Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's good to have such selective on heritage 👏

Sometimes your digs at the club are misplaced and unfair. The new logo is supposed to embrace the club's past, present and future, and I think it does, as basic as I think it looks. At least it is a logo originating from the club. If I remember correctly, the Magpies logo, as much as I like it and I grew up with it, wasn't even a club designed logo, it was an SANFL design. The SANFL designed all the club logos sometime in the 70s (?). The club used a Magpie in various forms prior to the 70s but it didn't appear on the jumper from the time we became black and white until the 70s. Obviously the club didn't always use a Magpie as a logo either since 1902. Not having the Magpie logo doesn't mean we are not using the nickname in the SANFL, we still are. However, if in the future we must move on from the SANFL then obviously we won't have it as a nickname, and that's just the situation we have. It has been difficult enough fighting for the bars, a jumper that has been worn since 1902, in many premierships, through two major wars, with greater meaning and relevance etc ... We would be placing our fight for the bars at risk if we couple it with the Magpie logo and nickname. I know that Richardson is a big supporter of the Magpie but it was time that the club developed a new unified logo for its 150th year, and due to positive support for it, the club continued with it. Inferring that we should just keep our current jumper because we've ditched the Magpie logo is showing that you haven't thought this through deeply.

Apr 1, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The concept of enforcing and controlling team mascot/nicknames is garbage anyway. The nickname magpies would have originated organically in the early 1900s because of the jumper. People could have referred to us as dalmations or zebras as well, but magpies stuck through more regular use. It's kind of evident in how PAFC were the 'Maggies' whilst CFC have always been more the 'Pies'-- it's just what stuck.

It's only since the time of born in a boardroom clubs that you get this obsession with branding and getting the kid's attention through the nickname. That's how you get the 'must be capitalised' SUNS or the Camry Crows. If the AFL had any guts they would've deployed GC and GWS without nicknames and just let them develop based off the strip.

Mar 1, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I would have probably been against it at the time and at the obvious risk of being flamed ;) I now wonder whether it may have been better for the club to have a black and teal, or even silver version of the PB's in our jumper line up from the Powers inception.
It's too late now of course but I suspect having a version of the PB's in the locker, that could have been gradually changed to the more traditional guernsey may have made things a tad easier today.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
The magpie is an important part of our identity but it's celebrated through the bars. The bars are uniquely Port Adelaide, they're ours and ours alone.

The white back panel does that too, that's why I was glad to see it added to the BiB guernsey, but yes, the prison bar/wharf pylon design is uniquely ours.

Maybe with the technology available in fabric manufacture nowadays they could produce a (black) jumper with photo-realistic wharf pylons - not white of course, but like those at the Port, or the ones we will be using in the Port Club refurb.

I would have probably been against it at the time and at the obvious risk of being flamed ;) I now wonder whether it may have been better for the club to have a black and teal, or even silver version of the PB's in our jumper line up from the Powers inception.
It's too late now of course but I suspect having a version of the PB's in the locker, that could have been gradually changed to the more traditional guernsey may have made things a tad easier today.

The AFL launch was a tacky 90s utensil-up that we're still trying to rectify 25 years later. The Windows 95 logo thank goodness is gone. Now for the uniform.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So obvious the AFL will leave it to the last minute, approve it for this years home showdown only and hope that in the relief Port fans feel they can put it off yet again, in the hope somehow either Eddie has a heart attack or we give up.

Or they approve it once then Ed is on the commission and it’s dead in the water

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
If we get a late denial for the bars for the showdown then it's #CopTheFine time baby let's dance.

Would the club really do this? Is it a winning move? I don't expect our club to wear the jumper for a game if it has not been approved. Maybe a pre-warm up but I doubt it. If we did then likely most of our supporters will support this action and back the club but I don't know about the rest of the football world because today's society can be willing to back somebody's cause but not to the extent of when rules are broken. The club needs the afl to be onside for the long term and on other matters. Also, given recent history, such as when the sanfl purged all of our sanfl roots, the club seemed to hardly raise a fight for one reason or another, so it is doubtful that the club would test the waters with the afl in this way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The club needs the afl to be onside for the long term and on other matters.

This is exactly why this fight is a hill to die on. It's veerrrryyy low stakes for the AFL and everyone else bar us. We can toe the line on matters that actually matter to the AFL and show how important this is to us without really rocking the boat in a serious way.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good to see parliament supporting the bars.

