timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
When was it the last year we could bring alcohol into the grounds like the mcg
I am asking was say circa 1990 let’s say
But does anyone know exactly more particular for the footy

Very nice memories of mum packing the esky for Dad and my sibling and I to go watch SAINTERS down at Moorabbin Oval, tinnies, hot coffee in the thermons, and a little cheeky brown stuff too.
And a pack of 20 Peter Jackson Super Mild if you don't mind!!!!!

"good ol' days" when you could have an open tinnie next to you on the drive back home down Wickham road.
Nanny state we live in.

Very nice memories of mum packing the esky for Dad and my sibling and I to go watch SAINTERS down at Moorabbin Oval, tinnies, hot coffee in the thermons, and a little cheeky brown stuff too.

"good ol' days" when you could have an open tinnie next to you on the drive back home down Wickham road.
Nanny state we live in.
I used to head to Moorabbin in the late 80's early 90's with my Saints supporting mates, I think it was open slather in the late 80's, by the early nineties it was 2 open cans at a time, which after watching under 19's, reserves and seniors was enough alcohol to enable you to drunkenly climb out of the cesspit that was the animal enclosure up into the St Kilda members area and spend the evening at the Saints night club, fun days.

Got a feeling it was early 1990s like when the AFL in its early days and like early times of sanatising the environment.

Thinking 1992 for the blanket ban.

I know 1990 you could still bring in beers i think it was a 6 pack each.

1992 for mine.

Nanny state we live in.

It's not "nanny state", it's just the ruthless pursuit of profit. They worked out they could sell catering rights.

As for drink driving, well, it killed people. So i think it's a fair trade off - you can't have a can for a few minutes and somebody else doesn't lose their mum/dad/kid to a drunk driver.

I remember the sale/possession of cans at Victoria Park was banned in the early 1990s after a spectator threw a VB can on the field which narrowly missed a West Coast Eagles player's head. This ban has almost come full circle now as alcohol in cans is once again being sold at the MCG due to environmental concerns about plastic.

I recall reading it was around 1980.

Someone either died or nearly died at Princes Park around that time which was the catalyst for the ban.

My question would be - when did they stop selling heavy beer at the MCG for night games?

According to wiki (not the most reliable source i know), BYO alcohol was banned from 4 May 1982, and from the same date a two can limit came in.

It's fairly widely known, but in the mid 70's alcohol limits came in at the cricket- each patron was limited to bringing in 24 cans!

Last edited:
I recall reading it was around 1980.

Someone either died or nearly died at Princes Park around that time which was the catalyst for the ban.

My question would be - when did they stop selling heavy beer at the MCG for night games?
If you have enough cash for the Harrison room etc you can get what ever you want, AFL cant have the riff raff drinking full strength alcohol, as we are all violent drunks apparently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to wiki (not the most reliable source i know), BYO alcohol was banned from 4 May 1992, and from the same date a two can limit came in.

It's fairly widely known, but in the mid 70's alcohol limits came in at the cricket- each patron was limited to bringing in 24 cans!
One foam eskie full of ice and beer each, we must have contributed heavily to the World plastic problems with all those smashed foam eskies.

Nanny state we live in.
Why can't we drink drive - "Nanny state".

Mr Peanut GIF by Party Legends

Why can't we drink drive
It's ridiculous.

As long as you're under the legal BAC you should be able to have a nice VB while you're listening to Triple M on the drive home. No different at all from a having a can of coke-a-cola, it's probably healthier for you too.

Edit: Can't even crack a beer on the train in anymore. Not only that, if you have skin colour like mine and get caught quenching your thirst on the Flinders St Express, there's a very good chance you're gonna have a night in a cell and even end up dead.

But, no, it's not nanny state. Please officer tell me when and where I can have a beer, thank you officer!!!

Last edited:
It's ridiculous.

As long as you're under the legal BAC you should be able to have a nice VB while you're listening to Triple M on the drive home. No different at all from a having a can of coke-a-cola, it's probably healthier for you too.

Edit: Can't even crack a beer on the train in anymore. Not only that, if you have skin colour like mine and get caught quenching your thirst on the Flinders St Express, there's a very good chance you're gonna have a night in a cell and even end up dead.

But, no, it's not nanny state. Please officer tell me when and where I can have a beer, thank you officer!!!
Your post was your father drinking an esky of beer plus spirits at the footy, then having a beer while driving home. That's killed a lot of people. If a "Nanny State" keeps your drunk father off the road, I'm ok with that.

Your post was your father drinking an esky of beer plus spirits at the footy
Nah, you just went off "half-cocked" like the total moron that you are.

For future references, eskies can hold food and are also useful for keeping fruit juice nice and cool too :thumbsu:
Mum always packed a few treats for the kids!!!

yeah why do not they sell full strength beers for might games anymore and instead have this watered down version of 4 pines instead.

Love carlton draft in the outer especailly night games.

Nothing like a cool crisp night at the mcg with a heavy beer.

To me the pre mix cans are just soft drinks with alcohol in it and fiz me up too much.

Always go for carlton draft where possible.

I think yes mid 1980s but wasnt fully enforced of the blanket ban of byo grog until 1992.

Was when the AFL was trying to establish themselves as a clean game and early days of the game becoming an avenue to making profits out of.

What was your trick of the trades when it came to drinking at the footy.

If your sneaking grog into the footy, you have a problem.
Yeah I got a big problem missing 20 the football match I paid to see every time I feel a little thirst come on.
Finals last year, goddamn. 20 minutes+ in a queue and they didn't even have the footy on, they were showing bloody horse racing.
* that.

It's ridiculous.

Because while you may have the control to have one tinny on your drive home, others will have plenty more. To throw the "nanny state" blanket over the banning drinking while driving is embarrassingly naïve.

And no, Coca-Cola is not the same as full strength beer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back