Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Imhotep

Team Captain
Mar 10, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'm just expressing my opinion that it would actually be a good thing for your club for the issue to go away, and the sooner the better.
And lose one of the few things that keeps us relevant in the media and creates an us vs them mentality within the club and supporter base, it goes away when we win otherwise we use it to generate the wheel of media exposure we lack and turn the PBs into the hottest item in the game.

I'm just expressing my opinion that it would actually be a good thing for your club for the issue to go away, and the sooner the better.

genuinely no offence intended and not playing the man instead of the ball, just a fact: this is a "losers mentality" as opposed to ours which is inherently a winning mentality, i think that's what your confusion boils down to, simply the inability to understand how to think to excel and get what you want. this line and "who cares if you can't use your traditions, just make up new ones and they'll become old eventually" both sum the mentality up.

What issue? That Collingwood can dictate what the AFL do because they aren't good enough to do it themselves?

We aren't asking to wear this every week. It isn't going away and its just like Brisbane are allowed to wear the Fitzroy jumper a few times a year, basically the same colours as Adelaide and the Gold Coast the world doesn't stop.

Port Adelaide was a national team before there was a national league. We did our fair share playing all over the country promoting the game, wearing our traditional strip before WWI, before WWII and after it. If the custodian of the game can't accept that and that we should be allowed to acknowledge that history, then all history should be ignored by the AFL. All of it!

Its like saying on ANZAC Day, forget about the past, forget about Gallipoli, forget about the Somme, forget about Passchendaele etc, move forward, cliche on and only worry about Afghanistan and the next war.

Last edited:

It's exactly the opposite of this.

This issue has galvanised our supporter base, not divided it as the naysayers would have you believe.

The Eddie, the AFL, and Collingwood have only ensured that this galvanising continues and that the 'us-against-the-rest' attitude just gets stronger and more potent.

We'll never give up on this.

Gremio? Were you a rusted on wharfie Port fan in your past life? 😂
Grem was a rivet in a pylon on the wharf.

He has been resurrected to stand tall in our new Museum.

Jun 7, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Spoke to my 80+ year old mother today.
She became a great grandmother for the first time last week (not my grandchild, my brothers).

She proudly told me how she went to Alberton to pick up some presents for the young one before popping in to visit him for the first time.
That was her priority, bringing her first great grandchild something Port Adelaide.

----

Just try and take that away from us, just ******* try.
I'll use my last breath to preserve it, on her behalf and my own.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I don’t get how they don’t get it.

It seems so easy to understand.

They don’t want to understand. To admit we have claim to the guernsey and our history is an admittance that we are the most successful senior club in the country, which makes their club pale in significance, as opposed to the interstate raiders who are there to make up the numbers, bring in money and know their place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after all this, will the AFL bring back heritage round every year? Something tells me the blatant collusion between Eddie and Gil and the intimidate and subsequent 14 years of no heritage rounds wasn't by accident.

Jun 6, 2000
West Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woomera Centrals, Jazza
So after all this, will the AFL bring back heritage round every year? Something tells me the blatant collusion between Eddie and Gil and the intimidate and subsequent 14 years of no heritage rounds wasn't by accident.

SUNS and GWS have zero heritage though, so unless they played each other that round it wouldn't be fair. Bwahahaha.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
SUNS and GWS have zero heritage though, so unless they played each other that round it wouldn't be fair. Bwahahaha.
Actually as "clubs" created completely by the AFL the Sun's and GWS have the combined heritage of all the AFL clubs that existed at the time of their creation and therefore should both wear the AFL representative guernsey in all heritage rounds, even when playing each other.

1620193889095.png

This is the idea I had for a heritage round in 2016

Mar 1, 2014
parallel universe
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I recognise that this won't be a popular opinion but just wanted to say that I think it is actually a good thing for Port that the AFL ruled against the Prison Bar guernsey for the showdown.

The reality of the situation is that Collingwood has the black and white stripe jumper rights for the AFL because they were part of that league first. This is a situation that is never going to change, so constantly revisiting the situation just keeps ripping the scab of that wound and stops your club and supporters from moving on properly.

To put things in perspective. Collingwood actually wanted to wear red, white, and blue way back when they joined the VFA, because they were the colours of their predecessor club (which I think was called Britannia), but they couldn't because Footscray already had red, white, and blue in that competition. To Collingwood's credit they obviously changed their colours and moved on. I think it is time Port Adelaide Power did the same.

The old jumpers are still on display weekly in the SANFL, and they will probably get occasional runs during AFL heritage theme rounds again in the future. That will hopefully be some consolation to the traditionalists.

But the most important consolation should be that you have a strong club in the national league. No other SANFL club has that, I'm sure many other clubs/supporters would have happily changed their jumper and colours more than slightly for such an outcome.

My own club changed it's trading name, to broaden its appeal to surrounding suburbs, which I didn't like but am OK with because I still have a club in the national league, which is obviously the most important thing.

If you can't keep your old traditions going exactly as they were, adjust them accordingly, they will become old traditions again soon enough.
You changed your trading name but you still show respect to your history even if it's in a small way.
We also want to show respect to our history even if it's in a small way.
FFC.JPG

Apr 2, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You probably coped a fair whack by all the members here for your opinion by now, however it demonstrates the lack of understanding that VFL based clubs have in regards to the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Let us remind you that we are the only expansion club in the AFL that was already established prior to our ascension. We are recognised as one of the oldest and most successful football clubs in the country. That history does not disappear as soon as we entered the AFL in 1997 and whoever denies this fact is simply trolling.

Sure we have had many variations of our gurnsey during our history however the PB is still our longest serving and most revered guernsey to date. We should have right to wear that strip under any circumstance we choose but we do understand our situation in the AFL & Collingwood.

At the start of this campaign, we respectfully requested to wear the strip in a state based environment with a limited national exposure. However the lack of response from the AFL then the subsequent rejection has angered all officials, fans & members of this proud club.

If this topic bores the AFL public, then too bad as this matter will never die until some compromise is reached. As long as the PAFC is in the AFL, this battle is never over.

1620202635461.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back