Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dwayno reckons PAFC "signed an agreement that it would never be worn again".

Hmmmm...

... or that they knew they couldn't deliver on because they had already made the deal with the AFL.

The issue of support for the PBs is not moot in my opinion because the actions of the current board and management suggest that this is an issue that is done and dusted for them. They are managing us through the transition away from the PBs. They'll drop them from the reserves team within 12months. Once that happens, the issue is dead.

If we want to make a difference, we need to be crystal clear on what our agenda is and not muddy the waters with a niche agenda that is easier to ignore.

I would even go so far as to state, quite bluntly, that as supporters we are suspicious about the lack of action on this front, hence our call for action.

Observations made on the way we have managed our identity over the last few years. More teal. More grey. No mention of PBs since 2014 other than some rumours going through the supporter network. Constant issues with the Magpie identity in the SANFL. Suspiciously worded survey that led people away from support of the PBs. Strangely not capitalising on the 2014 EF guernsey momentum.

Once the reserves team is no longer wearing the PBs on a weekly basis, the guernsey becomes a historical artefact only.
The further along the timeline we move from that point, the more unlikely it will be that we'll ever wear it again.

Dwayno reckons PAFC "signed an agreement that it would never be worn again".

If he's making s**t up in aid of our cause - ie to flush out the AFL to say that no such agreement exists or no decision has been made on this - then good on Dwayne. Even if it's just to boost SEN SA's ratings and has the same effect then okay.

But if he's right, then I may not be joining in the 150th celebrations.
Since when does an agreement mean anything. They get negotiated and broken all the time. This is a cop out and if it does exist shouldn't be considered a barrier which can't be overcome.

Since when does an agreement mean anything. They get negotiated and broken all the time. This is a cop out and if it does exist shouldn't be considered a barrier which can't be overcome.

Sounds like crap to me - for what bloody purpose would we sign such an agreement. Unless it was to get the AFL onside for our China venture. :huh:

Sounds like crap to me - for what bloody purpose would we sign such an agreement. Unless it was to get the AFL onside for our China venture. :huh:
If we did it could have been to grease the wheels for our reentry, like we were made to send the Port Magpies away to Ethelton.

Either way point stands, it means nothing.

If he's right, who ever signed that should be black listed and never allowed on the grounds of Alberton nor be allowed to have anything to do with PAFC ever again

If true then it happened when John James was CEO. There's been a belief that he agreed to it and it was signed. We didn't wear it again until 2014. James made some statement at a members meeting that alluded to such an agreement. He expressed that he was tired of the fight and told us that Heritage Round was going to end that season. I think that was during his last season with us.

Last edited:
This jumper stuff is a non-issue around the world. Clubs cope with teams that have similar colours and design.

We as supporters have been made to feel that we're asking too much to expect to wear the black and white jumper and that we have to forge a new identity but that's nonsense. It's been Collingwood's objective that if we don’t wear it for long enough then the passion to push to wear it permanently will diminish until nobody at Port will value it. This is what Collingwood have hoped would happen. Well it has worked to some extent and as more time passes on their goal will be achieved and that jumper will mean zilch whilst Collingwood and all the other clubs get to wear their true jumpers with that aspect of their club heavily guarded by the AFL. Whilst these clubs honour and protect their primary jumper we have to bin ours.

I believe we should fight until it is our primary jumper. I haven't been conditioned by all the "but we can't because Collingwood and the AFL". I refuse to be conditioned. I don't believe we should be hoping to roll it out on 'special occasions' because wearing it in any game is special. I don't want to wear it in Showdowns only because it is more worthy of being worn against old successful clubs.

If we're not wearing it as a primary jumper inside 20 years then the love and admiration for it by Port Adelaide people will be gone forever. How terribly wrong that would be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Even if there is an agreement who gives a s**t, it’s already been ignored on two occasions anyway (2013 and 2014) and contracts in the AFL are practically worthless as it is. No one gets held to anything these days.

On that agreements (on a side note - how could anyone actually be dumb enough to sign it ?) How can Collingwood own exclusive rights of colours ? They cant ! (Just FYI have a look at Liverpool and Manchesters primary colour, probably the biggest rivalry in the EPL, no issues there)

Perhaps we can argue restraint of trade ? Banning us from wearing something we've worn for over 100 years ?

Now assuming that that agreement does in-fact exist, Worst case we could look to introduce a touch of teal to the Prison Bars? Not something id really like to do because they old so much significance. Preferably just around the collars and shoulder trim because its nice and subtle and doesn't really change the guernsey whilst introducing our other colour. Worst case maybe even look at bringing in teal above the horizontal band ? Which whilst this is changing the design which i'm be very very hesitant to do, it is actually whats in the back ground of our Logo (behind the arm and thunder bolt)

Did Dwayne Russell say there was an agreement signed in 2014? Who signed it?

The members should at least have a say before some idiot signs away our most historic jumper.

We have to respect agreements now do we?
1550286994128394780866905258659.jpg

1997 - Port Adelaide 10th
Collingwood 11th

1998 - Port Adelaide 10th
Collingwood 14th

1999 - Port Adelaide 7th
Collingwood 16th

2000 - Port Adelaide 14th
Collingwood 15th

2001 - Port Adelaide 5th
Collingwood 9th

We more than met our side of the deal

Crappy sideways photo from Norman Ashton's book Destiny

We have to respect agreements now do we?
View attachment 620402

1997 - Port Adelaide 10th
Collingwood 11th

1998 - Port Adelaide 10th
Collingwood 14th

1999 - Port Adelaide 7th
Collingwood 16th

2000 - Port Adelaide 14th
Collingwood 15th

2001 - Port Adelaide 5th
Collingwood 9th

We more than met our side of the deal

Crappy sideways photo from Norman Ashton's book Destiny

Ha! We did it straight out of the gate too when people thought we’d finish stone motherless last in 1997.

I call BS but if there is any truth the men who made that decision without informing the members should all be sacked, I'd rather us have worn teal lycra bodysuits than sign away the right to the PB's forever for a once off.

Karl Langdon **** me "Teal is their colour" last I checked black and white are also our main colours ffs this obsession about teal overriding everything in the media is whack & always has been.

Did Dwayne Russell say there was an agreement signed in 2014? Who signed it?

The members should at least have a say before some idiot signs away our most historic jumper.

I don't think Dwayne has got it all correct if he's stating 2014 because the belief has been that if an agreement was signed it was done by John James years prior to 2014. Look agreements are worth zilch anyway. The AFL does what it pleases when it pleases.

I've been given the impression of a much more positive outcome about 2020 and our Black&White jumper (which should unquestionably be our number 1 jumper).

I call BS but if there is any truth the men who made that decision without informing the members should all be sacked, I'd rather us have worn teal lycra bodysuits than sign away the right to the PB's forever for a once off.

Karl Langdon **** me "Teal is their colour" last I checked black and white are also our main colours ffs this obsession about teal overriding everything in the media is whack & always has been.

Karl Langdon the Dennis Rodman try-hard with his bleach blonde parrot hairdo in the 90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back