Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24th 2020 - 150th anniversary of 1870 of our first game against Young Australians, is a Sunday. [14th May our first practice is a Thursday, Thursday night game would be good]

Do we get a home game? Do we get a 12.40pm game, or a 2.50pm game on 7 nationwide, or a 4.10pm game?

If we are wearing the baby blue horizontal stripe does that mean we don't play against a blue team? Geelong and North would be out. What about Carlton, Western Bulldogs or West Coast??

May 24th 2020 - 150th anniversary of 1870 of our first game against Young Australians, is a Sunday. [14th May our first practice is a Thursday, Thursday night game would be good]

Do we get a home game? Do we get a 12.40pm game, or a 2.50pm game on 7 nationwide, or a 4.10pm game?

If we are wearing the baby blue horizontal stripe does that mean we don't play against a blue team? Geelong and North would be out. What about Carlton, Western Bulldogs or West Coast??

KT said probably blue and white for that game and home.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
look i agree, no doubt. BUT theres more to our history than just the black and white stripes.....
joining the afl was a huge moment for a suburban footy club. thats a big part of the history also.
The first and so far only grandfinal in the afl was a huge moment.
i love the PBs as much as the next guy but what im saying is there is more to celebrate than just that when talking our history!

I apologise. I wasn't having a go at you. The 04 jumper is respected but to wear it at all home games instead of the PB would be another about turn by our club and I'm tired of it. We all know the most prominent jumper in our history and we got to steam ahead to get it permanently, then we can celebrate the others.

Sep 16, 2016
I have no idea
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Quite a few
Pardon the intrusion but there's been a bit of debate over on the FJGD board over the PBs and I saw this regarding the whole 'but Port agreed to not wear the PBs!' argument that gets thrown around:

This whole Port agreed to this, they made their bed now they sleep in it argument is an absolute load of ****. Jog on with that, that's like saying that someone is mugging you at knifepoint, you can either hand over your wallet or get stabbed, so you hand over your wallet and then someone's like "oh well they're not entitled to that wallet anymore, they handed it over voluntarily." Port only had one choice to remain viable as a profitable business and keep people in jobs and preserve the future of the club and that was to join the national league.
  • This agreement was made over 20 years ago, before the advent of away/clash jumpers
  • Port didn't have a lot of choice - either stay on a sinking SANFL ship or move to the new VFL/AFL and receive national exposure
  • There was the agreement made (allegedly) that if Port finished on top of Collingwood for consecutive seasons, they'd be allowed to return to black and white
  • Port wearing the PBs will not diminish the Collingwood brand at all. That's like saying North and Geelong diminish each other's brands by wearing blue and white stripes
  • For the large majority of Collingwood's history, you've been white with black stripes. It's only since Port joined the league Collingwood have taken the black with white stripes look, so if you really wanna go on about history, you could have the Pies in their historic jumper and Port in their historic jumper and there is no clash, and no "this is our brand" argument.
Easy for Collingwood fans to talk down on this when you lucked into the financially viable league (which if West Coast hadn't have joined, it wouldn't have been). If it was the SANFL that became the AFL, and Collingwood had to give up their heritage, I'll bet every last dollar I have the argument would be from Collingwood fans to "return the stripes".

I think this whole argument is a bit like daylight savings or marriage equality - people will resist change because they feel it could negatively impact them but then it actually happens and life goes on all the same, nothing really changes apart from the people who wanted the change in the first place - by this I mean Port get to keep their tradition, and nothing at all will change for Collingwood. Your brand will not be watered down, people will still see full black and white stripes as Collingwood. Collingwood will still be the Magpies of the AFL.

KT said probably blue and white for that game and home.
He said - "The celebration of the first guernsey that Port Adelaide wore 150 years ago, that was on 24th May I think, something like that, you know is really important, it is that blue hooped one, and it makes sense that we will celebrate that in some way, on that day. Whether we wear it or whether we simply do a commerative piece, that's still to be decided, certainly its in our conversation. The bigger converstaion is around the prison bar.... 1.32 to 2.04 link below....... "You can't tell story of the Port Adelaide footy club without referencing strongly, paying homage to the iconic prison bar guernsey. So we will be doing that!.......

"we will be certainly paying homage to both those guerseys and probably the others, (slight laugh), throughout next year, because its a pretty big deal" At 2.45-2.54 below.

Then Dwayne goes off on his trail, and talks about blue and white on the 24th. KT said we haven't even gone to our board yet, when that gets approval it then goes to the AFL for approval.

Not locked in, but balance of probabilities - we wear the 1870 design on 24 May 2020.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=372704

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
All the while, he is invited (for a sizeable fee, I would expect) back to MC club events on a regular basis. The tripe he spewed when commentating the Showdown, as well as his increasing habit of dropping information, false or otherwise, about the club is more than enough for his services to be no longer required.

Strong leadership from the club would see this happen...so I expect nothing will happen.

Someimes I wonder if it is a ploy to stir us supporters up to send further messages to the club whereby they collate it and present it to the AFL … yeah nah.

Adz2332

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I apologise. I wasn't having a go at you. The 04 jumper is respected but to wear it at all home games instead of the PB would be another about turn by our club and I'm tired of it. We all know the most prominent jumper in our history and we got to steam ahead to get it permanently, then we can celebrate the others.

