Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"it doesn't matter what you wear" wins gold medals in mental gymnastics.

If it didn't matter then why can't we wear our own damn jumper?

I've heard "diet Collingwood". It's a weirdly insecure and narcissistic take. Trickle down Eddienomics.

Reminds me of Victorians who say the current home guernsey rips off the Big V, while Fruchoctopians claim we ripped off the SA state guernsey.

Tom Hanks’ character in The Da Vinci Code would need a lifetime to decipher the subjective observance of our iconography.

If this saga has taught us anything, it’s that the average eastern seaboard punter completely missed the memo on the One Club merger.

“tHeY’rE tWo CoMpLeTeLy DiFfErEnT cLuBs!”

“ThEy’Re SePaRaTe EnTiTiEs!”

Then you got people not knowing the difference between original (blue and white hoops) and traditional (Prison Bars).

Also wear that short lived pink jumper Ports. It’s got real history compared to a 120 year jumper you’ve won 30+ flags in.

Yeah good idea pal.

I would love to see us wearing all the historic jumpers, but there’s an issue we must deal first.

When we secure the right to wear the PB’s, then we can go wild. Not before it. Never before it!

Then you got people not knowing the difference between original (blue and white hoops) and traditional (Prison Bars).

Also wear that short lived pink jumper Ports. It’s got real history compared to a 120 year jumper you’ve won 30+ flags in.

Yeah good idea pal.

Not to mention the underlying homophobia attached to "why not wear your pink one, hey. nudge nudge. wink wink"

Wearing the pink jumper for heritage is like wearing nappies on your birthday.

I'd be all for wearing a version of the pink guernsey in a heritage round, AFTER we've reached the self-determination stage in regards to the black and white prison bars.

I'd be all for wearing a version of the pink guernsey in a heritage round, AFTER we've reached the self-determination stage in regards to the black and white prison bars.
Especially as an FU to those ''hur hur pink is a girls colour" weirdos.

I said the same thing when people were telling me we need to bring back the SBS or whatever away jumper we've had in the past sometimes.

"If you go back to the 18th century, little boys and little girls of the upper classes both wore pink and blue and other colors uniformly," said Valerie Steele, director of the Museum at FIT, the Fashion Institute of Technology, in New York.
In fact, pink was even considered to be a masculine color. In old catalogs and books, pink was the color for little boys, said Leatrice Eiseman, a color expert and executive director of the Pantone Color Institute.

"It was related to the mother color of red, which was ardent and passionate and more active, more aggressive. Even though you reduce the shade level, it was a color that was associated with boys," Eiseman said.

An article titled "Pink or Blue," published in the trade journal The Infants' Department in 1918, said that the generally accepted rule is pink for boys and blue for girls. "The reason is that pink being a decided and stronger color is more suitable for the boy," it said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Ryan talks about this in his column today.
Also this about why Eddie is so opposed to us wearing the PBs;

1619923406834.png

Nick Ryan is one of the more thoughtful journos writing for the Sunday rag. The fact he is also the wine writer may have something to do with that.

But that sentence about ties and corporates taking over the AFL strikes a chord with me. It is a theme also explored by Jake Niall in today's Age:

The eastern seaboard press are painting this battle for Port's right to wear the prison bars in Adelaide Oval showdowns as some sort of battle of the media heavyweights (Koch v McGuire) but they have got it terribly wrong.

The push for the prison bars is being made by supporters of the club, many of whom have been loyal supporters of Port Adelaide for over half a century, many of them having been at Adelaide Oval to see Port Adelaide - in the prison bar jumper - win six consecutive premierships in a row.

These are the same supporters who at the end of 2019 forced their club administrators to make an embarrassing backflip and have just one captain and for that captain to wear the No. 1 jumper.

While most of us love Kochie and his passion for our club I am sure he is in no doubt of what would happen if he did not listen to what we, the members and supporters, want from our club. And that is to respect our proud heritage and history above all else.

Gil McLachlan and the other corporate heavyweight fat cats dining out on the success of the AFL in the comfort of AFL House in the Melbourne CBD should take some time out to consider what happened at Old Trafford this weekend, and the consequences of administrators ignoring the passion of supporters and putting trademarks and revenue above loyalty, tradition and history.

Last edited:
Not to mention the underlying homophobia attached to "why not wear your pink one, hey. nudge nudge. wink wink"

I just love the way this jumper and the blue and white one that proceeded it at the the end of the 19th century are brought out as some sort of argument against the prison bars by those with absolutely no clue.

Given their clear lack of understanding or willingness to learn about history, I won't bother to lecture them on the lack of quality pigments and dyes being available in the fledgling SA colony forcing colour changes that would be more durable for a highly physical game on poorly prepared grounds during the winter months. Discovering those small facts of detail takes a bit of time and effort as is often the case with past history. No surprises then that those willing to slander Port Adelaide with their mistruths about our club's past history just aren't prepared to do the hard work that proper journalism requires. Their passion is for the cheap headline, rather than the less sensational truth.

In any case, the real fact behind the supporter push for prison bars being recognised as our heritage guernsey is that it has been worn by our team since 1902 and there is not one supporter alive today who has seen our mighty club wear anything other than the prison bars prior to us joining the AFL.

But of course, these clowns aren't really interested in facts and the truth when it comes to clubs outside of Victoria, are they?

To them, the value of football history and tradition is something that gets heavily depreciated once you cross the Victorian border. It just doesn't matter.

