Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm saying that earlier in the year I felt that the PB would be worn a few times in 2020 and thereafter, and that would be an acceptable win but now I am feeling a lot less hopeful of that and I am expecting it to be worn once in 2020, and that is a huge loss, in my opinion.
From nothing?

We have worn them thrice in 20 odd years, one of them was a mistake (2014), one had names all over it (2013) and the other spelt the end of 'Heritage Round' (2007)!
And you see an annual wearing as a loss? It's not awesome, but its definitely a win.

When we started this, simple ACKNOWLEDGEMENT was the aim.

(edit: 4 times, inc 2003).

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From nothing?

We have worn them thrice in 20 odd years, one of them was a mistake (2014), one had names all over it (2013) and the other spelt the end of 'Heritage Round' (2007)!
And you see an annual wearing as a loss? It's not awesome, but its definitely a win.

Also 2003 but the point stands. Regular use, even if it is just once a year for now, is a massive improvement over ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

F7A15471-B60E-4A19-AF68-7A96874281D5.jpeg

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I see wearing it once as the absolute bare minimum for me to attend any games in 2020. I wouldn't necessarily see that as a win because wearing it once in our 150th should be par for the course even if the #bringbackthebars campaign didn't exist.

A win for me is either a commitment to wear it on a regular basis or, alternatively, a large, public statement from the club declaring that our wish to wear it regularly has been blocked by the AFL, with the dispute laid out on the table for the media to assess.

Ultimately the campaign doesn't stop for me until the bars are our home guernsey.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I see wearing it once as the absolute bare minimum for me to attend any games in 2020. I wouldn't necessarily see that as a win because wearing it once in our 150th should be par for the course even if the #bringbackthebars campaign didn't exist.

A win for me is either a commitment to wear it on a regular basis or, alternatively, a large, public statement from the club declaring that our wish to wear it regularly has been blocked by the AFL, with the dispute laid out on the table for the media to assess.

Ultimately the campaign doesn't stop for me until the bars are our home guernsey.
As a minimum we need to wear it next year AND have an iron clad agreement we'll be wearing it every year after (even if just Showdowns to begin with). The club is obviously trying to go with every possible celebration related to Port, even tangentially, in order to (in their eyes) minimise wearing PB's once (or not at all) and just in 2020 and hoping (/expecting) saying 'Hey, we gave you 23 of 24 things planned, don't be ungrateful! Remember 2012!' will appease us. Live and don't learn from the Co-captain's cluster* seems the path forward for them.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
From nothing?

(edit: 4 times, inc 2003).

Yes it is how I feel. On this issue I am easily displeased. Wearing it on four occasions in 22 years, once in 2020, and my understanding that it has yet to be agreed that it will be worn once per year thereafter, is a combined loss because the affiliation and desire for it from our own new generation and many of our mature supporters is dwindling by the year. Eddie would be loving our new generation of supporters and is banking on another generation to pass by and the job of severely weakening Port supporters' love for it is achieved.

If we wear it once annually for the next decade it still won't be loved. The club has to fight this together with as many of the surviving members that are on board with it, and fight this now, beginning today, and do it publically, because clearly the 150th year ploy has not worked.

Yes it is how I feel. On this issue I am easily displeased. Wearing it on four occasions in 22 years, once in 2020, and my understanding that it has yet to be agreed that it will be worn once per year thereafter, is a combined loss because the affiliation and desire for it from our own new generation and many of our mature supporters is dwindling by the year. Eddie would be loving our new generation of supporters and is banking on another generation to pass by and the job of severely weakening Port supporters' love for it is achieved.

If we wear it once annually for the next decade it still won't be loved. The club has to fight this together with as many of the surviving members that are on board with it, and fight this now, beginning today, and do it publically, because clearly the 150th year ploy has not worked.
So what are you going to do?

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Keep active on social media for one thing. It's been a bit overshadowed over the last week or two by the coaching issue, but get on twitter, tweet at PAFC, at Koch, at Matthew Richardson, at the AFL. Keep active in that sphere.

I'm conflicted at the moment, because the noises coming out of the club publicly have been classic KKK era expectation management. However, Chiwigi and Bomber seem to be pretty happy with what's happening going forward having met with the club, even to the point where they're actively defending the club on this issue in this thread.

We'll see what happens next. The club know the will of the members on this issue and it's important that they represent the will of the members on this issue.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think wearing the PBs at games, and encouraging others to do the same, is the best thing that the average supporter can do beyond signing the petition/spruiking on social media. It’s the most publicly visible way to show support and if enough people do it then it’ll eventually become a “thing” worth talking about.

This is where the club needs to play their part and make them available for purchase again.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I've been attempting to encourage people and amongst the apathy there is opposition. The reasons these people don't want the bars is pathetic. I've had plenty of arguments and they are not changing their position on it.

DEUS

Rookie
May 3, 2018
south
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
MARION RAMS
Every part of this movement needs to be pointed at E. McGuire full stop he is the one that made it almost impossible for port to wear them a few years back he had some highly paid ppl to write something up.I am not to sure on details but it pretty much explains that if they are worn the AFL and the other clubs would deiced collectively together.so that means we will never win the vote because he is in the ear of the majority of the clubs and they all help each other in other ways also(swapping games/swapping time slots/swapping trades etc to keep vic football ahead ?? this is a conflict of interest clearly

AFL flogging "vintage" wool jumpers from the 90s. No Prison Bars being sold.

Also apparently we've "Never worn the Prison Bars at AFL level, can't bring it back!" - some facebook moron

Last edited:

Also apparently we've "Never worn the Prison Bars at AFL level, can't bring it back!" - some facebook moron
The club was selling them at the shop.

Apr 7, 2013
Burn City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool FC

If they did it they would absolutely botch it with this ""heritage"" VFL style logo

images

the woolen ones, when?
Might be a couple of seasons ago now, they were good quality too. They had a nice scarf as well, they were doing some premium wool stuff for a bit there,
I already had one of the acrylic ones, so didn’t buy.

Might be a couple of seasons ago now, they were good quality too. They had a nice scarf as well, they were doing some premium wool stuff for a bit there,
I already had one of the acrylic ones, so didn’t buy.
I've been chasing one of those woollen jumpers for a while now. I'd love to have one.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

This campaign seems to have really gone quiet. Any updates or things to look forward to?
KT submitted all the jumpers we will wear for 2020, including the Prison Bars for a game vs crows right? Does it still have to be approved or is it already a done deal?

This campaign seems to have really gone quiet. Any updates or things to look forward to?

It’s not gone quiet, it’s effectively been ‘won’ at this stage. The whole aim was to get the club fighting for the regular wearing of the PB’s.

The club have agreed to do all they can to be wearing the PB’s in 2020 and beyond. Which is all we can really ask at this stage.

The lace ups in the club shop, the PB’s at training etc. all point to this.

The next step is to wait for them to work with the AFL to sort it.

When the decision comes in we then decide what to do next. If the AFL say no, then it becomes another thing altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back