Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Go the power!!!!!!

But seriously how does one become a Carlton fan?.... They have been sh*t for.... Like 15 years!?.
The Carlton fans are my mums cousins, they had it passed on from their parents who migrated from Malta in the 60s and 70s. I reckon out of all my relatives me and two of my cousins have been the only ones to change teams in recent times (one from Essendon to Collingwood around 2010 and one who hovered between a bunch till landing on Hawthorn during the three-peat).

I guess this is where I tell the story of how the Bars led me to going for Port...

I'd absolutely be the most passionate footy fan out of my entire extended family so one might find it weird that I'd be the one to switch teams, but the fact is I was growing disenfranchised with what Collingwood were becoming under Buckley and McGuire and my dad (pies fan) is still very very angry about what Buckley has done to the team as well as the fact that McGuire had a job at Collingwood for so long. Always liked Port from a young age thanks to the teal, i was about 4 or 5 and told my dad I wanted to go for Port or Freo because I liked their colours. It kinda dawned on me once I realised I was more sad about Port losing the PF in 2014 than I was about any Collingwood loss ever that maybe I wasn't a Collingwood fan anymore. When narrowing down my choices there were about 5 teams I was maybe considering (Port included) but mum told me I couldn't go for a non-Vic side so I thought of going for Geelong but that just felt wrong. I had a video of the 2014 EF vs Richmond on my phone because ran an AFL highlights page on Instagram and wanted to post Wingard's 2 speckys from the game so I downloaded the match highlights. This was in 2015 which was the year I started high school and I'd often find myself watching that video while waiting for my mum to pick me up after school because my sister was still in primary school and my mum would pick her up first despite me finishing earlier so I'd watched the video so much I'd basically memorised the commentary lines from the game and stuff like that. I was just in awe of what Port represented, the fans at Adelaide Oval for that game were unlike anything I'd see, and the jumper as well as what it represented and all the history and success, it was amazing. Port played amazing that day, it was almost as if the players were possessed by a higher force and just destroyed Richmond in the first quarter as well as throughout the game. The highlight video reinforced in my head that this team was right for me. Sure enough I made the switch in the 2015 preseason, I don't know the exact date but it was some time between Collingwood beating Hawthorn on the 26th of February and Collingwood losing to Carlton on the 15th of March. Haven't looked back since. 2018 was a weird year because they played so well but I don't regret switching, sure Hinkleyball can be frustrating but it could always be worse, we could have Buckley as a coach. Can't imagine myself as anything other than a Port fan anymore, Port are the perfect team for me.

Interesting that no signed agreements with Eddiewood have been referenced for that EF nor for when we wore them for the other games bar agreements in 2019 and 2007. It doesn't look like these signed agreements happened each time nor are necessary. Evans, representing the AFL, made a decision on the spot it seems, for the EF. How about that. Not so hard.
Whatever agreement there was for wearing Bars in the last home and away game at Footy Park vs Carlton in 2013 could be classified as ‘heritage’ inspired. The 2014 Elimination Final could not; it was ‘emergency’ inspired. You see, Eddie, you and your big mouth, the past is not as simple as you pretend it is.

Oct 12, 2007
The Hills
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Interesting that no signed agreements with Eddiewood have been referenced for that EF nor for when we wore them for the other games bar agreements in 2019 and 2007. It doesn't look like these signed agreements happened each time nor are necessary. Evans, representing the AFL, made a decision on the spot it seems, for the EF. How about that. Not so hard.
Eddie would have said nothing because he didn't want Richmond to have to wear a clash guernsey because he didn't want Collingwood to wear a clash guernsey.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Go the power!!!!!!

But seriously how does one become a Carlton fan?.... They have been sh*t for.... Like 15 years!?.
There are reasons:
Commitment from the elders.
Pity.
Aesthetics.
Accident.
etc.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Eddie would have said nothing because he didn't want Richmond to have to wear a clash guernsey because he didn't want Collingwood to wear a clash guernsey.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I can't imagine C'Wood being made to wear a clash jumper because Richmond did. Even if they did, it would be their traditional predominantly white jumper anyway, which Eddie doesn't mind, and doesn't appear to publicise the distinction to their predominantly black jumper.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Conspiracy theory time

The only reason that ports were able to get the prison bars up is because they expected to wear them earlier in the year for the century of champions of Australia and some preliminary work done already
The 1914 anniversary would have been a different design, but interesting theory.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The 1914 anniversary would have been a different design, but interesting theory.

Yep it would’ve been this version, which is also badass.

69A3B2EA-7AC6-46C7-B349-511400EF51DD.jpeg

Hahaha, fu**, Eddie was right all along, the bars are killing their brand! 😅
I have to be careful not to bring it up when I mention the prison bars debate. However Collingwood were already losing me due to their mismanagement and all of that stuff. I have a lot of respect for Collingwood's history though and know a lot about it, I would say I own more Collingwood related books than Port Adelaide books so as someone who's had a foot in each door and knows a lot about each club I can safely say I'm in favour of the bars and that Collingwood would've lost me anyway, it's just that the bars are why I picked Port. If not for them I might have been a Geelong fan... *shudders*

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
There was a clear push under James to completely disassociate ourselves from our name, heritage and roots. It's all well and good to promote that to the kids, but this festered all the way through the club.

