Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s just collated all the stuff that’s been discussed here over the months...and made some errors that prove it.

Dalfino

#BringBackTheBars
May 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
It's a step in the right direction. A very, very small one, but a step. Incredibly disappointed that we aren't going to see the PB's for the entire 2020 season, and the key decision makers within our club need to be put under fire for that. But we are inching closer towards the ultimate goal. Hopefully we get a turnover of the board and higher-ups with some true Port Adelaide people who see the value in this push. I don't have faith in the club but I have faith in our supporters to continue the fight. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
And if we start wearing them once a year, the guernsey will begin to creep into the consciousness of the football public. Imagine if we had a great win in a Showdown, the inevitable commentary from the media would be "how good were Port ... and how good are the prison bars!". Once we gain public support and a level of awareness around our desire to wear them, it can only be a matter of time.

I got lost at `Imagine if we had a great win in a Showdown.' :think:

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
An agreement that we can wear it on a consistent, regular basis is the thin end of the wedge.

We keep pushing, but we're now armed with the fact that we wear the bars regularly and the sky doesn't fall in for Collingwood or anyone else.

Yep this is traction and it’s necessary for getting us where we want to go. We all would’ve preferred to be granted full autonomy straight up but I think that was pretty unlikely. This is a good start (assuming the article is accurate).

Disappointed but not surprised that our AFL controlled board isn’t 100% behind the bars.
That's what 4 years of failure on the field does - as well as failures off it. 1 lost home final in 4 completed seasons of very average, middle class results.

No runs on the board, no spare cash generated from success, no new major sponsors beating down the door and paying a premium, so they don't have the confidence to attack from a position of strength, to go and fight with the AFL, but they are in just batten down the hatches mode.

China had the potential to have us debt free in 2019-20 as stated by our Prez and others in 2016 after the April 2016 Mr Gui announcements, but with all the miss steps in that field, and on the field, which is what counts the most, it means we are still dependent on the AFL with bank guarantees and revenue support, so they still have control of some of our most important issues, and the board wont go against them.

Last edited:
This is how it will end. Home showdowns only. It will end that way, not because of the AFL or Eddie, but because of our own Board. The article from Basso clearly spells out, even within the club, the push for the Bars was not unanimous.

Gil and KT will sell this as the best compromise, flout on about respecting our heritage and that of Collingwood. Reality is, our Board doesn't want it, they just won't say that. It's an inconvenient truth. Game over.

Firstly, Tom Basso is a teenage amateur sports 'journo'. Let's not pretend he has any inside info here. He's gleaned stuff from public commentary.

Secondly, just because the club caves in on a compromise, does not mean we as supporters need to. The pressure we have applied to the club and the AFL is real and we are already seeing some reactions for and against the campaign. That's what we want.

We want the AFL to either say that it is our right to wear it when we choose, without any 'Collingwood Clause', OR to have the balls to come out and say that, no we don't have the right because AFL=VFL and Collingwood call the shots.

If they choose the latter, the fight doesn't end, it just ramps up and creates new allies for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl/2019/06/12/barsareback
The move comes about after a recent push for Port Adelaide to wear its black and white jumper to celebrate its 150th anniversary season in 2020. Fans launched a petition to bring the jumper, originally worn by Port Adelaide in the SANFL in 1902, as the Power’s permeant home strip.

This proposal gained the support of club board members such as Darren Cahill but the club as a whole did not support this. Instead Port Adelaide sought to wear the guernesy for all Showdowns, home and away, against the Crows.

The club as a whole? I want to know who within the club disapproved of the club wearing the PBs for all home matches. This needs to be known.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
I don't think the board are against the PBs as such - I think they just see it as being firmly an item for the too hard basket.
I think "from 2020" is in the too hard basket, whereas "in 2020" they know has to be addressed and that's all they are worried about at the moment and for next years's celebrations.

The club as a whole? I want to know who within the club disapproved of the club wearing the PBs for all home matches. This needs to be known.

If it is true this current board is against a return of our traditional strip, then they can all go and get f*****

I don't think the board are against the PBs as such - I think they just see it as being firmly an item for the too hard basket.

It could also mean that right here, right now, the best decision for the club to make is to wear it regularly.

The BBTB campaign will only grow legs and gain more momentum from here on in.

It's not going away.

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
There was once a time when our board wanted to distance itself from the Magpies and our heritage, it has hurt our image and stance ever since.

Not stating our intention of wearing our traditional guernsey whenever we see fit from here on in will only weaken our position in the future.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Like the merch idea but the three stripes doesn't really accurately capture the design as well as maybe four does. Maybe this is too pedantic.

I think it works well, if it went to four they’d all have to be thinner to fit into the square space. It looks bolder this way. Also if you look at the PB design it’s really just two sets of three stripes anyway.

1799AEDC-133A-49A8-A3C7-ED790B5439D0.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back