List Mgmt. Bringing them home! - Updated 14/Jun/2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Any other targets for next year?
Jeremy McGovern. Considering his dad played for us and hates the Eagles I think you could consider us recruiting him as 'bring him home.' I've been told by a few different people who know Andrew McGovern through him and his kids school days that apparently Andrew wants his boys to both play for Freo before their career finishes. It might just be me but I think Jeremy can be just as good forward as he is in defence with his marking if he played forward regularly. He is a restricted free agent so our offer would have to be huge, but in my view one good key forward is the only thing we are lacking so we could throw the kitchen sink at him next year. Also, with so many first year players on our list our and a few likely retirees at the end of the year our salary cap position would allow us to make an offer where the Eagles would be tempted to not match (compo Band 1) and perhaps we could get him without having to trade. If they did match the offer then we could still make a ridiculous offer at the trade table like two first round draft picks and player. I think it is worth considering when look at how good a Freo team would look like if we could recruit one of McGovern or Hogan so it could be a year to offer a deal with massive trade currency for the player we need. Peter Wright is another player we could throw the kitchen sink at with a giant offer to see if he wants to come over and spearhead an attack, rather than playing second fiddle to Lynch.

A 2020 team of (the below) would be competing for top 4 in my view. The only type of player we lack(in terms of our list in 2020 if no player leaves) for the next few years is a tall high marking goal kicker. If one of Dixon, A.Pearce, Apeness, Tabs or Cox could emerge as a star forward than I dont think we lack anything.
B: Wilson Hamling Logue
HB: Ryan A.Perace Hughes
C: B.Hill Fyfe S.Hill
R: Darcy Brayshaw Bennell
HF: Cerra McCarthy Walters
FF: Crowden Mcgovern/Hogan/Wright Cox
I/C Neale, Carter, Tucker, Blakely
EM: Langdon, Dixon, Matera

Last edited:
Jeremy McGovern. Considering his dad played for us and hates the Eagles I think you could consider us recruiting him as 'bring him home.' I've been told by a few different people who know Andrew McGovern through him and his kids school days that apparently Andrew wants his boys to both play for Freo before their career finishes. It might just be me but I think Jeremy can be just as good forward as he is in defence with his marking if he played forward regularly. He is a restricted free agent so our offer would have to be huge, but in my view one good key forward is the only thing we are lacking so we could throw the kitchen sink at him next year. Also, with so many first year players on our list our and a few likely retirees at the end of the year our salary cap position would allow us to make an offer where the Eagles would be tempted to not match (compo Band 1) and perhaps we could get him without having to trade. If they did match the offer then we could still make a ridiculous offer at the trade table like two first round draft picks and player. I think it is worth considering when look at how good a Freo team would look like if we could recruit one of McGovern or Hogan so it could be a year to offer a deal with massive trade currency for the player we need. Peter Wright is another player we could throw the kitchen sink at with a giant offer to see if he wants to come over and spearhead an attack, rather than playing second fiddle to Lynch.

A 2020 team of (the below) would be competing for top 4 in my view. The only type of player we lack(in terms of our list in 2020 if no player leaves) for the next few years is a tall high marking goal kicker. If one of Dixon, A.Pearce, Apeness, Tabs or Cox could emerge as a star forward than I dont think we lack anything.
B: Wilson Hamling Logue
HB: Ryan A.Perace Hughes
C: B.Hill Fyfe S.Hill
R: Darcy Brayshaw Bennell
HF: Cerra McCarthy Walters
FF: Crowden Mcgovern/Hogan/Wright Cox
I/C Neale, Carter, Tucker, Blakely
EM: Langdon, Dixon, Matera
Your dreaming if you think Hogan McGovern and Fyfe all can sit in the same salary cap

Reckon we should take a look at how Aliir Aliir goes this season. Alex Pearce is only now coming back off of his two years of injuries and we have no idea how good or bad he could turn out from it. Brennan Cox looks the stuff in the forward line and could we be wasting potential on him by making him a key back when a good key forward could be good? Maybe, or maybe I'm crazy. Our next best place to look would be in Marcus Adams in 2020 or if we could somehow get Rance next year (doubt it) or look outside of WA, which the recruiting team doesn't seem to be doing.

Just a thought

Reckon we should take a look at how Aliir Aliir goes this season. Alex Pearce is only now coming back off of his two years of injuries and we have no idea how good or bad he could turn out from it. Brennan Cox looks the stuff in the forward line and could we be wasting potential on him by making him a key back when a good key forward could be good? Maybe, or maybe I'm crazy. Our next best place to look would be in Marcus Adams in 2020 or if we could somehow get Rance next year (doubt it) or look outside of WA, which the recruiting team doesn't seem to be doing.

Just a thought
Hold that thought..

Neville Jetta is a free agent we will look at I think. I can see Ethan Hughes being moved into the midfield in 2019 with his athletic attributes and size to allow Fyfe more time forward. A look down small defender who uses the football well might be pretty handy. With a back six of Jetta, Logue, Ryan, Wilson, Hamling and either Cox or Alex Pearce ( I think Alex Pearce might yet be turned into a forward and Cox a defender) and then Blakely rotating half back on ball our defence would be very well balanced. Jetta could be an astute pick up and with some likely retirees combined with having a lot of players on rookie contracts we should be in a wonderful position with our salary cap for season 2019.

Neville Jetta is a free agent we will look at I think. I can see Ethan Hughes being moved into the midfield in 2019 with his athletic attributes and size to allow Fyfe more time forward. A look down small defender who uses the football well might be pretty handy. With a back six of Jetta, Logue, Ryan, Wilson, Hamling and either Cox or Alex Pearce ( I think Alex Pearce might yet be turned into a forward and Cox a defender) and then Blakely rotating half back on ball our defence would be very well balanced. Jetta could be an astute pick up and with some likely retirees combined with having a lot of players on rookie contracts we should be in a wonderful position with our salary cap for season 2019.

