Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right!

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

PA88

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Victorian heritage is important. 120 year old prison bar jumper isn't because not from the VFL...Also Port are denied marketing merchandise without teal frequently. Geelong and Carlton's merchandise is the same other than logos.
Correct for official merch. I was told by a Port Store manager years ago that McGuire protested in our early years about it and got his way. Apparently right down to the percentage of white we are allowed on predominantly black merch, basically the white on the logo. The club just accepts it.

PA88

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There's lots of examples of leagues banning clubs from wearing the same colours though.
Probably US professional leagues only. The US professional sports leagues have a rationale for this approach to their franchises (new franchises) colour schemes and the AFL adopted that, among many things.

chiwigi

I’ll make tears from your Wines.
Apr 9, 2009
Port Adelaide Zone
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Probably US professional leagues only. The US professional sports leagues have a rationale for this approach to their franchises (new franchises) colour schemes and the AFL adopted that, among many things.
Hahaha! No they don’t, have you ever watched professional US sport? Half the teams are red, white and blue!

Alex09

Debutant
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Correct for official merch. I was told by a Port Store manager years ago that McGuire protested in our early years about it and got his way. Apparently right down to the percentage of white we are allowed on predominantly black merch, basically the white on the logo. The club just accepts it.
This is why I just don't think ever relying on the club to get its way through dealing with the AFL is going to yield anything much. It all comes back to needing to be fan driven like the black and white only cheer squad idea to generate some actual pressure which can't be swept aside.

PA88

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hahaha! No they don’t, have you ever watched professional US sport? Half the teams are red, white and blue!
Yep. It is pedantic but the colour schemes have variant shades but who can tell the difference. Navy blue or midnight navy blue or deep steel blue or Dodger blue. Whilst you think teams may be red, blue and white only, some have either a variant or they have a fourth colour that you hardly notice. Particularly the NFL teams. There's red and scarlet red and cardinal red. Their leagues identify these variants as being different enough.

The AFL only want Collingwood to have the black and white vertical stripe brand.

Last edited:

glitch01

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2009
Dubai
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester United Portland Timbers
So the AFL had a year to consider Tasmania’s proposal re their involvement in the AFL. The AFL now want another year to consider it.
I get that this is a far bigger issue, but it still highlights why we should have already been pushing for the Prison Bars last year.
By the time we approach the AFL and they make a decision another season will be over.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Interstater

Bruce Light fan club
Jun 7, 2015
SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yep. It is pedantic but the colour schemes have variant shades but who can tell the difference. Navy blue or midnight navy blue or deep steel blue or Dodger blue. Whilst you think teams may be red, blue and white only, some have either a variant or they have a fourth colour that you hardly notice. Particularly the NFL teams. There's red and scarlet red and cardinal red. Their leagues identify these variants as being different enough.

The AFL only want Collingwood to have the black and white vertical stripe brand.
I'm happy for us to go very dark charcoal and white.

Andre

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So the AFL had a year to consider Tasmania’s proposal re their involvement in the AFL. The AFL now want another year to consider it.
I get that this is a far bigger issue, but it still highlights why we should have already been pushing for the Prison Bars last year.
By the time we approach the AFL and they make a decision another season will be over.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nah, it’s all about the AFL doesn’t want to change the status quo in both cases, but doesn’t want any criticism so just says ‘give us more time to decide’.

Alex09

Debutant
May 15, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nah, it’s all about the AFL doesn’t want to change the status quo in both cases, but doesn’t want any criticism so just says ‘give us more time to decide’.
Who doesn't enjoy "looking into it" as a polite way to fob off a request they don't want to know about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

malcheski

#BringBackTheBars
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Can someone please explain to me why Saint Kilda are allowed to have black and white vertical stripes?
Especially if you get him to rotate clockwise 45 degrees.

View attachment 1060995
Word is Eddie cracked it over their 2004 clash jumper as it had black and white stripes

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

beenreal

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2003
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
This is why I just don't think ever relying on the club to get its way through dealing with the AFL is going to yield anything much. It all comes back to needing to be fan driven like the black and white only cheer squad idea to generate some actual pressure which can't be swept aside.
I feel very confident that the PAFC will eventually get its way. But we'll have to work really hard for it and earn it, just like everything else we've achieved!

VineValerian

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
So Collingwood DON'T hold the trademark for colours or guernseys!
Beautiful.

So this means that the CFC have no argument to mount.

This means that the AFL can allow more than one club to have the colours black and white and more than one club to have a striped kit (and a different pattern of stripe as it turns out).

So bloody get on with it AFL and give us the nod!

bomberclifford

Importer/Exporter
Sep 2, 2005
Cerebral Cortex
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
So Collingwood DON'T hold the trademark for colours or guernseys!
Beautiful.

So this means that the CFC have no argument to mount.

This means that the AFL can allow more than one club to have the colours black and white and more than one club to have a striped kit (and a different pattern of stripe as it turns out).

So bloody get on with it AFL and give us the nod!
ergo: Collingwood aren’t the problem.

Remove this Banner Ad