Last edited:
If this saga has taught us anything, it’s that the average eastern seaboard punter completely missed the memo on the One Club merger.

“tHeY’rE tWo CoMpLeTeLy DiFfErEnT cLuBs!”

“ThEy’Re SePaRaTe EnTiTiEs!”

Fremantle wearing a different club's guernsey

thumbs-up.png

Port wearing the guernsey of 'a different club'

no-one-gets-fired-up-like-eddie-1536465428_1352x900.jpg

(not ed specific, but he embodies them all... actually to some extent he may actually be better, he at least will acknowledge it's the same club)

I grew up with Magpies, the reality for us is we are in the V(AFL) and its different than the past. I keep thinking how do we move forward and create the next Port Adelaide FC domination

It is different with no zones, a draft, recruiting 18+ year olds, etc ... but we can have eras of domination by still being Port Adelaide.

I said the same thing when people were telling me we need to bring back the SBS or whatever away jumper we've had in the past sometimes.

There’s a troubling cohort of our fans who either go with, “forget about the bars, let’s wear this!: *teal chevrons*/*teal lightning*” or wheel out their own horrendous teal prisonbar design on paint, as if they’re the first person to ever hatch the idea.

Send through photos of the memorabilia, would be fun to see all the damage that was done. I rang Richmond Football Club last week and they said welcome to the Tigers, I did not get offended as I was seeking some tickets for a game in Melbourne.

I thought the original board was still there until Duncanson took over, he alone must of went rogue and caused this crippling damage alone.
Most of the directors who were appointed in 1995 were gone by December 2005. We used to have 5 board directors elected by members and 5 appointed by SANFL, nearly all were Port people submitted by the board to the SANFL for their approval. From the annual reports I have, covering pre John James and first year after he left.

2002 Annual Report Board members of Port Adelaide Football Club Limited

Greg Boulton 1995- (member elected at Dec 2002 AGM) ( member elected at Dec 2005 AGM)** left Dec 2008
Philip Arnfield ????? ****************************************** left Dec 2005
Ted Byrt....... 1995- ***************************************** left Dec 2007
Frank Hayter 1999- (member elected at Dec 2004 AGM)************** left Dec 2007
Tony Hobby 1995- ******************************************* left Dec 2008
Robert Hoey 1995- ******************************************* left Dec 2007
Max James.... 2000- (member elected at Dec 2004 AGM)************* left Dec 2007
Ian McLachlan 1995- (member elected at Dec 2002 AGM)************ left Dec 2005
Ric Mollison.... ???? ******************************************* left Dec 2005

George Fiacchi resigned 23/7/02 he was member elected at Dec 2000 AGM
Mark Wightman appointed 12/11/02 - SANFL appointee took Fiacchi's spot, won member election in Dec 2003.
Wightman was a marketing guy. Think he did a lot of the early marketing stuff post 1994 licence win.

2006 Annual Report
Philip Arnfield resigned 17/7/05
Ian Mclachlan resigned 19/12/05
Ric Mollison resigned 19/12/05

Bruce Abernethy appointed 19/12/05 - member elected
Brett Duncanson appointed 19/12/05 - SANFL appointee ( didn't get member elected in Dec 2003 election)

Alex Pannas beat Mark Wightman at Dec 2006 AGM member election

2007 Annual Report
Mark Wightman resigned 18/12/06

Alex Panas member elected and appointed 18/12/06
Michael O'Connor SANFL appointee 18/12/06

Didn't put themselves up for reelection
Max James
Frank Hayter

Member elected at 2007 AGM
Darryl Wakelin
Anthony Toop

2008 Annual Report
Ted Byrt..... resigned 17/12/07
Frank Hayter resigned 17/12/07
Robert Hoey resigned 17/12/07
Max James resigned 17/12/07

Anthony Toop appointed 17/12/07 member elected
Darryl Wakelin appointed 17/12/07 member elected
David Basheer appointed 17/12/07 SANFL appointed
John Hood..... appointed 17/12/07 SANFL appointed

2009 Annual Report
Greg Boulton resigned 15/12/08
Tony Hobby resigned 15/12/08

So between September 2005 and Christmas 2008 all 10 directors had left Port's board. At least 5 were original 1995 directors. I can't find any info but IIRC Philip Arnfield was appointed 1995 but Ric Mollison wasn't.

In 2009 the rules were changed and it became 4 member elected + 4 SANFL appointed directors and the board could recommend 2 experts to SANFL to appoint. In early 2010 Nick House and Jane Jeffreys were appointed to those 2 vacant positions. The 8 Board members at 2009 AGM were;
Duncanson, Abernethy, Basheer, Hood, O'Connor, Panas, Toop and Wakelin.

My fave is the accusation that we are ‘copying’ Collingwood, like it’s a school test and we’ve peeked over at their answer while they weren’t looking.

At first I thought it was intentional trolling for laughs but some of these people are dead serious. Like the bizarro Essendon fan from Perth going into bat for Collingwood’s brand supremacy. It’s seriously whacko.

Like designers spending all their time on Pinterest!

Yep it would’ve been this version, which is also badass.

View attachment 1117556
An amazing guernsey. One that the AFL didn't let us wear in 2014 to celebrate the Champions of Australia 100th anniversary, yet later that year they let us wear the PBs in the final against Richmond.

It's just so ******* farcical and tiresome. * this Victorian league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back