6690F3B4-14BE-47FB-A422-AFA18CF0A009.jpeg

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
When you take a step back and observe the situation, you get a further appreciation for how ridiculous this has all become.

One only needs to take a look overseas in soccer leagues where multiple teams wear the some colour, and in some cases same style of jersey, yet it is not an issue.

There is an argument to be had that says "well Port Adelaide came into the AFL and Collingwood were there first so Collingwood should have exclusive rights over the black and white stripes." Even then I find that ridiculous. You will never see a sporting organisation in Europe get promoted or relegated, and in doing so are also asked to change their home strip because it is a direct clash with another club.

This has only become an issue because the AFL don't have the intestinal fortitude to use common sense. If Collingwood had as much power as a club like North Melbourne, there would never have been a debate about this in the first place.

PowerBaz

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
When you take a step back and observe the situation, you get a further appreciation for how ridiculous this has all become.

One only needs to take a look overseas in soccer leagues where multiple teams wear the some colour, and in some cases same style of jersey, yet it is not an issue.

There is an argument to be had that says "well Port Adelaide came into the AFL and Collingwood were there first so Collingwood should have exclusive rights over the black and white stripes." Even then I find that ridiculous. You will never see a sporting organisation in Europe get promoted or relegated, and in doing so are also asked to change their home strip because it is a direct clash with another club.

This has only become an issue because the AFL don't have the intestinal fortitude to use common sense. If Collingwood had as much power as a club like North Melbourne, there would never have been a debate about this in the first place.

The soccer argument doesn't stack up here, there are lots of clubs OS and lots of competitions, trouble is here there is only 1 AFL with one wearing black and white stripes.... It's a failure by the AFL of acknowledging our history as a national sport - when reality is it's a VFL run comp.

OnTheWagon

Debutant
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They will never tear us apart

changed to...

we will never give up the bars.

sung in unison by the crowd at the start of a prime time FTA game against Collingwood

that‘s my dream.

This is where Eddie is such a moron.
His huffing and puffing is giving the PBs infinitely more publicity than otherwise.
I hope for eternity that everytime the camera pans to the crowd all you see is PBs.
I would like to see PBs held up instead of scarves for the next few games but it's not catching on.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
This is where Eddie is such a moron.
His huffing and puffing is giving the PBs infinitely more publicity than otherwise.
I hope for eternity that everytime the camera pans to the crowd all you see is PBs.
I would like to see PBs held up instead of scarves for the next few games but it's not catching on.
I'll be holding up the bars for all future NTUA until something changes

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
The soccer argument doesn't stack up here, there are lots of clubs OS and lots of competitions, trouble is here there is only 1 AFL with one wearing black and white stripes.... It's a failure by the AFL of acknowledging our history as a national sport - when reality is it's a VFL run comp.

Completely disagree with your rationale here.

Take English soccer for instance. You'd never see a team like Sunderland be asked to change its red and white stripes if they were promoted to the Championship because it would clash with Stoke City who too have red and white stripes. What about Chelsea and Everton both wearing royal blue? Birmingham City and Reading both wearing blue and white stripes? Aston Villa and West Ham's kits are identical and yet that doesn't seem to be an issue for anyone. What about Man United and Liverpool who both wear a blocked red kit at home?

In Italy there are zero issues with Juventus (the biggest club in Italy whose brand is the black and white stripes above all else) and Udinese playing in the same bloody league wearing black and white stripes as their primary kit.

This concept is just as applicable to the idea of port wearing the prison bars in the AFL. It's even a looser concept here because the prison bar jumper is a completely different design to Collingwoods black and white striped jumper.

Anywhere else in the world this wouldn't even be thought of or considered to be an issue.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
The soccer argument doesn't stack up here, there are lots of clubs OS and lots of competitions, trouble is here there is only 1 AFL with one wearing black and white stripes.

What about the NBA where the Bulls, Rockets, Blazers and Raptors all wear red, black and white? Or the 76ers, Pistons and Clippers all wear blue, red and white? Or the countless other examples in closed major sports leagues around the world? The point is that plenty of clubs have the branding issue that Collingwood are saying is insurmountable and don't even bat an eyelid.

What about in the AFL controlled VFL where they have 2 black and yellow teams named the Tigers?

This is a purely dickswinging issue designed to keep an interstate side in its place and the world wouldn't stop turning for anyone if we were rightfully allowed to wear the bars as our home guernsey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back