Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
New Zealand win the semi-final because their supporters wear the prison bars ...

I’m pretty sure I read on here once that he used to brodown with Chadbro back in the day.
Yep. Both were going out with a couple of the main actresses from McLeod's Daughters.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why doesn't Port wear the prison bars with teal instead of white? To me that solves all your issues with Collingwood, and allows you to combine your heritage in SA with your time in the AFL.

Why don’t you wear an orange sash? To me that makes you look more like tigers because tigers are orange.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Why doesn't Port wear the prison bars with teal instead of white? To me that solves all your issues with Collingwood, and allows you to combine your heritage in SA with your time in the AFL.
Let me suggest, gently, that if that's what you believe "solves all your issues", some further research on your part is required.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
Why don’t you wear an orange sash? To me that makes you look more like tigers because tigers are orange.
No need to be a smartass dude. I'm on your side in this argument, but like it or not Collingwood were in the AFL first and have dibs on black and white.

However my opinion as a neutral supporter and a graphic designer, is that the prison bars are an iconic and unique guernsey - much more unique than Ports current guernsey.

So if you can't have the colours, why not compromise and at least have the correct shape, rather than having nothing at all?

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
No need to be a smartass dude. I'm on your side in this argument, but like it or not Collingwood were in the AFL first and have dibs on black and white.

However my opinion as a neutral supporter and a graphic designer, is that the prison bars are an iconic and unique guernsey - much more unique than Ports current guernsey.

So if you can't have the colours, why not compromise and at least have the correct shape, rather than having nothing at all?
Basically because we shouldn't need to compromise. Aston Villa wore claret shirts with blue sleeves first but they'll wear an away kit at West Ham and Burnley this season. The sun comes up every morning.

Is any other major sports team in the world barred from wearing it's preferred uniform?

Was Collingwood harmed even a little bit any of the 4 times we've worn the guernsey in the AFL so far?

Who are we hurting here?

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

From a graphic designer point view, do teal stripes on the front match a white number panel on the back? I don't think it does and please don't suggest that we make that panel teal.

Did the past legends of the club bleed for the black and teal bars jumper? If it does not have white bars, basically as it has been for a 100 years, then are we really respecting the jumper and the club and those that have put their bodies on the line?

Is it really self-respecting if we compromise when this is a non-issue everywhere outside of the AFL?

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Sorry, I meant solves your issues as much as possible. Collingwood ain't going to budge on black and white.
Yet Geelong, in their last game wore blue, white and orange (GWS) and Gold Coast wears Red/Orange Blue and Yellow (Adelaide). That's even ignoring the rest of sport across the entire planet.

Away/clash/pre-season jumpers we could go crazy with that, but the home jumper has to be the Prison Bars in it's proper form.

ozph1870

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
dallas cowboys ferrari f1

How many blue and white sided are there, how many have red yellow and blue..
More than one on both counts.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
How many blue and white sided are there, how many have red yellow and blue..
More than one on both counts.
No two teams have exactly the same colours, and the ones that are similar have very different guernseys (Geelong and Carlton, Gold Coast and Adelaide).

Why don't you wear a pink sash and green shorts so you never clash with anyone?
You're not going to get the support of any neutrals if you debate like a child and a smartass.

Like I said, I think you should be able to wear it, but I think you should compromise on colour to appease those who are so against it.

No two teams have exactly the same colours, and the ones that are similar have very different guernseys (Geelong and Carlton, Gold Coast and Adelaide).

You're not going to get the support of any neutrals if you debate like a child and a smartass.

Like I said, I think you should be able to wear it, but I think you should compromise on colour to appease those who are so against it.
I reckon you need to get back inside your cave, tiger.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Some have made this point already - something like this would probably have been fine when Port entered the league, especially when compared to the shitheap that was our inaugural home strip, but that ship has sailed. We're our own established brand in the league now and we've worn an unbastardised prison bar jumper several times on the national stage, including a finals game. There's precedent to show that wearing the jumper, which is a distinctly Port Adelaide jumper, isn't going to erode Collingwood's brand. So basically your suggestion would be an unnecessary compromise, and no club should have to compromise over its history.

dirty2

F*** the southern power
Nov 6, 2016
Bar Rossa
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
It wouldnt surprise me at this stage for Keith and koch to come out

"We listened to our members and we gave you the prison bars"

as they unveil a magenta and teal prison bar Guernsey.

StrappingTape

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You are the **** who doesn't get it. It's simple, it's not Richmond if it isn't a yellow sash is it? It isn't Port Adelaide if it's not white stripes so there's no point changing.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams

This makes no sense. You think we should be able to wear the guernsey that we want, but just not the guernsey we want? The "Prison Bar" guernsey is black and white. Anything else is not the "Prison Bar" guernsey.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

Why should we have to compromise though? It's not the same guernsey design. It's a distinctly Port Adelaide design.

Every other major sports league in the world manages to have multiple teams wearing the same colours without any issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back