Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was thinking about how the sooner we can make the prison bars a permanent fixture at AFL level in conjunction with the increased use of the new logo, we could probably just drop the Magpies emblem altogether. Wouldn't that suit Collingwood? As far as I'm concerned, the only real good faith argument against us is that we still sell and wear stuff with 'Magpies' on it.

I'm writing an article about the prison bars and I'd like to get some opinions on the Bring Back The Bars campaign. If you're interested please PM me and I'll send you a list of questions. Cheers :thumbsu:
(Message extended to any non-Port fans who support the use of the Bars and may find themselves here by chance)
EDIT: article has been finished. thanks to those who helped

Last edited:
And the article is done, I'd appreciate if you guys could check it out and if there's any incorrect points please do let me know.

I'd argue that the club never produced merchandise with Est. 1996. It was certainly available, however it was produced by the AFL.

In 1997 there was a run of bomber jackets produced with Est. 1996 on them, the club sent them back to the AFL and told them not to play that bullshit with them. They were then rectified and reproduced with Est. 1870.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'd argue that the club never produced merchandise with Est. 1996. It was certainly available, however it was produced by the AFL.

In 1997 there was a run of bomber jackets produced with Est. 1996 on them, the club sent them back to the AFL and told them not to play that bullshit with them. They were then rectified and reproduced with Est. 1870.

Yep. This is the one correction needed.

Otherwise well done.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

And the article is done, I'd appreciate if you guys could check it out and if there's any incorrect points please do let me know.
This Paulo Roberto bloke is weird, but seems to be a nice person.

Bloody hell, you didn't give me much time to reply :)!

Good point, will rectify this asap
Bloody hell, you didn't give me much time to reply :)!
Was thinking the same thing!
Sorry guys, that’s on me for starting this one the day before I needed to finish it hahaha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good idea, part one had a lot of establishing the entire situation to the reader, while part two could have more fan opinions. Great idea!
Change that part though. It wasn't the club it was the AFL, same with the SANFL team situation and the colours, all imposed on us!

These are very important points.

Change that part though. It wasn't the club it was the AFL, same with the SANFL team situation and the colours, all imposed on us!

These are very important points.
I think with the colours and name I explained it sufficiently (calling it an ultimatum, saying we obliged rather than choosing to) but the PAMFC paragraph was a head * to write, I'll definitely be sure to update it and point out that it was the league enforcing these changes on us. Cheers :thumbsu:

Good article.

Yeah the club didn't claim it was Established in 1996 and the merchandising was not the club's choice but it took the club a long time to correct it though. I think a lot of that merchandise was the Vivid and AFL brand. Under Bucky the club approached and settled with the AFL the true establishment date. I think Demetriou was AFL CEO at the time. I have been told that the AFL would use the 'Est 1996' to oppose our requests to wear the PB, and apparently still brought it up in 2020 (?), and if true, it sounds like Eddie clutching at propaganda, again.

Where the club didn't help itself was between the '04 flag and 2010 where it appeared to selectively smother our traditional image in preference for Planet Teal stuff. It was maybe '08/'09, I cannot recall which year exactly, I was told emphatically by an official in the club that the way for Port to survive was to distance itself from the "black and white Magpies stigma" because "it is killing our club" and thus in those years the club muddied our identity even more.

As far as I know (??) there has never been any documentation found that points to the design of the jumper being that of the wharf pylons, it has just been the most logical connection if the design was based on anything linked to the area, but it sounds good.

Fiacchi, Richardson and KT have said that when we wore the jumper in the '14 Elimination Final, the AFL allowed us to wear it but it didn't believe that we had a chance of getting them manufactured and delivered in the timeframe given.

Years ago, the Port Store manager or the main man, whatever the title is, said to me that the AFL screens all the merchandise and ours in particular. Port merchandise cannot conflict with Collingwood's black and white. It explains the official AFL merchandise for so many years on garments predominantly black being coupled with teal and in recent years silver, but hardly white unless the garment is predominantly white. Exclude the PA range as it is not official AFL merch so I don't know how the club has managed it but I did hear Eddie complain about it and promise to "look into it".

In this season's stock, those black track jackets with the silver yoke, St Kilda have pretty much the same one with the silver yoke and they hardly ever use silver, but Collingwood's exact same jacket has it with white yoke. It makes me wonder. I pretty much believe that the Store manager was saying the truth.

Good article.

