Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol at all the hardballers in this thread.

Have any of you ever had to negotiate anything where you're not in a position of strength?

Have any of you ever had to negotiate anything where you're not in a position of strength?
Often. Every day. It’s called marriage.

Frequently.

The first approach is to try and find a win-win.

If the other party is being completely unreasonable like Collingwood though then you need to grasp onto any piece of leverage or even perceived leverage you can find and argue your case hard.

Frequently.

The first approach is to try and find a win-win.

If the other party is being completely unreasonable like Collingwood though then you need to grasp onto any piece of leverage or even perceived leverage you can find and argue your case hard.

You know it’s not Collingwood that’s the problem, it’s the AFL.
Port attacking Collingwood when they’re down will do the exact opposite of what we want.

As much as I want this to go through, there needs to be a level of diplomatic sensibility due to our relatively low power in the triumvirate.

Port attacking Collingwood when they’re down will do the exact opposite of what we want.

As much as I want this to go through, there needs to be a level of diplomatic sensibility due to our relatively low power in the triumvirate.

i think we're past the stage of actually discussing logistics and realities in this thread. it's basically for "yeah get em stuff eddie lets war!!!!" easy post count increase

i think we're past the stage of actually discussing logistics and realities in this thread. it's basically for "yeah get em stuff eddie lets war!!!!" easy post count increase

Fair enough. I get that.

Collingwood is absolutely the problem.

Do you think the AFL would have an issue with the highest selling guernsey in the AFL if Collingwood didn't?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do you think the AFL would have an issue with the highest selling guernsey in the AFL if Collingwood didn't?

But ultimately the AFL could unilaterally approve us to wear the PBs in every single game right now if they wanted. Even negotiating with Collingwood directly legitimises their opposition to the bars.

We should put our submission in to the AFL and keep any reference to Collingwood minimal and only referring to the previous arrangements. Any pot shots at Collingwood should be made by allies in the media, not by the club.

But ultimately the AFL could unilaterally approve us to wear the PBs in every single game right now if they wanted. Even negotiating with Collingwood directly legitimises their opposition to the bars.

We should put our submission in to the AFL and keep any reference to Collingwood minimal and only referring to the previous arrangements. Any pot shots at Collingwood should be made by allies in the media, not by the club.
The last point is probably the best one. Yes it would be better coming from someone like Kane than directly from the club.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last point is probably the best one. Yes it would be better coming from someone like Kane than directly from the club.

I actually typed out Kane but I think he's seen as so contrarian at the moment he probably wouldn't help our cause. It would just give undecided types someone else in the argument to hate when we want them hating Collingwood.

I actually typed out Kane but I think he's seen as so contrarian at the moment he probably wouldn't help our cause. It would just give undecided types someone else in the argument to hate when we want them hating Collingwood.
Better if Tony Shaw comes out again and says he doesn't have a problem with it and now that McGuire has retired, we can have a sensible approach to Port and letting them wear it for their special occasions.

If Collingwood had the power to make the decision, don't you think it would have been done by now?

If the decision hasn't been made, then the problem isn't Collingwood. It's the AFL.

To get the AFL on side, we need to be diplomatic.

Do you understand that?

This matter must've been raised at the media day yesterday...

Collingwood premiership player-turned Power development coach and rookie-listed defender Tyson Goldsack said McGuire’s departure meant less opposition, at least for now.

“I’m sure someone will step up and complain about the prison bars, but we have our right to play in it,” Goldsack said.

“It is about heritage and Collingwood is all about heritage, so they should understand.”

If Collingwood had the power to make the decision, don't you think it would have been done by now?

If the decision hasn't been made, then the problem isn't Collingwood. It's the AFL.

To get the AFL on side, we need to be diplomatic.

Do you understand that?
Both the Collingwood, and by association, the AFL, are the problem. CFC cannot make the decision themselves, but they can certainly exert influence on the AFL.

Notwithstanding this, I agree 100% that diplomacy is the strategy here.

