Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I know this is old ground, and I didn't order a hat, wasn't really interested in it and only read the odd post in the relevant thread, but why did that clothing manufacturer reject your order? Was there enough irrationality to their answer that suggests the club or AFL pressured them not to do it.

No I don’t think so. The company I went through said that NewEra rejected it because they would only do them for amateur teams and we were just a fan group. I checked all of this from the outset and they said it wouldn’t be an issue, but turns out that it was. Very annoying considering how much time I put into it and tbh I just didn’t have any more at that point to find a way around it, so I had to pull the pin.

I had half a mind to try again recently but then I procreated and reduced my free time to practically zero lol. I did flick an email to Ben at the Port Store today though when this came up, just to ask the question one last time. I suggested that a heritage logo hat would go down a treat next year when we’ll be going maximum history but I’m not holding my breath. They already do the “PORT” range of hats and tees, which was born out of the “Ports” concepts I’d sent him previously, so I think that’s the best we’ll get out of the Club.

Mar 22, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Carolina Panther's
982EFF45-7D3B-40EA-85C5-7FA55E541FCF.gif

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
An agreement that we can wear it on a consistent, regular basis is the thin end of the wedge.

We keep pushing, but we're now armed with the fact that we wear the bars regularly and the sky doesn't fall in for Collingwood or anyone else.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
This is how it will end. Home showdowns only. It will end that way, not because of the AFL or Eddie, but because of our own Board. The article from Basso clearly spells out, even within the club, the push for the Bars was not unanimous.

Gil and KT will sell this as the best compromise, flout on about respecting our heritage and that of Collingwood. Reality is, our Board doesn't want it, they just won't say that. It's an inconvenient truth. Game over.

FPPF

Premiership Player
May 9, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Im more excited that we will apparently wear the blue and white hoop jumper again.

An agreement that we can wear it on a consistent, regular basis is the thin end of the wedge.

We keep pushing, but we're now armed with the fact that we wear the bars regularly and the sky doesn't fall in for Collingwood or anyone else.

And if we start wearing them once a year, the guernsey will begin to creep into the consciousness of the football public. Imagine if we had a great win in a Showdown, the inevitable commentary from the media would be "how good were Port ... and how good are the prison bars!". Once we gain public support and a level of awareness around our desire to wear them, it can only be a matter of time.

The way this is going to pan out can be summed up thus.....

Port: We would like to wear our traditional guernsey to honour the 100th anniversary of our undefeated Champions of Australia team.
AFL: No, not important enough.

Western Bulldogs: We want to look like super heroes.
AFL: Sweet.

And if we start wearing them once a year, the guernsey will begin to creep into the consciousness of the football public. Imagine if we had a great win in a Showdown, the inevitable commentary from the media would be "how good were Port ... and how good are the prison bars!". Once we gain public support and a level of awareness around our desire to wear them, it can only be a matter of time.
With the Showdowns tucked away in the twighlight time slots its not going to get much coverage. If we are only wearing it once a year then it should be our choice when we wear it, and save it for our Friday night prime time game.

So he's claiming that in 2-3 weeks it will be announced that we'll get to wear the Prison Bars for every home showdown.
He’s guessing based on the stuff he reads here etc.
If he’s right he’ll claim genius, if he’s wrong people will forget.

There’s no set timeline as of now, but the club are working on it.

Im more excited that we will apparently wear the blue and white hoop jumper again.
That’s common knowledge for the 24th May.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
That Mongrel Punt article talks about McGuire's waning influence with the AFL, but if he's been able to dictate that we can only wear the PBs in home showdowns then he still has too much influence. After his latest faux pas with the Sydney Swans coin toss lady he should be persona non grata. Time for the AFL to grow some balls and call the Bogan from Broadmeadow's bluff!

He’s guessing based on the stuff he reads here etc.
If he’s right he’ll claim genius, if he’s wrong people will forget.

There’s no set timeline as of now, but the club are working on it.

I won’t forget if he’s wrong. Bigfooty never forgets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back