Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I don't receive a clear, positive signal from the club regarding the PBs before next season, I'm ready to drop my memberships. I've been a member for 16 uninterrupted years so I know it will hurt me more than it will hurt them. Especially being the 150th, etc. But I'm reaching the conclusion that I've been supporting an idealised version of the PAFC that I made up in my head and doesn't actually exist.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If I don't receive a clear, positive signal from the club regarding the PBs before next season, I'm ready to drop my memberships. I've been a member for 16 uninterrupted years so I know it will hurt me more than it will hurt them. Especially being the 150th, etc. But I'm reaching the conclusion that I've been supporting an idealised version of the PAFC that I made up in my head and doesn't actually exist.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This is my concern. Do I love Port Adelaide, or do I just love the idea of Port Adelaide?

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd dropped my auto-renew end of last year and only decided on signing up when the PB campaign started up. It got me enthused for what was good for the club. If the club pisses on that and Hinkley is still there I'm not renewing. That'd be after 23 continuous years (from our AFL entry in 1997 onwards). I preferred the s**t show that was 2008-2012, when I was one of the rusted on's at the concrete crow-bowl then the current cluster*.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
... and Port supporters then took it as their own and used the 'sledge' as a badge of honour.

It's not up to you, or me, or Jenny Williams to decide what is correct, it's up to the masses and they have clearly resonated with the Prison Bar nickname.

That's how language works.

I'd also add that the Wharf Pylon story does actually have some questions about its validity as well, but it's a great story and strengthens the ties to the local area.

The first design had the bars surrounding the back prior to the addition of the numbers, if I'm correct, which makes the wharf pylons the closest reason. Amazing how there isn't any written reference.

This is my concern. Do I love Port Adelaide, or do I just love the idea of Port Adelaide?

You love what Port Adelaide used to be.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You love what Port Adelaide used to be.
This is what it boils down to really. It's just each person has a different point where they draw a red line (even if only subconsciously) of where 'Port' now is no longer related to the Port they knew. I'd say the betrayal of trust of the fan base (Co-Captains against our express wishes, ignoring the PB campaign as much as possible) is the bigger issue. Even if the club got rid of the 3 K's tomorrow, it'd take a long time before I could trust the club again.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Petition on almost 10.5k!

Also can anyone tell me what Rucci wrote about Port fans, we shouldn't be blinded by the bars?
Haven't read the article (paywall), but from reading responses, that the BiB guernsey should remain. The article was then re-tweeted by Koch.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Edifices come and go, symbols endure...

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1
How any port supporter wants to keep the current failed design over our only traditional guernsey, the most successful guernsey and the only design that is truly port adelaide astounds me.

Haven't read the article (paywall), but from reading responses, that the BiB guernsey should remain. The article was then re-tweeted by Koch.
The late Dean Koch would be looking down in filial anger and disappointment.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Anyone seriously think that the whole surveys not a stitch up now?

Our BiB was ******* rushed in to shut the PBer's up back then. I was a stern no because it was always going to be like this that once it's in it can be used to shut down any talk of arguing for our greatest guernsey. This is exactly what's happening, it wasn't even great it's not even unique it was just at the time a great feel good PR story they ran with and anything was better than what we had. I mean yeah we've had such great success in it not.

Oct 7, 2004
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I used to put on my PB guernsey as a kid and would strut around like i was 12 foot tall and bulletproof.
The guernsey made me feel like that because of what it was and what it represented
It symbolised what Port Adelaide was. Tough. Feared. Respected. Hated. Successful

I miss that club

I think you guys are right. I loved what Port Adelaide used to be but its becoming obvious that the only thing that remains of the Port Adelaide Fooball Club that i grew up adoring is its name

Last edited:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Anyone seriously think that the whole surveys not a stitch up now?

Our BiB was ******* rushed in to shut the PBer's up back then. I was a stern no because it was always going to be like this that once it's in it can be used to shut down any talk of arguing for our greatest guernsey. This is exactly what's happening, it wasn't even great it's not even unique it was just at the time a great feel good PR story they ran with and anything was better than what we had. I mean yeah we've had such great success in it not.
Agree totally.

The BiB was so popular because it looks like a footy guernsey, and it replaced a 90s monstrosity that had never really captured the imagination of the supporter base. It's a reaction to poor branding decisions made in the mid 90s.

There is no soul in it, and it would be forgotten in seconds if we went back the Prison Bars.

Agree totally.

The BiB was so popular because it looks like a footy guernsey, and it replaced a 90s monstrosity that had never really captured the imagination of the supporter base. It's a reaction to poor branding decisions made in the mid 90s.

There is no soul in it, and it would be forgotten in seconds if we went back the Prison Bars.

Nearly 10 completed seasons without a finals win in it too. It's a decent guernsey but it's eminently replaceable.

How any port supporter wants to keep the current failed design over our only traditional guernsey, the most successful guernsey and the only design that is truly port adelaide astounds me.

you mean literally every single person here who all loved it and wanted the "current failed design" to be ours for 100 years just a few years ago? you have been posting since 2014 so how can that astound you, everyone unanimously loved it

Myself and bomberclifford met with the club yesterday and they were very supportive of our campaign. They assured us that everyone at the club is on board with bringing back the bars in some capacity (especially for showdowns) and are working hard to make it happen.

Everything was positive from them and their passion for the PB’s was clear throughout the meeting.

Full time PB’s are of course unlikely, but they are battling hard for IN 2020 and will continue battling for FROM 2020.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Myself and bomberclifford met with the club yesterday and they were very supportive of our campaign. They assured us that everyone at the club is on board with bringing back the bars in some capacity (especially for showdowns) and are working hard to make it happen.

Everything was positive from them and their passion for the PB’s was clear throughout the meeting.

Full time PB’s are of course unlikely, but they are battling hard for IN 2020 and will continue battling for FROM 2020.

Good news! You guys are doing brilliant work. Hopefully they are well aware that the campaign continues until successful.

Not something they can afford to not achieve IMO.

Edit: If the club can't achieve it because the AFL aren't being reasonable, the club taking a strong public stand on it is absolutely vital.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back