Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With what happened with his mother I think we might see a different McGuire in 2021.
Here's hoping he becomes a bit more open with regard to respecting the traditions of others.

What happened with his mother?

The Tsier story about the club's redevelopment of the Port club and Museum;

Featuring replicas of The Magpies’ 36 SANFL premierships and the Power’s 2004 AFL flag on display the museum - which will involve interactive exhibitions and storytelling of the club’s legends across its 150-years - will also involve 160-year-old wharf pylons from Port Adelaide used in a homage to the club’s famous guernsey.

With AFL looking at a February announcement of FIXture - we might get a hearing in January but I'm not sure if the Commission meets in January.

There is a Q&A Tsier article with their 3 journos Reece Homfray, Matt Turner and Liz Walsh about 2021 season, Port and the crows. Liz Walsh gave an interesting answer to this question

10. What’s the most critical thing Port Adelaide has done off-field that has turned it into a destination club?

LW:
Three words: The Prison Bars. Port has done a significant amount of work to turn its long history in the SANFL into a reason the players should feel like they are part of a proud club that has a deep connection to its community and in turn, the club has a deep connection with all the players who pull on the jumper.

RH: They’ve turned the club into a ‘family’ for interstaters. A compassionate coach, strong leadership has removed any cliques among the players and don’t underestimate the pre-season camps or trips to China to strengthen the bond among the group where players feel loved and can’t see themselves leaving.

MT: The Power’s stability has been crucial. Port had the same coach, chief executive and president from 2013-20. Its football manager has been at the Power for six years. Its captain has been at Alberton for a decade. The club’s list manager too. Keith Thomas stepped aside as chief executive at the end of this past season but was replaced internally by Matthew Richardson, who knows the club well. Port has had disappointing campaigns during this stretch but has been able to sell itself as a steady club with its leaders singing from the same hymn sheet, at least most of the time.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
They are not prison bars they are the 6 wharves of the port of Adelaide it is a aerial view of them.So it makes absolute complete sense why P.A.F.C put them on there jumper because those 6 wharves when you think about it ultimately built our city from construction material medicine coal and of course all types of ppl looking to start a life in the beautiful Adelaide.And on that note that is thus the reason for the establishment of a club in 1870.because all the wharf workers and there families were all based in or around so typical gentleman in those days needed somewhere to blow of some steam and of course get away from the family lol stop 🛑 telling ppl it’s because we are thugs and that they are prison bars that is just a nickname that has grown legs and feared opponents to there bones.We have had a lot of ppl who have been in or out of jail but who hasn’t had someone in there family gone to prison before 🧐and in those old times a lot of ppl have been to prison it was pretty normal especially working in the ship yards we as port ppl need to understand this because I have so much love and passion for this club and all history that I cannot sit back and see this happen without saying something.They are wharves not prison bars 🤦‍♂️
So a message to all supporters please be more invested in our history.Its our duty as a member as I’m to tell ppl the truth about our history and importance to the rise of the city of Adelaide and the Competitive hard tuff nature of the S.A.N.F.L.Because there always needs to be a powerful villain that everyone wants to beat

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
God has spoken! 😱

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons

It’s a shame I got into the game after Cometti’s retirement. His game commentaries were outstanding. The fact that he loves our guernsey is awesome!

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They are not prison bars they are the 6 wharves of the port of Adelaide it is a aerial view of them.So it makes absolute complete sense why P.A.F.C put them on there jumper because those 6 wharves when you think about it ultimately built our city from construction material medicine coal and of course all types of ppl looking to start a life in the beautiful Adelaide.And on that note that is thus the reason for the establishment of a club in 1870.because all the wharf workers and there families were all based in or around so typical gentleman in those days needed somewhere to blow of some steam and of course get away from the family lol stop 🛑 telling ppl it’s because we are thugs and that they are prison bars that is just a nickname that has grown legs and feared opponents to there bones.We have had a lot of ppl who have been in or out of jail but who hasn’t had someone in there family gone to prison before 🧐and in those old times a lot of ppl have been to prison it was pretty normal especially working in the ship yards we as port ppl need to understand this because I have so much love and passion for this club and all history that I cannot sit back and see this happen without saying something.They are wharves not prison bars 🤦‍♂️
So a message to all supporters please be more invested in our history.Its our duty as a member as I’m to tell ppl the truth about our history and importance to the rise of the city of Adelaide and the Competitive hard tuff nature of the S.A.N.F.L.Because there always needs to be a powerful villain that everyone wants to beat

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As far as I know there is no documentation stipulating any information connecting the design of the jumper being representative of the pylons. Initially there were stripes right around the back before it being reduced to stripes on the front only. The number of stripes was not always 6 but this number tended to be the most consistent on the lace up. There's been 4, 5, 6 stripes and 9 on those pullover sekem ones you would get from kmart in the old days.

Kmart brings back memories. It stocked all sanfl club merch.
Further on I am rembering supermarkets selling packs of ice blocks in each sanfl club colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s a shame I got into the game after Cometti’s retirement. His game commentaries were outstanding. The fact that he loves our guernsey is awesome!
He’s certainly my favourite commentator ever, loved his voice and his one liners were terrific (as opposed to say Bruce Macavaney who comes off a little bit cringe). I think Dennis does radio commentary in WA only though which is a sham.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
commetti was a lot better just calling.

When he started with the weird one liners he got very cringey. esp with bruce

Credit where it’s due though he was very witty. No current commentator could piece together something even half decent on the spot.

There was a time circa 2002-2006 where we were scheduled in the early Sunday graveyard slot just about every second week, which Cometti was calling for channel 9 at the time. Absolutely brilliant by comparison to the rubbish we're dished up now. Dwayne Russell even called some of these games alongside Cometti and believe it or not wasn't nearly as much of a dickhead as he is now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back