Don't make it "public" that we are dancing on McGuire's grave and feasting on the rotting carcase that is the CFC, in order to push through the BBTB (even though we as supporters know that we are).

Be civil. Be contrite. Be respectful of Collingwood as an entity, and their own history. And ultimately state publicly that this is not a "them versus us" war.

Just make the point that we have our own history - that we cherish. That this history is embodied by the iconic black and white striped guernsey, and was what got us into the AFL in the first instance. That this (and other merchandising and advertising strategies associated with the notion of the PB's) is one of our primary income streams - which ensures that the AFL will be "less likely" to have the need to bail the PAFC out of financial strife in future, as we become more self sustainable. That we are not encroaching on the CFC's "brand", as our design is instantly notable for being distinct from their strip, therefore it does not hurt Collingwood's financial revenue stream. That we are not asking to wear the kit every game - certainly not against Collingwood, nor in direct competition to a fixture that they would be playing at the same time we are (or immediately prior or afterwards, so there will be no confusion). That far bigger sporting competitions across the globe have multiple participating teams with the same colours, and it is not an issue for them. That there is no such thing as a "copyright for colours" - just ask Cadbury! That we have the right to celebrate a significant aspect of our history every year.

And that the AFL Commission have the ultimate authority to decide in our favour on this issue, without having to get approval from a third party.

Both the Collingwood, and by association, the AFL, are the problem. CFC cannot make the decision themselves, but they can certainly exert influence on the AFL.

Notwithstanding this, I agree 100% that diplomacy is the strategy here.

Don't make it "public" that we are dancing on McGuire's grave and feasting on the rotting carcase that is the CFC, in order to push through the BBTB (even though we as supporters know that we are).

Be civil. Be contrite. Be respectful of Collingwood as an entity, and their own history. And ultimately state publicly that this is not a "them versus us" war.

Just make the point that we have our own history - that we cherish. That this history is embodied by the iconic black and white striped guernsey, and was what got us into the AFL in the first instance. That this (and other merchandising and advertising strategies associated with the notion of the PB's) is one of our primary income streams - which ensures that the AFL will be "less likely" to have the need to bail the PAFC out of financial strife in future, as we become more self sustainable. That we are not encroaching on the CFC's "brand", as our design is instantly notable for being distinct from their strip, therefore it does not hurt Collingwood's financial revenue stream. That we are not asking to wear the kit every game - certainly not against Collingwood, nor in direct competition to a fixture that they would be playing at the same time we are (or immediately prior or afterwards, so there will be no confusion). That far bigger sporting competitions across the globe have multiple participating teams with the same colours, and it is not an issue for them. That there is no such thing as a "copyright for colours" - just ask Cadbury! That we have the right to celebrate a significant aspect of our history every year.

And that the AFL Commission have the ultimate authority to decide in our favour on this issue, without having to get approval from a third party.

Be contrite???

1613092622939.png

Bought two prison bars last year. Happy to buy six this year if it helps the club.

Mr Richo hinted at some sort of tin rattling exercise coming up in tonight's AGM - your solution would certainly help, as long as the Port Store has sufficient stocks ;)

Haven't kept up with this thread, but can someone give me a quick update as to where we're at with the bars?

Are we looking to wear them at all this season?

Haven't kept up with this thread, but can someone give me a quick update as to where we're at with the bars?

In limbo.

My hunch is that we won't wear them this season and the club is ok with that because they'll say they will push for it again next season, which will be too late because it loses the connection to our 150th year celebrations being thwarted by covid.

My hunch is that we won't wear them this season and the club is ok with that because they'll say they will push for it again next season, which will be too late because it loses the connection to our 150th year celebrations being thwarted by covid.
As weak as usual. AFL using the excuse of COVID to put it off (as if it takes more than a minute to say Yes), with the club capitulating yet again. You don't need to be a dick, but bending over to the AFL, in the hope of getting something else in return never works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back