Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah maybe, but I do reckon Eddie is going to have a huge say over all of this, he'll have a more indirect influence IMO so if the AFL don't approve us you'd be 95% sure that Eddie manipulated the AFL into making that decision but 0% proof of it

If what you say is true, then wouldn't it be a better idea to avoid abusing the guy? I dunno, maybe that's just me.

If what you say is true, then wouldn't it be a better idea to avoid abusing the guy? I dunno, maybe that's just me.
like my opinion of the guy is going to change his mind, maybe I should take the Port Adelaide lead and be the nice (vanilla) guy because that's clearly gotten us success in the past few years

Why should Eddie get the final say ? Quite frankly he is only 1 president in the AFL and should have absolute no say.

It’s the AFLs decision and whether he like it or not is to be honest is somewhat irrelevant.

Yes it’ll be easier if he says yes and potentially strengthen our position to wear t full time but if he says no that should not stop the AFL letting us wear it.

If you all want to discuss Eddie, maybe start a different thread.

This one is dedicated to pressuring the CLUB to do something.

Rucci does this to simply boosts his ratings and clicks. It's his job.

So Eddie Mcquire says no to the bars. What does his CEO Cos Cardone say??

Will a board member of PAFC fight his Collingwood CEO for the bars jumper??

Reckon there is a huge Material Conflict of Interest.

I can guarantee you Eddie will have a major say in whether we can use our proper guernsey, I can also guarantee you he will be lobbying the AFL just as hard as we are so we never get to wear it.
It's pretty well established the club is going to try to get us in the proper port guernsey at least once in 2020, should be a lot more.

Start an Eddie thread if you want, leave that out of here please?
C’arn.
The club made many concessions in 1994/1995 with the guernsey being one of them as everyone knows. Time moves on and hopefully we can fix things, but personal attacks etc. don’t help anything.

If you want to blame anyone, it’s the courtroom and the SANFL for messing up the initial entry. The second the Crows were created we lost all leverage, as the SANFL intended.

It’s taken 20 years to fix the ownership, ground, reserves issues etc.
We keep believing and pressuring they’ll NTUA and the guernsey will happen eventually.

Last edited:
I don't mind Rucci's approach.

If it is prolonged it forces Eddie to either come out and say he is OK with it or admit that he is part of the problem (or be very diplomatic which he isn't always great at).

Or at least Cos Cardone should also come out and publicly say where he stands on the prison bars issue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way things are looking at the moment.

If they aren’t strong enough to stand by a 149 year Port Adelaide tradition, then they’ll never go close to bringing back the Prison Bars full time.

We’ll get to where the PBs once if we’re lucky.

I don't mind Rucci's approach.

If it is prolonged it forces Eddie to either come out and say he is OK with it or admit that he is part of the problem (or be very diplomatic which he isn't always great at).
Backing people into a corner is never a good strategy.
Particularly when they have the legal high ground and the status quo.
Until all other avenues have been explored.

Or at least Cos Cardone should also come out and publicly say where he stands on the prison bars issue?

Yes that was what my post was referring to - Cos Cardone not Eddie.

Our board member who is Eddie's CEO, should remove himself from any vote by the board on the club's desire to chase the opportunity to wear the bars if he feels he has a conflict of interest or doesn't support the move because he doesn't want to upset his boss.

Eddie can take whatever stand he wants to. Its his democratic right, whether we like it on not or are bloody pissed off with it. But if our board member feels conflicted and isn't prepared to fight for our right to wear the bars, then I don't want him voting on the bars or even being involved in board room discussion about the bars with other board members and our staff.

He has to do the honourable thing and say I have a massive conflict of interest, so I will remove myself from the room whilst you discuss this. Standard good corporate governance practice.

When I say Eddie can take whatever stand he wants to, I also have a corollary to that, that the AFL Commissioners have to make an independent decision based on their role as custodians of the game, not as pants wetters or being pushed by pants wetting executives who run a money making football competition and are scared of public criticism, even vilification, by McGuire.

Yes getting our REAL Prison Bars back is the ideal situation and what we are all after, but in the more likely then not (as wrong and unfair as that is) situation that this is not allowed, do we want to accept wearing the Prison Bars once during our 150 year anniversary (if at all as Dwayne Russel claims to have been told we wont be allowed to) then maybe once every 5 years or are we prepared to discuss what are alternatives are ?

Attempt to sue the AFL and take legal action ? Restraint of trade and unfair restrictions and possible damage to our brand/identity ? and that in it self is probably not something we want to do.
Or
Discuss the possible compromises ? Which may result in deciding we are not prepared to make any changes and effectively retire them apart from extremely rare occasions, what impact will a national reserves comp have ? Will the Port Magpies revert back to being just a SANFL side not our AFL reserves ? Does that impact our view on the topic.

That single moment you dilute focus off of a common goal you lose the game - we have one focus and that is return the Best Uniform in AUSTRALIAN Football to PAFC and into the AFL for all home games. No dilution, no compromise. #BringBackTheBars - alternatives just weaken the sound argument and request

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Re Eddie, all I will say is that if the PAFC board at any stage in our AFL history had even half the passion for their club, even half the determination to stand up for their club and even half the ruthlessness to go and take what is their's as Eddie does for Collingwood, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Just a quick thought before I forget. KT mentioned our intent to go to the AFL with our plan for the PBs in 2020. If that plan is to wear it as a once off, absolutely forget about it. Just wear the bloody thing without asking for permission, it's not even worth the fight for a one off.

Just a quick thought before I forget. KT mentioned our intent to go to the AFL with our plan for the PBs in 2020. If that plan is to wear it as a once off, absolutely forget about it. Just wear the bloody thing without asking for permission, it's not even worth the fight for a one off.
We are fighting to make sure it’s not a one off.

Of course this administration will be aiming for a one-off and it will be on the condition from the AFL that we never ask to wear it again.

That's why this member led campaign is so important. The current admin need to be in no doubt that the rusted on members by overwhelming majority want a permanent return of our traditional guernsey, not some BS tokenistic 'one last time' celebration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back