Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Haven't kept up with this thread, but can someone give me a quick update as to where we're at with the bars?

Are we looking to wear them at all this season?
If we don't it will be one of the worst moves the club has made since 2010!

Wearing them every year from 150th on is so significant that it doesn't even bear mentioning!

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Its a big test for Richo this issue IMO.

Is he going to be say what everyone wants to hear but not people through?

Or is he going to be a CEO that gets things done (or ar least rattles the cage harding he can't get what he wants).

Essentially does he have the minerals to be the CEO we need.

On SM-G960F using
BigFooty.com mobile app

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
My hunch is that we won't wear them this season and the club is ok with that because they'll say they will push for it again next season, which will be too late because it loses the connection to our 150th year celebrations being thwarted by covid.

I'll be absolutely shattered if this is the outcome.

We should never, ever be publicly okay with being denied the bars. Get in the media and rant and rave about it. Call people in the AFL out by name. It's such a minor issue in the scheme of things for the AFL, that they're more likely to acquiese to letting us wear the bars than to punish us in any way for pushing the issue. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

It's also a slam dunk marketing issue for supporters. Either we wear the bars or they become a very strong rallying point when we're denied them.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'll be absolutely shattered if this is the outcome.

We should never, ever be publicly okay with being denied the bars. Get in the media and rant and rave about it. Call people in the AFL out by name. It's such a minor issue in the scheme of things for the AFL, that they're more likely to acquiese to letting us wear the bars than to punish us in any way for pushing the issue. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

It's also a slam dunk marketing issue for supporters. Either we wear the bars or they become a very strong rallying point when we're denied them.
My guess the club has capitulated and say they are willing to do Home Showdowns, but folded so early they didn't get any agreement if they did already in place.

My guess the club has capitulated and say they are willing to do Home Showdowns, but folded so early they didn't get any agreement if they did already in place.

I don't think that is the case.

One possibility is that the AFL have said ok you can wear it in home showdown this year as an extension of the 150th celebrations due to the impact of COVID on our home crowd last year.

This would be seperate to any request and approval for wearing it ongoing.

We know they were preparing a pitch to the AFL that was delayed several times. This may or may not have been presented, but we do know there has been no decision by the AFL, so it seems the process has stalled.

The club may have decided to leave the pitch to the end of this year if the bolded scenario above is correct.

(and yes, I am clutching at straws, trying to find a positive)

I don't have any faith that we'll see anything come of this under Matthew Richardson.

That sounds pretty definitive actually.
Does it? It refers to the one time we have certainly, it may point to a desire, but it certainly doesn't tell us it's happening. How many weeks until the Showdown now?

11 weeks to get approval and manufacture done, not to mention replicas. Assuming it is done this week!

Doesn't look good.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Does it? It refers to the one time we have certainly, it may point to a desire, but it certainly doesn't tell us it's happening. How many weeks until the Showdown now?

11 weeks to get approval and manufacture done, not to mention replicas. Assuming it is done this week!

Doesn't look good.

The tense says it all, as does showdowns being in plural.

"And of course we are wearing the Prisonbars in Showdowns as a symbol of greatness".

Could this have already happened without an announcement?

"And of course we are wearing the Prisonbars in Showdowns as a symbol of greatness".

No chance!
Looking at all the typos in the 150th Book thingy, I wouldn't give much credence to club grammar :).

The letter I read (in the archive) on club headed notepaper dated 1838 was interesting!

The fact that a club has to present to the AFL Commission to put its case for wearing a piece of kit that vaguely resembles another club's kit in games explicitly not involving that other club is an embarrassment to the entire league and reflects what is a billion dollar industry in an amazingly provincial and pissant light.

Which could mean in 2022 onward and not in 2021.

Until its announced, locked in, merchandise is available, I wont believe it has AFL approval.

Which could mean in 2022 onward and not in 2021.

Until its announced, locked in, merchandise is available, I wont believe it has AFL approval.
And if it is 2022 approved, there is zero reason not to 2021 approve.
So if it doesn't happen this season, I doubt very much it will be happening in the future except as 'special occasions' rather than a regular guernsey.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
So if it doesn't happen this season, I doubt very much it will be happening in the future except as 'special occasions' rather than a regular guernsey.

We need this spelled out publicly by the club.

Nothing could be worse for this campaign than a "oh well we tried guys, we'll have another crack next year."

I want details of the hearing. I want dates, I want names, I want a decision and explanation in writing. I want everything we need to be able to dissect this. No more mythical agreement or contract of which nobody can seem to produce the exact terms. Tell us who said what and why.

It's a very minor issue for the AFL, it's not going to cost us political capital to push hard on it because to them it's not a core business issue, and if we maintain the rage we'll get what we want.

The AFL keeps deferring things for 2021 the club can't do a lot about it. It's not that important to AFL - unfortunately for us.

It means we have to make sure that we get in front of them and stitch up the bars as a permanent thing from 2022, before the 2022 FIXture is released.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
We need this spelled out publicly by the club.

Nothing could be worse for this campaign than a "oh well we tried guys, we'll have another crack next year."

I want details of the hearing. I want dates, I want names, I want a decision and explanation in writing. I want everything we need to be able to dissect this. No more mythical agreement or contract of which nobody can seem to produce the exact terms. Tell us who said what and why.

It's a very minor issue for the AFL, it's not going to cost us political capital to push hard on it because to them it's not a core business issue, and if we maintain the rage we'll get what we want.
Absolutely.

We need to bring the argument into the public.

Trying to play politics behind the scenes doesn't work for a small club like us.

Playing politics works when there is public pressure.

If we can't get it over the line in 2021 with all of the public momentum we have and Covid as a great excuse to do everything possible to raise a buck we won't be getting it over the line in 2022 (or any time soon).

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The AFL keeps deferring things for 2021 the club can't do a lot about it. It's not that important to AFL - unfortunately for us.

It means we have to make sure that we get in front of them and stitch up the bars as a permanent thing from 2022, before the 2022 FIXture is released.
Yes, but there are no guarantees for 2022 so they need to be gently persuaded to make the decision.

If it's not that important to the AFL then they shouldn't mind if we just decide to run out in them one day without asking for permission.
This is where the logic falls apart for me as well.
If they don’t really care enough to give us a hearing, then what does it matter.

If it's not that important to the AFL then they shouldn't mind if we just decide to run out in them one day without asking for permission.

that would be rocking the boat, we're trying to be Good Boys

I don't have any faith that we'll see anything come of this under Matthew Richardson.
Why? Richardson is the one who pushed it this far. KT and Koch didn’t really give a s**t.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
that would be rocking the boat, we're trying to be Good Boys

I think this is a good thing to rock the boat on.

It's hugely important to the club. Dying on this hill will rally the supporter base like nothing else we can do besides win.

And importantly, it's not business critical for the AFL, it's basically a non-issue for them. Make enough noise about it and they'll let it happen just to shut us up and get it out of the news, and we can support other AFL initiatives in the mean time to maintain our good citizen standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back