Yeah the club didn't claim it was Established in 1996 and the merchandising was not the club's choice but it took the club a long time to correct it though. I think a lot of that merchandise was the Vivid and AFL brand. Under Bucky the club approached and settled with the AFL the true establishment date. I think Demetriou was AFL CEO at the time. I have been told that the AFL would use the 'Est 1996' to oppose our requests to wear the PB, and apparently still brought it up in 2020 (?), and if true, it sounds like Eddie clutching at propaganda, again.

Where the club didn't help itself was between the '04 flag and 2010 where it appeared to selectively smother our traditional image in preference for Planet Teal stuff. It was maybe '08/'09, I cannot recall which year exactly, I was told emphatically by an official in the club that the way for Port to survive was to distance itself from the "black and white Magpies stigma" because "it is killing our club" and thus in those years the club muddied our identity even more.

As far as I know (??) there has never been any documentation found that points to the design of the jumper being that of the wharf pylons, it has just been the most logical connection if the design was based on anything linked to the area, but it sounds good.

Fiacchi, Richardson and KT have said that when we wore the jumper in the '14 Elimination Final, the AFL allowed us to wear it but it didn't believe that we had a chance of getting them manufactured and delivered in the timeframe given.
Ahhhh that’s what I forgot, the whole planet teal thing. I probably should’ve included more about the overuse of teal as well as the part about the improbability of ISC making the 2014 bars. For what it’s worth I’ve never seen anything about. The bars actually being based on the pylons, especially given the first few iterations had a v-shaped top bar, but if the shoe fits.
Years ago, the Port Store manager or the main man, whatever the title is, said to me that the AFL screens all the merchandise and ours in particular. Port merchandise cannot conflict with Collingwood's black and white. It explains the official AFL merchandise for so many years on garments predominantly black being coupled with teal and in recent years silver, but hardly white unless the garment is predominantly white. Exclude the PA range as it is not official AFL merch so I don't know how the club has managed it but I did hear Eddie complain about it and promise to "look into it".

In this season's stock, those black track jackets with the silver yoke, St Kilda have pretty much the same one with the silver yoke and they hardly ever use silver, but Collingwood's exact same jacket has it with white yoke. It makes me wonder. I pretty much believe that the Store manager was saying the truth.
I quite like the use of silver in our merch in all honesty, but the fact that Collingwood is getting exceptions and we’re getting overchecked really irks me. An equal league they reckon, it appears some clubs are treated more equal than others.

Ahhhh that’s what I forgot, the whole planet teal thing. I probably should’ve included more about the overuse of teal as well as the part about the improbability of ISC making the 2014 bars. For what it’s worth I’ve never seen anything about. The bars actually being based on the pylons, especially given the first few iterations had a v-shaped top bar, but if the shoe fits.

I quite like the use of silver in our merch in all honesty, but the fact that Collingwood is getting exceptions and we’re getting overchecked really irks me. An equal league they reckon, it appears some clubs are treated more equal than others.

The first iterations of the wharf pylon jumper did not have a v-shaped bar. It is just in some pictures the jumper hasn't sat balanced or the player's folded arms has distorted the horizontal bar, or something odd but the intention has always been horizontal bar. Our v-jumper design is basically identical to a couple of the jumpers worn by the Roosters in their history.

Ok, article has been updated, should be sweet now. Hopefully my future articles won't have such a short turnaround and I can get more feedback before publishing. Thanks to those who suggested amendments. I actually wrote this for university entry so if I get in I'll pre-emptively thankf BF and the Port board for such a cause :thumbsu:

Ok, article has been updated, should be sweet now. Hopefully my future articles won't have such a short turnaround and I can get more feedback before publishing. Thanks to those who suggested amendments. I actually wrote this for university entry so if I get in I'll pre-emptively thankf BF and the Port board for such a cause :thumbsu:
Truthfully, you probably should have sought feedback before publishing.

So much s**t has been caused by mis-information over the years.

This site is a great resource of people who lived the history and know all the turns and tribulations.

Truthfully, you probably should have sought feedback before publishing.

So much sh*t has been caused by mis-information over the years.

This site is a great resource of people who lived the history and know all the turns and tribulations.
Agreed, although given the low number of views this will probably garner (at present it's less than 60) I can't imagine it would do much to muddy the waters in regards to public perception. I think I've done well in terms of being correct though, more so than some other articles I've seen from bigger corporations and it's a credit to this site for the information I've read here, though having not lived through the history it would've been responsible to do even more research beforehand. Alas, it is a learning experience for future and given the article was written for the sole purpose of a university entry folio I don't think any misinformation should occur, especially given the amendments made. Happy to go over it again though if need be, as for a topic I'm passionate about I strive to be as correct as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back