Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a facebook alert to this page an hour ago.

Plenty of great black and white photos and newspaper and magazine article at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2132685390277164/

Testing my memory

Only one of the back row I know for sure is Kym Kinnear. Did Nunan play one season for us? Eade is fourth one along? Milde the 3rd from the left?
Porps, Bruce, Neville Phillips?, Paul Marrett, Gerlach, ?, Giles, Hoffner?
Dad of Erin, Franger, JC, RE, Max and Darrell Cahill

I would guess 1974.

I would like to have my say as a Port Magpies supporter and former member. Yes I am a Crows supporter toobut there was a time when that was irrelevant.

When I think about Port Magpies dominating the Sanfl of course the bars are important. In the days when Port was dominating the Afl... a new Guernsey put fear into the opposition sides. That is as much part of Ports heritage now as anything else
I vote keep the bars in Sanfl and embrace the colours and the jumperthat has made the Pear famous.
Peace friends, but screw Collingwood. Eddie and their supporters can live and stay in the past. But bring back heritage round where port and the bars should be allowed though

Testing my memory

Only one of the back row I know for sure is Kym Kinnear. Did Nunan play one season for us? Eade is fourth one along? Milde the 3rd from the left?
Porps, Bruce, Neville Phillips?, Paul Marrett, Gerlach, ?, Giles, Hoffner?
Dad of Erin, Franger, JC, RE, Max and Darrell Cahill

I would guess 1974.
Pretty sure that is either end of 1976 or early 1977 as cousins Greg and Neville Phillips both debuted in 1976 and Neville played a few games in 1977 and Max James went to South Melbourne at end of 1977. Pretty sure that is Robert Whatman to the right of Tony Giles in the middle row.

I would like to have my say as a Port Magpies supporter and former member. Yes I am a Crows supporter toobut there was a time when that was irrelevant.

When I think about Port Magpies dominating the Sanfl of course the bars are important. In the days when Port was dominating the Afl... a new Guernsey put fear into the opposition sides. That is as much part of Ports heritage now as anything else
I vote keep the bars in Sanfl and embrace the colours and the jumperthat has made the Pear famous.
Peace friends, but screw Collingwood. Eddie and their supporters can live and stay in the past. But bring back heritage round where port and the bars should be allowed though
It was never irrelevant

At a time when Eddie McGuire is probably more on the nose nationally then ever before, and finds himself back peddling as he comes under attack from all angles, now is the time to exploit this and turn the screws on the PB issue at AFL House.
I think the opposite. He is already in the corner and fighting for survival.
The PB’s would give him ammo to garner the backing of the Collingwood fans.
He is the symbol of the opposition to the bars, not the only hurdle.

Last edited:
The Western Australian had a crack at Ed this morning with this front page. Ed hit back this morning on radio.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/f...s/news-story/2bcdcb48ce76e3317cb3fc108f404cca
Eddie McGuire’s presence in the commentary box for this Saturday’s derby between West Coast and Fremantle made front page news in Perth. The West Australian newspaper splashed “Ed Alert!” across its cover after confirming the Collingwood president would travel west to lead Fox Footy’s coverage of the round four blockbuster.
McGuire, who revealed he was able to make the journey because the Magpies are playing Friday night and he has next week off his breakfast radio commitments, took the criticism in stride. “I take it as a bit of fun,” McGuire told Perth radio station 6PR. “It is a West Australian game between two great clubs, but it is also one of the biggest sporting events on, in the country, and when you look at the attendance, it’ll be one of the biggest attended games in the world this weekend.
The newspaper described McGuire as “WA’s most despised commentator”, citing the results of a fan survey conducted by Seven West Media last season. “McGuire was voted the most annoying commentator by WA footy fans in last year’s Seven West Media’s Ultimate Footy Survey, taking 72.11 per cent of the vote, while he received just 6.95 per cent of the vote for the most liked,” the report stated.........
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/f...s/news-story/2bcdcb48ce76e3317cb3fc108f404cca

Thing is that WA sports fans are typically the worst in a parochial sense and in this instance they are wrong about old Ed McG. He isn't a bad football commentator. Not by a long way.

Ed will hopelessly say some dumb s**t occasionally but he's probably in the top 20 percentile of sports commentators. So long as it's not collingwood playing your side.

Laughable from place that served us up Basil whatshisface Moussaka Baklava who not only looks but also sounds like one of those half-aardvark half-dinosaur animals from the ice age movies; (yes I know they gave us old Denis 'playboy hair' Spaghetti)

Ollie on 5AA talked about Connor Rozee and also about training in the PB #35 jumper. Said Chad Cornes and Hamish Hartlett came up with the idea.

Has it been explained why the J-Mac #35 jumper is a Prison Bar jumper and not a BiB one?
I didn't pick up anything but I did get distracted after I heard Chad and Hamish being mentioned. Might be worth a re-listen to Ollie's interview when it comes up on the sports shows podcast at;

https://play.acast.com/s/roweybicks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was in the Tiser today - 35 given to a player who does the little things right in the game to wear at training during the week. I get it, but if it were to tribute McCarthy, surely put it back on a jumper he actually wore for the club.

Not sure how I feel about the traditional jumper being used for training.

Sadly, I don’t think this current group deserve to wear the bars.

This is backwards thinking, i'm sorry. The current group are the current playing list of the Port Adelaide Football Club, and therefore they deserve to wear the guernsey worn by the Port Adelaide Football Club, and in due course that guernsey will be returned to the prison bar design.

They deserve it because they get selected to play for the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back