You'd ring the club up and get a "Welcome to the Power", the reference to the name Port Adelaide was used sparingly. Teal branding everywhere, poor interaction with past players and reference to our past went as far back as 97. This was a deliberate push from James. Unforgivable and highly damaging.

At the time of Celebrating 10 years of Port in the AFL, there were several pieces of memorabilia that went into print with shocking fabricated history of this "new" Port Adelaide in the AFL. This went unnoticed on his watch!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Send through photos of the memorabilia, would be fun to see all the damage that was done. I rang Richmond Football Club last week and they said welcome to the Tigers, I did not get offended as I was seeking some tickets for a game in Melbourne.

I thought the original board was still there until Duncanson took over, he alone must of went rogue and caused this crippling damage alone.

Seems like some grudges here, we need to never tear us apart. We need to keep growing our supporter base and look after our own, do both.

I thought we were more damaged when we appointed Primus the coach post Choco. That was a really low period.

If the AFL closes the prison bar issue, we need to get on with being the Port Adelaide Football Club who is black white teal and silver and Power when I last looked.

Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Send through photos of the memorabilia, would be fun to see all the damage that was done. I rang Richmond Football Club last week and they said welcome to the Tigers, I did not get offended as I was seeking some tickets for a game in Melbourne.

I thought the original board was still there until Duncanson took over, he alone must of went rogue and caused this crippling damage alone.

Seems like some grudges here, we need to never tear us apart. We need to keep growing our supporter base and look after our own, do both.

I thought we were more damaged when we appointed Primus the coach post Choco. That was a really low period.

If the AFL closes the prison bar issue, we need to get on with being the Port Adelaide Football Club who is black white teal and silver and Power when I last looked.

The quest to distance the identity from the "Magpies stigma" was underway well before Primus was coach and Duncanson was president.
The afl may attempt to close the prison bars topic but the club and people are not.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Well fancy that.

Teal drawing them in and the bars getting them hooked.

Things can work together! You can eat your cake!

Same with me! 🙂

Mar 1, 2014
parallel universe
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I have to be careful not to bring it up when I mention the prison bars debate. However Collingwood were already losing me due to their mismanagement and all of that stuff. I have a lot of respect for Collingwood's history though and know a lot about it, I would say I own more Collingwood related books than Port Adelaide books so as someone who's had a foot in each door and knows a lot about each club I can safely say I'm in favour of the bars and that Collingwood would've lost me anyway, it's just that the bars are why I picked Port. If not for them I might have been a Geelong fan... *shudders*
Same with me! 🙂
wisely.JPG

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The quest to distance the identity from the "Magpies stigma" was underway well before Primus was coach and Duncanson was president.
The afl may attempt to close the prison bars topic but the club and people are not.
I grew up with Magpies, the reality for us is we are in the V(AFL) and its different than the past. I keep thinking how do we move forward and create the next Port Adelaide FC domination

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
I grew up with Magpies, the reality for us is we are in the V(AFL) and its different than the past. I keep thinking how do we move forward and create the next Port Adelaide FC domination
It was really a post-WWII thing in the SANFL. It took time.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Send through photos of the memorabilia, would be fun to see all the damage that was done. I rang Richmond Football Club last week and they said welcome to the Tigers, I did not get offended as I was seeking some tickets for a game in Melbourne...

Difference is the tigers have always been the tigers, they didn't start as something else, then have to change, then also have a new club take their spot in the old league, with the old emblem and colours, and immediately start claiming sole rights to the history and heritage, and the old original club started to go along with it.

If this saga has taught us anything, it’s that the average eastern seaboard punter completely missed the memo on the One Club merger.

“tHeY’rE tWo CoMpLeTeLy DiFfErEnT cLuBs!”

“ThEy’Re SePaRaTe EnTiTiEs!”

If this saga has taught us anything, it’s that the average eastern seaboard punter completely missed the memo on the One Club merger.

But they wore it celebrating their 150th last year!

My fave is the accusation that we are ‘copying’ Collingwood, like it’s a school test and we’ve peeked over at their answer while they weren’t looking.

At first I thought it was intentional trolling for laughs but some of these people are dead serious. Like the bizarro Essendon fan from Perth going into bat for Collingwood’s brand supremacy. It’s seriously whacko.

My fave is the accusation that we are ‘copying’ Collingwood, like it’s a school test and we’ve peeked over at their answer while they weren’t looking.

At first I thought it was intentional trolling for laughs but some of these people are dead serious. Like the bizarro Essendon fan from Perth going into bat for Collingwood’s brand supremacy. It’s seriously whacko.
I've heard "diet Collingwood". It's a weirdly insecure and narcissistic take. Trickle down Eddienomics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back