Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caroline Wilson said on 5AA a couple of weeks ago that she's almost certain that there will be a Showdown on a Thursday night.
Good. We need to wear the Prison Bars on a nationally televised game.

There's no guarantees it will be nationally televised on FTA. There have been Fox Footy exclusive Thursday night games in the past.
The only time I remember that happening is ANZAC day falling on Thursdays. Every Thursday night game this year was definitely FTA and I'm pretty sure the year before too.

Ollie Wines Talks About Wearing The Prison Bars Against Adelaide Next Year
Port Adelaide co-captain Ollie Wines says the prison bars jumper is his “favourite” after it was revealed this week the club will wear the traditional strip in its two Showdown clashes with Adelaide FC next year.

Ollie has told FIVEaa Breakfast:
“So excited... It’s my favourite looking jersey I’ve ever worn or ever seen.
“Very excited -- I know the boys are, it’s pretty special for us in our 150th anniversary to get to wear the traditional strip.
“We’re looking forward to it.”

More...

For me, in a perfect world we would do something similar to what brizzy do with the fitzroy jumper. Wear the prison bars a few times a year both home and away. Away against sides like west coast brizzy hawthorn etc, any club that doesn't use black as a majority colour we could wear it away, the rest of the away games use our silver or white away/clash chevrons.
Home, prison bars a few games, black chevrons a few games, that should keep everyone happy..

It really shouldn't be that hard..

There's no guarantees it will be nationally televised on FTA. There have been Fox Footy exclusive Thursday night games in the past.
Not under this 2017-22 TV deal.

7 only produce 77 home and away games a year not 88 like for the 2007-11 and 2012-16 deal.

The basic deal is 22 rounds x 3 games per week + 11 special games, where as the 2 previous deals was 22 rounds x 4 games per round. That was slightly amended when 23 rounds came in.

This TV deal, the 7 production model is tweaked to 23 Friday games, 23 Saturday night games and 20 Sunday games for 66 games + the 8 Thursday night games + the 3 public holiday games (Easter Monday, ANZAC, Queens Birthday)

The reason there are 5 Thursday night games the first 5 weeks + 3 Thursday night games mid season when the byes are on, is because if they do a Thursday night + Friday night + Saturday night game when the byes are on, so they do 3 games a week still of the 6 games, but don't have to do a Sunday game those weeks.

This year 7 have shown / will show
8 Thursday night games, which is all of them
22 Friday night games
1 Good Friday twilight game and Fox got the Good Friday night game out of Perth,
23 Saturday night games
19 Sunday games
1 ANZAC eve night game on Wednesday
3 public holiday games Easter Monday, ANZAC Thursday arvo game and Queens Birthday
====
77 total

So 7 traded off a Sunday game down from 20 to 19 for the ANZAC eve night game in Rd 6. They did Wednesday night, Thursday arvo, Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday, but the week before over Easter they did Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday night and Easter Monday skipping the Sunday game but still 4 games that week like first 4 rounds.

Caroline Wilson said on 5AA a couple of weeks ago that she's almost certain that there will be a Showdown on a Thursday night.
This is why we might get a national showdown game. Caro yesterday arvo wrote an article for today's paper, on how AFL are talking to 7 about extending the TV deal by 2 years from 2022 to 2024 without the usual big bidding process by all media players.

But Gil and 7 CEO Tim Worner met about it on Thursday then 7 sacked Worner yesterday.

This is the bit that relates directly to Port's chance of hosting a national televised showdown on 7.

McLachlan told the clubs that the AFL's audience-tracking mechanisms had indicated ratings were no longer necessarily boosted by big Melbourne clubs such as Collingwood and Essendon and that even close games only attracted enduring audiences when they were accompanied by higher scoring. High scoring is clearly preferred by the Seven network, which crosses to a commercial break after each goal and Brisbane has repeatedly drawn praise from head office this season as a result. Most clubs have not yet completed their 2020 fixture requests, with the deadline pushed back by the AFL this season until August 30.

General AFL TV stuff in the article.
AFL boss Gillon McLachlan is exploring a two-year extension of the broadcast rights agreement which would take its decades-long relationship with the Seven Network until the end of 2024. The Age understands McLachlan has been holding talks with the league's long-time free-to-air broadcaster in a bid to create longer-term certainty amid a rapidly changing media climate.

McLachlan had been looking at the possibility of an extension with Tim Worner, the long-time Seven chief executive who was suddenly removed from that role on Thursday night, in a shock decision by Seven West chairman Kerry Stokes. Coincidentally Worner lunched with McLachlan at a French bistro in Toorak on Thursday and only learned of his axing when he arrived back in Sydney that night. Former Seven executive James Warburton, who departed the network in 2011 to run Channel Ten, will replace Worner. McLachlan refused to comment on Friday regarding the prospect of a broadcast rights protraction.

The current agreement finishes at the end of 2022 and is worth an estimated $418 million a year - 67 per cent up on the previous rights deal. Recent commentary has suggested that the next broadcast deal could prove unrecognisable given the plethora of new media players. The uncertain and evolving media landscape dictates that at least one global streaming service could play a major role in the next media rights. This was underlined in April when The Age revealed that McLachlan was taking an AFL team to the US for scheduled talks with tech giants Amazon, Google and Facebook.

Put this on ice.

This group is a big enough of an embarrassment to this club, we don't need them s**tting on the Prison Bars also.
No this is dumb.

Dress for the job you want not the job you have.

The more Port Adelaide we act the more Port Adelaide our results will become.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No this is dumb.

Dress for the job you want not the job you have.

The more Port Adelaide we act the more Port Adelaide our results will become.
Maybe... Fair bit of emotion in my post, this administration seem to s**t on every bit of PAFC they can. Playing like that in the Prison Bars would be rubbing salt into the wounds.

Let's just reflect on the fact that we're the only sporting team in the world who can't even manage to wear its preferred playing uniform. If we can't achieve something as simple and universal as that, how the hell could we ever hope to do something like win a premiership?

Maybe... Fair bit of emotion in my post, this administration seem to s**t on every bit of PAFC they can. Playing like that in the Prison Bars would be rubbing salt into the wounds.
Played like that plenty of times in the prison bars in the past

Let's just reflect on the fact that we're the only sporting team in the world who can't even manage to wear its preferred playing uniform. If we can't achieve something as simple and universal as that, how the hell could we ever hope to do something like win a premiership?

It’s sorta like when Cardiff wore red instead of blue and white for a little while, but this is permanent.

Correct me if I am wrong on this topic but before we joined the AFL was the prison bar guernsey never worn at training in the minor round. You had to make the finals to have the right to wear it at training. So if this is correct this team does not deserve to wear the famous PRISON BAR Guernsey.

Correct me if I am wrong on this topic but before we joined the AFL was the prison bar guernsey never worn at training in the minor round. You had to make the finals to have the right to wear it at training. So if this is correct this team does not deserve to wear the famous PRISON BAR Guernsey.

True.

Worse, is that the current custodians of the club shouldn't be the people negotiating/pleading with the AFL to wear it.

Yes they do, just not at training.. 😎

It’s sorta like when Cardiff wore red instead of blue and white for a little while, but this is permanent.
It’s nothing like that.

Instead of the AFL/Collingwood blocking us, it was their owner.
It was absolutely nothing alike.
Trust me, I fought harder against that than I need to here!
It was a different situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back