Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd say its so teams don't change on a whim, seems fair (if an arbitrary number) to me. I guess the number relates to the season somehow in that its all locked in up to the end of the season a few months before it starts.

Last edited:
I'd say its so teams don't change on a whim, seems fair (if an arbitrary number) to me. I guess the number relates to the season somehow in that its all locked in up to the end of the season a few months before it starts.
It didn't take 9 months in 2014 to sort out the PB when Mark The Moron Evans said people with HD TV's can't pick up the difference between the black of Ports and black of the Tigers.

Last edited:

Like everyone else here, I've been giving this a lot of thought.
In particular I've been considering our transition over time.

I accept that while the prisonbars defines my time watching Port Adelaide, that isn't a fair representation of 150 years of history, its just a representation of my 55 year experience with it. Basically, the 5 jumpers to the right are what I have grown up with.

I think that in 2020, we must make an attempt to celebrate our entire history, from jumper #1 to jumper #18, but as a club we must take this one step further and the club must allow all paid up 2019 members to vote on jumper #19.

View attachment 674687

The Vote has to be a key part of the 2020 celebrations, because Past, Present and Future have always been considered together by this great club.

Our slogan for 2020 can only be one thing, the one I had on a circular sticker on the back window of my Datsun 180B back in the 1980's:

Proud of the Past Confident of the future.

As such, I would like to club to nominate the following jumper as one of the options as jumper #19

Why:

I love the prisonbars - to me if its not the prisonbars its not Port Adelaide.

I equally love the white trims on the sleeves and the neckline, to me those white trims are sacrosanct, they give the jumper its strength. They remind me of 1976 sitting inside the fence and that loss. They then remind me of 1977 and our redemption.

I was looking at the videos posted above and I can accept that the piers themselves are not always in full sun, the grey on them can be as representative as the white. That would be a fair compromise that acknowledges that there is a Collingwood in the AFL as we enter it, and although McAllister made a certain agreement, I am prepared to honour that black and white stripes are an important part of the CFC's brand.

I can see this both as a compromise, but also as an evolution.

Unlike the Machiavellian comments from over the border, I can accept that our jumper has evolved over time, and while I am as passionate as anyone about the prison bars that I watched when I stood as a 5 year old on the hill at Alberton watching footy with my father and uncle, watching my heroes like Bruce Light, Russell Ebert and Brian Cunningham, I accept that time moves on.

I want jumper #19 to remind me of that 5 year old kid, but I want us to kick arse in it with new heroes, my daughters heroes and one day her children's heroes.

I am not asking, I am absolutely pleading that we the people that have stood on that hill get to make the final decision on jumper #19 as a part of the 2020 honouring of the history of this club.

My grandfather's jockeys wore the prisonbar jumper at the Adelaide trots.
It was before my time but my family have photos of the races that my grandfathers horses won, with the jockeys always wearing the prison bars.

This is not just a part of my history, this is my bloody history.
The prison bar jumper is an integral part of four generations of my family (and possibly more).

Its time for our history to be respected and to evolve, not to be destroyed.

Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future.

View attachment 674691
A well-considered position, however I want to fight tooth-and-nail for the black and white PBs before even considering the silver bars suggestion

I remember pacers with the drivers wearing the PB's at Wayville in the early 1960's, one of the horses was named Fos, I assume that was one of your grandfather's horses.
I have often wondered what happened to those silks, have they been deregistered or are they still owned by your family?

I'll need to talk to some family and find out.

Yes he was, not sure what colour silks he used though.
From memory the late Bob Clayton drove in a few pacing races at one stage as well, but I think that was after Wayville closed.
Made money at Wayville backing any Webster horse with the longest odds, when three or more Websters were driving.
They were great team drivers :D:p
Now you mention it, I do remember BP silks.

The blue hoop jumper was fine for the crazyness of mid 2000s heritage rounds, but we're talking about something so much more important than that.

Not a single Port Supporter (apart from maybe descendents of the 1870 team) has any affinity for the blue and white hooped jumper at all.

So Dom Cassisi has come out hard against Dwayno for mudraking and getting a scoop at all costs, even an incorrect one , and trying to create a divide between the supporter base and the club in regards to the PBs
Dom was one of the people they consulted about co-captaincy. No idea unfortunately.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least all these things will be sorted soon. The AFL require 9 months notice for guernseys, so the first game of 2020 is going to be announced by July at the latest.
Like that final we wore the bars in?

The AFL are susceptible if we apply enough pressure. We shouldn't stop fighting til the ball bounces round 1.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

100%, wear them whenever you can! If you don't have one, head to the club and get one. Its been great seeing so many in them around the ground in the last couple of weeks, hopefully we can see more!
The club needs to start selling PBs with the AFL sponsors on them

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

The club needs to start selling PBs with the AFL sponsors on them

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

It would be the first thing I buy my daughter as a Christmas present.

Should also be selling them as polo tops, T Shirts, and most importantly as hoodies.

I would buy myself one as a hoodie to wear to games right now, no hesitation at all.

But alas

Last edited:
We can’t wear for games as yet, but the club could start equating PB’s are Port, by:
1. Having all players wear PB’s at all training, not just one.
2. PB’s worn for on ground warm up before games.
3. PB’s worn for all media appearances by the players.

Of course our gutless leaders wouldn’t do this.

I do like the current guernsey design but i cant associate it with any kind of success for our club

We have won 1 final in it
Missed the finals a ton of times and saw us get smacked by Collingwood by 138 points following up by getting spanked by Hawthorn by 165 points in it.
Weak pea-hearted performances and our post 2014 Hinkley era of failure

To me this dilutes the affection i feel for the guernsey and absolutely heightens the love i feel for the PBs as i associate the guernsey with success, respect, hate from other clubs, fear and toughness.

I remember the pride i had as a kid wearing the PBs because i knew the club i supported were hated through jealousy of success and fear.

I want the PBs back more than anything. Its pretty much all there is left about the club that represents the Port i grew up with

How good would it be if our club had some guts, and we went from 2020 onwards with Prison Bars as home guernsey, and blue and white hoops as our away? They are the perfect combo for solving clashes, and the blue is close enough to teal to keep the planet teal brigade happy (hell, make it a blueish teal). Done and dusted.

One can dream.

How good would it be if our club had some guts, and we went from 2020 onwards with Prison Bars as home guernsey, and blue and white hoops as our away? They are the perfect combo for solving clashes, and the blue is close enough to teal to keep the planet teal brigade happy (hell, make it a blueish teal). Done and dusted.

One can dream.

How about a combination..

porttssss.jpg porrts.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back