Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

beenreal

Club Legend
Nov 19, 2003
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
He has talked about it a few times over the years in interviews I've heard. He was a Woodville supporter as a kid because Les - or Bro as he was known, got involved with Woodville, even before its early days in the SANFL and McDermott was taken to home games by grandpa and he got to meet the players and they became his heroes. He has said he was shattered as a kid when he found out he couldn't play for them as he lived in the Glenelg zone - don't know where, but he did go to Brighton High with Stephen Kernahan.

As my former Year-8 cricket coach at BHS, I've known Bone for quite a while. Asked him a couple of years ago how long it took him to stop barracking for Woodville after joining the Bays. Sheepishly, he said, "I never stopped. I hated playing against Woodville."

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
$200 for the short sleeve and $250 for the long sleeve

Are they taking the piss?

The long sleeve one sold out in around 90 minutes (if that) when it went on shelves at the Port Store for $250 last year.

People are more than willing to pay through the nose (myself included) for prison bar apparel.

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
The long sleeve one sold out in around 90 minutes (if that) when it went on shelves at the Port Store for $250 last year.

People are more than willing to pay through the nose (myself included) for prison bar apparel.
But Ports please to make some monies first

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Inaugural Crows captain Chris McDermott just said on The Front Bar that the PBs is a fantastic guernsey and that we should definitely be allowed to wear it in the AFL.

yes he was pretty definitive wasn’t he. He was just as definitive in previous years about the other mob not wearing the state Guernsey as well.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
Don't tell me someone went by photos where by the lace up is done up so tightly that it pulls the horizontal bar upwards forming this peak.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

There's a few odd looking ones in the team photos included in the archives collection, but why wouldn't you go for a straight bar on an item like this?

We've never actually worn this jumper in matches - the Magpies patch didn't come in until 1978 and we haven't had a collar since then. It's a pastiche rather than a replica.

Last edited:
Port Adelaide Fibre Of Footy Short Sleeve Jumper (portstore.com.au)

Port Adelaide Fibre Of Footy Long Sleeve Jumper (portstore.com.au)

The Vintage Football Jumper Company, in conjunction with Woolmark and the Port Adelaide Football Club, is proud to release a series of retrospective vintage jumpers 'The Heritage Collection'.

This edition is a stunning tribute to Port Adelaide Football Club’s 150-year history, steeped in tradition, success and heritage, the famous retrospective reproduction Port Adelaide woollen jumper worn as early as 1902 is an iconic piece of Port Adelaide Football Club folklore. The famous prison bar depiction is one of the most iconic, recognised and oldest football guernseys in Australia and made famous by club legends such as Ebert, Obst, Motley, Quinn, Williams, Cahill, Wanganeen and Hodges.

The Port Adelaide Football Club is the most successful league football club in Australia. It has won a record four Champions of Australia titles, a record 36 SANFL Premierships and an AFL Premiership. The merino wool in this Guernsey was grown by sheep grazing the Australian landscape, cared for by Australian farmers, and shorn and manufactured here in Australia.

The jumper features the traditional collar design, carries the synonymous Port Magpies woven badge, a commemorative inner back neckline canvas patch with all club premiership years and is a genuine collectible for all Port Adelaide diehards.

This is interesting as a few years ago the Wool Corporation decided to make a push back into making woolen footy jumpers as the modern polyester and other synthetic material ones took off in the early noughties and ammo, suburban and country clubs got their jumpers made by the manufacturers using these materials.

They employed Tom Hawkins and Nat Fyfe as initial ambassadors and then a few other Vic club players with a strong country wool heritage to help promote it. Saw a story on Landline about it a few years ago. First time I have noticed Port get involved. Wonder if we get a bit more involved with this.

This is the Landline story from GF week 2017, Fibre of Football - Kicking goals with traditional footy woolen jumpers.

Last edited:
Also didn't know that McDermott's grandfather was Les Dayman, Port Adelaide star of the 1920s and 30s, league leading goalkicker in 1930 with 89 (not 99 as first thought), 2nd in the Magarey Medal as a ruckman in 1925.

Fighter of Les Nightman

A pure new wool jumper usually costs about that.
I bought the nylon one a few years back, that cost over a $100 then!

Watch the Landline story I linked and 4 or 5 minutes in, the guy whose company is manufacturing the jumpers, didn't think people would buy the replica AFL jumpers at $200 each as wool is so much more expensive than synthetic fibre jumpers, when the guy from Australian Wool Innovations ( part of Wool Corporation) approached him to make footy jumpers out of wool again.

He was surprised by the demand and willingness of consumers to pay the price and cranked up production.

Ilias M

Club Legend
Mar 22, 2015
Port Adelaide, Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Yet magpies logo is gone from Port Adelaide in the sanfl. Silence?

Pretty funny that we screaming prison bars yet the cornerstone of our clubs heritage losing the logo is totally dismissed.

We all know what supporters screamed in 1997 Port Adelaide told supporters at the Adelaide entertainment centre we are POWER POWER embrace it.

I think we need to fight for both or start embracing the new logo and our current top.

20210408_173306.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty funny that we screaming prison bars yet the cornerstone of our clubs heritage losing the logo is totally dismissed.

We all know what supporters screamed in 1997 Port Adelaide told supporters at the Adelaide entertainment centre we are POWER POWER embrace it.

I think we need to fight for both or start embracing the new logo and our current top.

View attachment 1097204
If you want to start a fight for the Magpie, go for it.
The fight for the Bars is not the same fight.

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

View attachment 1097204

I can understand the move away from nicknames and the move to be just known as the Port Adelaide Football Club. I think it's a way for the club to manage the identity issues that have gone on in the past.

Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

View attachment 1097204

Yeh, there’s nothing like throwing in the towel over a 44 year old logo as opposed to a 120 year old guernsey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get the fuss about the logo. The club has a unified logo with heavy emphasis on the Port Adelaide name and the Prison Bars.

How are we supposed to have a unified club logo with a magpie and thunderbolt on it? It doesn't work, nor would the AFL allow it.

It's good to have such selective on heritage 👏
Why does the logo have to have the mascot on it? Melbourne don't have a Demon on their logo.

The Prison Bars being front and centre on ours is a good decision.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
There's a few odd looking ones in the team photos included in the archives collection, but why wouldn't you go for a straight bar on an item like this?

We've never actually worn this jumper in matches - the Magpies patch didn't come in until 1978 and we haven't had a collar since then. It's a pastiche rather than a replica.

It is on par with Grêmio’s replicas. The patch goes on the shirt even if it wasn’t the case on the original. Let’s say it is more a “reinterpretation” of the original than a replica. Calling it “vintage” makes sense.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeh, there’s nothing like throwing in the towel over a 44 year old logo as opposed to a 120 year old guernsey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That particular Magpie logo that we were raised on is 44 years old but the club has used a magpie in various forms from when the club donned the black and white. It took decades for SA clubs to elevate logos onto jumpers and merchandise. Just saying, not debating against you or the logo being replaced with the new logo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back