Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Money talks.

I would be offering Collingwood a percentage of revenue generated from prison bar AFL merchandise in exchange for the right to use it in a certain amount of games. I personally want to be able to wear it in all finals, ANZAC Day and both Showdowns.

lmao

Ok wise man, what is your suggestion on how you would go about getting us to wear the bars on a regular basis in all showdowns, finals and ANZAC Day games? Because Collingwood aren't just going to give that to us out of the goodness of their hearts - and the AFL are too pathetic to intervene otherwise.

Ok wise man, what is your suggestion on how you would go about getting us to wear the bars on a regular basis in all showdowns, finals and ANZAC Day games? Because Collingwood aren't just going to give that to us out of the goodness of their hearts - and the AFL are too pathetic to intervene otherwise.
I think he's just laughing at the absurdity of it, but the way Ed's eyes lit up when $ was mentioned as part of getting both parties to agree on something gives the point you make some concerning validity.

Grow the pie Port, Become a net giver hurr hurr meanwhile can we take some $ for the merch.. it's moronic.

us fans should want to wear the bars full time. what you're talking about is so far off the original desire that it's a travesty. we should pay collingwood to wear our favorite guernsey 3 times a year? lol we should be demanding from our own board they make our home jumper the bars, as we want it. don't buy into all these parties trying to play this crap out in public, put the pressure on our club to sort out our home jumper with the league, it's that simple. forget about collingwood and focus on our own club not giving us what we want.

I think he's just laughing at the absurdity of it, but the way Ed's eyes lit up when $ was mentioned as part of getting both parties to agree on something gives the point you make some concerning validity.

Grow the pie Port, Become a net giver hurr hurr meanwhile can we take some $ for the merch.. it's moronic.

It is absurd. I don’t think anyone would deny that it isn't.

But I fail to see what leverage we have to get Collingwood to give us the right to the prison bars through negotiations and words only. The AFL are pathetic in that they just defer to Collingwood on the issue, and does anyone think Collingwood would come out and just say "ok port we have been unreasonable here you can wear it on the regular now."

Anyone who thinks the scenario above is a possibility is beyond kidding themselves.

The only way to get this to happen (wear the bars on an ongoing basis) is via some creative outside the box solutions. I actually think we would have a strong case if we took this to the legal courts, but then you're opening up another can of worms because if you won that battle the AFL would be looking to ream us in other ways within their own competition guidelines such that this probably isn't going to be the best course or action.

No payments to Collingwood required.

I'd rather we didn't wear them if we had to demean ourselves by paying Collingwood for the privilege.

Our PB guernsey has so much power as a symbol of our fight for the right to acknowledge our identity, our heritage and our history, that even if the AFL said we could wear it in both Showdowns but we had to sign away the rights to wear it outside of that, we should refuse.

Wearing it twice a year against the Crows only is a lose-lose situation. As a symbol of our club it is diminished and representative of being corralled and put in our place, which means it loses its value as merch. It becomes a symbol of our defeat.

I want our club to keep pushing but not rollover at the first sign of a little win being thrown our way.
It's self-determination on when and where we wear it, or it's nothing.

One caveat on this, if the AFL allowed us to wear it in our Anzac Day games against varying opponents (excl Collingwood and Essendon of course) I would take it in a heart beat. That's a worthy lock-away game on the fixture that celebrates the club's heritage and history in an authentic way. It preserves the guernsey in a showcase game against a wide range of opponents and gets seen across the country by those groups of supporters.

I get why the Showdowns were proposed, but as I said earlier, the need to attach ourselves to these games has passed. The agreement that gave that tactic potential for success is now null and void.

Looking at the pitiful Showdown trophy and medal on Saturday night made me realise that "SA Football Heritage" is a mountain of pissant nothingness in comparison to our own history and heritage. We need to extract ourselves from the faux SA Greatness that they've tried to attach to Showdowns and forge our own path that relates to our club and the people that got us to where we are now.