Alex Pearce for the millionth time won't ever be the forward you want him to be. He doesn't have the penetrating accurate kick he needs to kick goals

Robbing Peter to try and pay for Paul

Alex Pearce for the millionth time won't ever be the forward you want him to be. He doesn't have the penetrating accurate kick he needs to kick goals

Robbing Peter to try and pay for Paul
No problem with people who dsagree, but all Im saying is long-term Alex could be an excellent forward that's all. The lack of penetration he had in his kicking the last time he played forward in his first year had everything to do with the fact he grew 20cm the year before in my opinion, which would play havoc with his timing. His junior coach at the Burnie Dockers also described him as a natural forward who could play back. Even the last time I saw him at training (his first one back) he kicking seemed much improved.

Last edited:
I'd love Jetta because he is gun (absolutely robbed of AA IMO) but I am not sure Hughes is a midfielder (but can see the argument to at least try him there), I don't think Fyfe should spend any more time as a permanent forward and I agree with jedi mind tricks that Pearce is a defender.

FTR I see no more than a 10% chance that Jetta leaves but would be stoked with him if he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love Jetta because he is gun (absolutely robbed of AA IMO) but I am not sure Hughes is a midfielder (but can see the argument to at least try him there), I don't think Fyfe should spend any more time as a permanent forward and I agree with jedi mind tricks that Pearce is a defender.

FTR I see no more than a 10% chance that Jetta leaves but would be stoked with him if he did.
Time will tell on Alex Pearce's playing as a defender or a forward. I can personally see him having more value as a forward with his speed on the lead and predict Cox will far better defender than forward in his prime years, but I have no problems with those who disagree. Way to early in his career to pigeon whole A.Pearce him as a defender, particularly as I would be very surprised if his kicking hasn't improved a ton since his last AFL game simply because he has had more time adjusting to kicking the football as a 200cm person. Luke Mcpharlin ironically spent most of his first two years or so on Hawthorn's list (when not injured) playing forward not defence. Sometimes positional changes work out well.

I also think Fyfe will spend a lot more time forward than most here anticipate next season. Im in the minority but Id like to see him play 30% of the time starting forward, rather than in the midfield and pushing forward. In the year before he did his leg for the second time he kicked 9 goals in 5 games (including the one he broke the leg). If I remember right nearly all of those goals were kicked from a staring position in the forward line. I think that playing him forward more will have the benefit of him improving his goal scoring output to around two goals a game, while at the same time allowing him to run out games better.

Hughes as a midfielder is definitely worth considering. He actually shares many similar physical attributes to a fit Mora and in a year or two Ethan could be the tall powerful super quick mid that would round out our midfield group nicely.

Last edited:
Hughes as a midfielder is definitely worth considering. He actually shares many similar physical attributes to a fit Mora and in a year or two Ethan could be the tall powerful super quick mid that would round out our midfield group nicely.
The player on our list that he most resembles athletically in power, speed, agility etc is Nathan Fyfe.

Time will tell on Alex Pearce's playing as a defender or a forward. I can personally see him having more value as a forward with his speed on the lead and predict Cox will far better defender than forward in his prime years, but I have no problems with those who disagree. Way to early in his career to pigeon whole A.Pearce him as a defender, particularly as I would be very surprised if his kicking hasn't improved a ton since his last AFL game simply because he has had more time adjusting to kicking the football as a 200cm person. Luke Mcpharlin ironically spent most of his first two years or so on Hawthorn's list (when not injured) playing forward not defence. Sometimes positional changes work out well.

I also think Fyfe will spend a lot more time forward than most here anticipate next season. Im in the minority but Id like to see him play 30% of the time starting forward, rather than in the midfield and pushing forward. In the year before he did his leg for the second time he kicked 9 goals in 5 games (including the one he broke the leg). If I remember right nearly all of those goals were kicked from a staring position in the forward line. I think that playing him forward more will have the benefit of him improving his goal scoring output to around two goals a game, while at the same time allowing him to run out games better.

Yeah happy to disagree. Pearce looks like a natural defender to me and a competent forward.

IMO Fyfe's value as a mid >> forward. He also does his best forward work drifting in the side of packs and when not stationed on defender no1 IMO, which he will get if permanently forward. He does occasionally start forward but I don't want to see him doing that more often simply because he is basically the best inside mid in the league and probably not even top 10 as a permanent forward.

Hughes is hard to tell because he hasn't spent any time in the guts. Would be happy to give it a go but I also think he looks natural down back so I am not remotely bothered if he stays there.

IMO Fyfe's value as a mid >> forward. He also does his best forward work drifting in the side of packs and when not stationed on defender no1 IMO, which he will get if permanently forward. He does occasionally start forward but I don't want to see him doing that more often simply because he is basically the best inside mid in the league and probably not even top 10 as a permanent forward.

+1

Some of Fyfe's highlights will have some beautiful aerial marks up forward, followed up by (semi, sorta, often) a goal. But he won a Brownlow as a midfielder, he'd be behind a lot of other forwards - even if they had a decent chance at winning it. Competent forward, dazzling midfielder - fair to say though, if he'd spent his career as a forward, it would have improved on the glimpses that we currently see.

If we had 2xFyfe's, then sure, play one up forward. That being said, as opposed to the footy I grew up with where players didn't interchange much between positions, he'll rest up there probably more than ever. Particularly as Walters is a great forward - but probably an even better midfielder, which robs us of forward leadership with the more midfield time Walters spends, some Fyfe time up forward will be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back