Haha na all good mate. Didn't think you were haha

He said - "The celebration of the first guernsey that Port Adelaide wore 150 years ago, that was on 24th May I think, something like that, you know is really important, it is that blue hooped one, and it makes sense that we will celebrate that in some way, on that day. Whether we wear it or whether we simply do a commerative piece, that's still to be decided, certainly its in our conversation. The bigger converstaion is around the prison bar.... 1.32 to 2.04 link below....... "You can't tell story of the Port Adelaide footy club without referencing strongly, paying homage to the iconic prison bar guernsey. So we will be doing that!.......

"we will be certainly paying homage to both those guerseys and probably the others, (slight laugh), throughout next year, because its a pretty big deal" At 2.45-2.54 below.

Then Dwayne goes off on his trail, and talks about blue and white on the 24th. KT said we haven't even gone to our board yet, when that gets approval it then goes to the AFL for approval.

Not locked in, but balance of probabilities - we wear the 1870 design on 24 May 2020.

https://player.whooshkaa.com/episode?id=372704
Sounds like our own CEO is unsure that 24 May is THE date. Get some sleep, KT. Eat a steak, drink a glass of red, get a tan ... for god sake.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
In KT Speak I think he means we will play a game on or as close to May 24th as we can next year not that he doesn't know when the first one was.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I wonder if “the others” are the pink and magenta jobs from the late 1800s or our inaugural AFL guernseys? Either way it’s getting too complicated.

Seriously, Katie, it’s Prison Bars or GTFO.

Use all the others as training guernseys and sell them at the Port Store by all means but there’s no need to wear them in games.

I wonder if “the others” are the pink and magenta jobs from the late 1800s or our inaugural AFL guernseys? Either way it’s getting too complicated.

Seriously, Katie, it’s Prison Bars or GTFO.

Use all the others as training guernseys and sell them at the Port Store by all means but there’s no need to wear them in games.
My guess is PBs for three to five games incl. first home game, home showdown, ANZAC home match, last home game, one other in between; blue hoops for 24 May; 2004 flashes for one/two games; magenta/blue for one game.

With all this circus we will end up bottom four, but should we make a final it’s PBs for that final and then let’s see what takes off ... PBs thereafter ... forever.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
My guess is PBs for three to five games incl. first home game, home showdown, ANZAC home match, last home game, one other in between; blue hoops for 24 May; 2004 flashes for one/two games; magenta/blue for one game.

With all this circus we will end up bottom four, but should we make a final it’s PBs for that final and then let’s see what takes off ... PBs thereafter ... forever.

I don’t think we’ll be that bad but it’d be a very long season if we were. A bottom four year would mean that Hinkley’s a dead man walking but we wouldn’t have the nuts to sack him during the party. We’d just trudge our way through making small talk before finally giving him the it’s not you it’s me routine as we should’ve done 3 years earlier. Happy Birthday to us.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
I don’t think we’ll be that bad but it’d be a very long season if we were. A bottom four year would mean that Hinkley’s a dead man walking but we wouldn’t have the nuts to sack him during the party. We’d just trudge our way through making small talk before finally giving him the it’s not you it’s me routine as we should’ve done 3 years earlier. Happy Birthday to us.
I reckon, as long as he's being paid, Hinkley is more than comfortable to be dead man walking. 2019-2021 is his retirement nest egg. He's not looking for another position after here, therefore he has no reputation to protect and no need to walk away.

I'd be down for a different Guernsey every home game
even if its multiple versions of the Prison bars

Here are 18 we could wear.

1557925139176.png

1557925363886.png

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I reckon, as long as he's being paid, Hinkley is more than comfortable to be dead man walking. 2019-2021 is his retirement nest egg. He's not looking for another position after here, therefore he has no reputation to protect and no need to walk away.

The Coke Sipper is there already. Apparently 2021 is performance based so he only needs to hang around for another year and a bit irrespective of results. I’d do that for a million dollars too I guess.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Here are 18 we could wear.

View attachment 674619

Before the bring back the bars campaign started I thought it would be cool to wear these in chronological order throughout the year, adding in the odd clash when necessary. But I agree with others that it’s probably not a great idea with our ultimate goal in mind.

Maybe save it for the bicentennial!

Just played this great video SgtSchulz made a few months again.

It's Time - to make a decision, wear the bars again, make finals again, win finals like this again.

Wish we could sneak into the room that controls the video screens on Sunday and play this after the players run thru the banner and NTUA. Sunday is a few days shy of our 149th anniversary.

Bugger it a reminder of the other video he made.

Jul 11, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Whilst I don't really like the blue and white hoops guernsey, it makes more sense to wear that on the 150th anniversary of our first game than it does to wear the prism bars.

Prison bars weren't a part of the first game 149 years ago so wearing them on that day next year is really just a fan desire and doesn't really make any sense.

Not against wearing prison bars in showdowns from 2020 onwards though, I reckon that would be a great way to continually recognise what led to us to join the AFL, seeing how so many flags were won wearing it.

Ultimately though, our current guernsey should not be dismissed and should remain our primary one. I believe it's the best in the comp right now and is a part of who we are.
People need to realise and accept that we ain't gonna wear the prison bars as our primary guernsey in AFL ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back