Ideal options for me:
  1. Given the right to choose when and where we wear the guernsey, with a reluctant exclusion for games against Collingwood, and a limit to 2-3 games per season, or
  2. Perpetual right to wear the PBs in our Anzac Day fixture against any opponent.
Anything else would be a compromise that devalues the guernsey, and ultimately, our club.

It's really something that shouldn't be entered into without approval of the members.

Philosophically I agree, but that's not how our constitution is set up.

Our PB guernsey has so much power as a symbol of our fight for the right to acknowledge our identity, our heritage and our history, that even if the AFL said we could wear it in both Showdowns but we had to sign away the rights to wear it outside of that, we should refuse.

Wearing it twice a year against the Crows only is a lose-lose situation. As a symbol of our club it is diminished and representative of being corralled and put in our place, which means it loses its value as merch. It becomes a symbol of our defeat.

I want our club to keep pushing but not rollover at the first sign of a little win being thrown our way.
It's self-determination on when and where we wear it, or it's nothing.

One caveat on this, if the AFL allowed us to wear it in our Anzac Day games against varying opponents (excl Collingwood and Essendon of course) I would take it in a heart beat. That's a worthy lock-away game on the fixture that celebrates the club's heritage and history in an authentic way. It preserves the guernsey in a showcase game against a wide range of opponents and gets seen across the country by those groups of supporters.

I get why the Showdowns were proposed, but as I said earlier, the need to attach ourselves to these games has passed. The agreement that gave that tactic potential for success is now null and void.

Looking at the pitiful Showdown trophy and medal on Saturday night made me realise that "SA Football Heritage" is a mountain of pissant nothingness in comparison to our own history and heritage. We need to extract ourselves from the faux SA Greatness that they've tried to attach to Showdowns and forge our own path that relates to our club and the people that got us to where we are now.

Ideal options for me:
  1. Given the right to choose when and where we wear the guernsey, with a reluctant exclusion for games against Collingwood, and a limit to 2-3 games per season, or
  2. Perpetual right to wear the PBs in our Anzac Day fixture against any opponent.
Anything else would be a compromise that devalues the guernsey, and ultimately, our club.
Concur.

I have a pleasant tickle under my scrotum that tells me something may be going on below the belt - Eddie’s belt, that is; he becomes less relevant, more just a hoarse voice in the crowd, as the clock ticks on.

The recent retro exercise involving the Swans, Lions and Freo has quietly provided us with a national billboard of support amongst other clubs and consequently their support base. There is a plan.

The away showdown red herring has always been, for me, just that - a red herring, a sacrificial decoy.

ANZAC round home game? Yes. Always has been, for me.

Hopefully the Club will update us very soon on three topics that are starting to lag, like my scrotum:
1) The Bars;
2) Chasing Greatness Fund expanded horizons;
3) Our next major partner/s (as extra to, and back-up for, GFG and its penchant for negative publicity that we sure don’t need … especially on our Bars kit.)

It's not that absurd, though the optics are s**t.
If Collingwood are getting some of the pie, they will be encouraged to grow that pie and allow sales and games.

The flip side to that is the amount will be too insignificant for Collingwood to care.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Money talks.

I would be offering Collingwood a percentage of revenue generated from prison bar AFL merchandise in exchange for the right to use it in a certain amount of games. ...
We 100% should not be paying Collingwood a royalty for us wearing a non-Collingwood guernsey.

They have as much say in what guernsey we are allowed to wear as any other AFL club. We need to keep pressuring, and embarrassing the AFL, on this point until they grow a pair and stop kowtowing to Collingwood.

I know that many will disagree but I think this is a reasonable compromise.

View attachment 1200745
All home games (including finals) in the one above, except ANZAC Day which is the black and white only

or

All Anzac Days and finals (except against Collingwood) in the black and white PBs and the chevrons for the rest.
Shrink the teal to an inch thick, maybe.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

I know that many will disagree but I think this is a reasonable compromise.

View attachment 1200745
All home games (including finals) in the one above, except ANZAC Day which is the black and white only

or

All Anzac Days and finals (except against Collingwood) in the black and white PBs and the chevrons for the rest.
What the actual feck?

When in our history have we worn that guernsey?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back