Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't see this episode of the Front Bar because I was up in the Flinders Ranges in a `ghost town' called Beltana which was where the maternal great grandparents lived back in the 1880's, but whether Choco eventually got his point across regarding the PB's in showdowns or not, unfortunately he and at least one other of his siblings (I will cut Stephen some slack because I am not aware of him making any public comment on the guernsey issue) come across as totally self centred when giving their opinions on what they appear to believe is their personal `family club.'

In my humble opinion the more outspoken members of the William's clan would be better off shutting the f*ck up about a number of club issues where they have thrown their oar in the water, before they do any more damage to Fos's legacy!

Thing is he did absolutely 100% declare he supports us wearing it for showdowns. That won't make the headline.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

... and so it comes to pass.

I guess that the headline "David Koch finds unexpected ally in fight over black and white guernsey" re Nathan Buckley's support for Port Adelaide's position, isn't a good enough headline.

I guess that the headline "Collingwood argues tradition on guernsey, but decides women's team not worthy of wearing it" isn't a good enough headline.

“I’m fully supportive of Eddie. Collingwood has the black and white guernsey and Port Adelaide have got teal in their guernsey.”

Williams also objected to the jumper being described as the prison-bar guernsey, noting his father, Fos Williams, "never once used that term" 263d8c8b65f6bb06b30023529f32dade.jpg

I think he means the story got lost in the headline.

Is that a double fault?

d7qfR6cgTxcRFF41p2WdfmeUS7sYzP96WSv0aCX3azHVpmeD8mVJUytK3p8P3Z4WDddIAig

Even though what he said is basically what the club is going for he's ****ed the club in the court of public opinion. And people want this loose cannon back at the club in some capacity. Yeesh.

Choco basically said that the club should only wear it in Showdowns because we are a teal team now and need to move on from the SANFL days. The implication was that given the choice, he wouldn't want the club wearing it aside from in Showdowns.

The club's stance is that we are requesting to wear it in Showdowns only. This does not mean the club wouldn't want to wear it in every game if they believed that was actually a possibility.

So unless Choco is in on some strategic propaganda campaign by the club (doubtful), what he said is actually different from what the club has said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Choco still wondering why he is largely a persona non grata...moments like this should help him understand why.

Though it’s sh*t sounding and most of us don’t agree, Chocco is merely following the clubs line and what they are actually asking for.

Showdowns only.
Bingo.

Though it’s sh*t sounding and most of us don’t agree, Chocco is merely following the clubs line and what they are actually asking for.

Showdowns only.

Exactly. In wage negotiations it's what is called an 'ambit claim'.

Deliberately exaggerate what it is you want to generate outrage so that they end up settling on something smaller - which is actually what you really wanted in the first place.

"Want to wear prison bars at every home game? No *in' way. We'll just let you wear them at showdowns!! Take that you upstarts!"

Well played, Chocco. Well played.

Choco basically said that the club should only wear it in Showdowns because we are a teal team now and need to move on from the SANFL days. The implication was that given the choice, he wouldn't want the club wearing it aside from in Showdowns.

The club's stance is that we are requesting to wear it in Showdowns only. This does not mean the club wouldn't want to wear it in every game if they believed that was actually a possibility.

So unless Choco is in on some strategic propaganda campaign by the club (doubtful), what he said is actually different from what the club has said.
This is probably the only area where I differ from the club.
Has to definitively be 2 games a year, every year.
F*** the away Showdown.
It's the home showdown plus one other ( maybe Anzac round).
And if we ever get to a stage where we only have one Showdown a season, and that season the SD happens to be a Cows home one, then it's two games of our choice ( say Anzac round plus one other home game we choose).

And right on cue, following Choco’s comments I received a message in the footy team group chat from a Collingwood fan about how the bars are s**t and we’ll never wear them and other slanderous comments about the club. A shame really as one of the two Port fans on the team I’m a very humble fan and never say anything bad about other teams. So Mark Williams, you sir, are a *******, and that’s coming from me, a Port Adelaide and Werribee fan. Your father’s name undoubtedly stands head and shoulders above everyone else at the club, but is in no way bigger than the club. The black and white colours predate his career at Port by 48 years, it’s not your family’s heirloom to dictate the use of it, and your damaging comments are only hurting the push to bring them back in any form, consigning the club’s legacy (including your fathers’ as well as your playing career) to history. And nobody wants that. Choose your words more carefully, and finally we might see some respect put on the club’s proud history, until then you’re just being counterproductive to anything pre-1997.

Exactly. In wage negotiations it's what is called an 'ambit claim'.

Deliberately exaggerate what it is you want to generate outrage so that they end up settling on something smaller - which is actually what you really wanted in the first place.

"Want to wear prison bars at every home game? No fu**in' way. We'll just let you wear them at showdowns!! Take that you upstarts!"

Well played, Chocco. Well played.

I don't see how asking to wear it for both showdowns is exaggerating what we want and I don't agree that Choco played it well.

I am open to being enlightened on what I am missing about the club's plan of attack.

Really frustrating to have this sort of thing muddy the waters... Plays into the hands of social media nuffies who, either by ignorance or spite, use these comments as some validation of their incorrect view on the club.

The idea that adding a colour and changing a nickname to enter a new competition somehow invalidates the previous 127 years of history really irks me. I had to explain this to a person at my work this week, a Hawthorn supporter, I asked them whether Hawthorn's foundation date changed when they moved competitions from the VFA to VFL, and then if their foundation date and history changed when they changed their nickname from the Mayblooms to the Hawks, she correctly said no to both... When I applied the same principle to our situation she agreed with me, however the vast majority of the great unwashed have already got their view on our club, built from two decades of media falsehoods, and choose to cling to it. Comments like those from Williams, considered by the great unwashed as a Port Adelaide person, really do us a disservice in trying to correct this narrative.

And right on cue, following Choco’s comments I received a message in the footy team group chat from a Collingwood fan about how the bars are sh*t and we’ll never wear them and other slanderous comments about the club. A shame really as one of the two Port fans on the team I’m a very humble fan and never say anything bad about other teams. So Mark Williams, you sir, are a *******, and that’s coming from me, a Port Adelaide and Werribee fan. Your father’s name undoubtedly stands head and shoulders above everyone else at the club, but is in no way bigger than the club. The black and white colours predate his career at Port by 48 years, it’s not your family’s heirloom to dictate the use of it, and your damaging comments are only hurting the push to bring them back in any form, consigning the club’s legacy (including your fathers’ as well as your playing career) to history. And nobody wants that. Choose your words more carefully, and finally we might see some respect put on the club’s proud history, until then you’re just being counterproductive to anything pre-1997.

He had no feel for the room. Not our room anyway, selfish and not something Jack or even Ken would do on national TV.

If Choco had just left out the “I’m with Eddie on this one..... Collingwood are black and white”, there would be no articles whatsoever. The bit that most media outlets have missed is Eddie doesn’t want us wearing them at all so is Choco really with him?

The man who wrote Winning Ugly, looks resplendent in the Bars. Better late than late, from the US Open.

Long time ESPN sports anchor and play by play tennis commentator Sam Gore. Click the right arrow and you see him sitting at the desk with the bars on discussing the US open with Darren and Rennae Stubbs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back