhood spat.

But do we have any such competent media, communications and/or publicity assets available to us? Of course we do. Are we going to make the effort that is needed? Of course we won’t.

We’ll just toss a bone to Rucci.
Actually McLachlan said that double this request is reasonable.

I know that's still giving in to them, but personally I can live with that if it means we are free to wear it otherwise. Just wear clash against them.
A fair outcome is that we wear the bars as our home guernsey every home game. A less than fair outcome but a somewhat reasonable compromise that I'd be reluctantly willing to accept is that we wear the bars as our home guernsey every home game except when we play Collingwood. The fact that we're asking for 10 games less than that and still not getting it is an absolute indictment on the AFL.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know that's still giving in to them, but personally I can live with that if it means we are free to wear it otherwise. Just wear clash against them.
It's not really giving in to them. It is just sensible, something you could never accuse Eddie or Gill of being.

A fair outcome is that we wear the bars as our home guernsey every home game. A less than fair outcome but a somewhat reasonable compromise that I'd be reluctantly willing to accept is that we wear the bars as our home guernsey every home game except when we play Collingwood. The fact that we're asking for 10 games less than that and still not getting it is an absolute indictment on the AFL.
It's an indictment on Port.

It seems that all other clubs must at least have an option in the event of a clash. 3 teams wearing blue and white doesn't seem to be an issue.
My personal wish is that we wear the Prison Bars in ALL home games, ALL showdowns and ALL away games where it will not be a clash eg. swans, suns, gws etc.
But I agree we wear a clash option playing the wobbles at the MCG
I believe wobbles should have a clash option (pink, green and orange:devil:) as every other club has.

Wwhhhhoooaaaaaaa..................................................................................what the firetruck was I thinking?
Level playing field :poo::straining:

Sheedy was on AA last night and Ginever asked him about it. Sheedy was all for it. Said he loved the jumper especially the old lace up version. Said when he came to Adelaide as early as the 70s he used to go to the bloke who made them (and he knew his name) and grab a couple. Rambled on about trying to get Richmond to wear them as and alternate guernsey or somethng which I didn't quite understand, but said Port should wear them. Whether he's same thing on a Victorian show, who knows?

Sheedy was on AA last night and Ginever asked him about it. Sheedy was all for it. Said he loved the jumper especially the old lace up version. Said when he came to Adelaide as early as the 70s he used to go to the bloke who made them (and he knew his name) and grab a couple. Rambled on about trying to get Richmond to wear them as and alternate guernsey or somethng which I didn't quite understand, but said Port should wear them. Whether he's same thing on a Victorian show, who knows?

Can't be a bad thing having someone so high profile (plus tony shaw) saying positive things around the Prison Bars.
Great time to push this, let's fuel the anti collywobbles sentiment to our advantage

Maybe we compromise and say we'll wear teal in our PB kit?

Could be a thin teal stripe (bar!!!) down each side of the top - under the arm pits ( actually, it probably would go un-noticed unless our players were putting their arms above their heads eg. when attempting a mark, and only then noticeable in slo mo replays or still shots - but let's not tell the AFL or the Wobblers that :cool:;)).

Sheedy wanted a yellow & black prison bar jumper for Richmond to wear. Had a mock up made and took it back to try and get it off the ground he was that enamoured with the design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This may not be a popular stance and I understand.

After giving it some thought, I'm not sure if it's the way to go any more. Don't get me wrong i grew up with the bars and wanted us wearing it but all this crap about who we are and our identity crisis needs to stop.

Future supporters say in 20 years or so won't give a s**t, they didn't grow up with that famous jumper and it will not have the same meaning to them as it does to some of us, just like some of the new breed of supporters don't care if we make Grand Finals any more, as long as they can go along and get entertainment value at AO.

We also now have a women's team, so do they wear the jumper in Showdowns?

I am starting to do a complete turn around on wearing the bars, if we are allowed to wear it in all games except against Collingwood, then yes we should wear it. All this almost begging the AFL to wear it is getting embarrassing, we are big boys now so lets get on with winning flags because without success it just takes away from that jumper and we are perceived as living in the past when we were a big fish in a small pond.

At the end of the day I love the bars and would like to remember the jumper with pride and success, like Buckley said, when putting the bars on he felt invincible.

Our current strip is in my opinion a good looking jumper and I hope the Ladies wear the same.

So for me it's all or nothing, I can understand not wearing it against Collingwood but any other club should not be an issue.

Last edited:
Maybe we compromise and say we'll wear teal in our PB kit?

Could be a thin teal stripe (bar!!!) down each side of the top - under the arm pits ( actually, it probably would go un-noticed unless our players were putting their arms above their heads eg. when attempting a mark, and only then noticeable in slo mo replays or still shots - but let's not tell the AFL or the Wobblers that :cool:;)).
Just put the full logo on the guernsey. There's a teal line around the outside of the shield. Done. We've got our "3" colours on it.

I'm happy with the clubs stance

PB's once a year at Home Showdowns is enough
It's a solid nod to our history and means the PBs and the Maggies history will never be forgotton
But it must be every year without fear, fail or question

Otherwise the BIB is a great jumper
We are now the PAFC playing as The Power
Our jumper should reflect this

Sheedy also said this publicly on a club video couple of years ago.

David Parkin too

So in other words, he knows that there is no legal leg to stand on and in fact that the behaviour of his predecessor in drafting and signing that 2007 agreement would not hold up if matters get legal.

This is all about helping Collingwood, a power Victorian club, save face. IMO we should be pushing harder, not softer, because we'll end up being served table scraps and told to love it.

The problem is that after 25 years we are still stuck in the same position of repeatedly begging to wear it and it is getting us nowhere.

My opinion is that we should push to wear the black & white prison bars for heritage rounds, whether they are AFL sanctioned heritage rounds or just against the Crows.

However, more importantly, we should bring out a redesign of the prison bars to wear PERMANENTLY.

Regardless of whether or not we think that Collingwood should have a say in the matter, the fact is that they do have a powerful say in the matter. So if instead we were to go to Collingwood and say, look we are prepared to compromise on the jumper design so we can wear it permanently, but we also want to wear the traditional prison bars in heritage round, I think Collingwood would be much more receptive to that than us just demanding that we wear the prison bars.

What do people think of something like this as a permanent home jumper? There is also an away jumper design on the video.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back