List Mgmt. Bringing them home! - Updated 14/Jun/2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Gold Coast have 4 2nd rounders and we don't have any.

Would we consider giving up our 2018 first?

Something like 2018 first for Matera, Schofeld and one of their 2nd rounders? I mean would they even consider this? Am I one eyed? Are we selling the future? Hard to see how we could get a draft pick to suit them for 2017 and they simply wouldn't want it if below a 2nd round anyway... which we don't have.

You'd hope we finished close to finals, so say we finished 10th in 2018. Essentially we're giving up 2018 pick 8 for Matera, Schofeld and say 2017 pick 24.

Very hard to see how else we generate anything worthy unless we get some currency from our own youngsters who may want out.

Obviously a future 2nd for Matera on its own is probably right on the money, but I also think Freo will need to create more bang for their buck on this one and trying to re-enter the second round for 2017 would also be a priority.
Schofeld?

Do you mean Josh Schoenfeld?
He's shown nothing, except speed from his pre-draft testing.

Can someone please explain the McGovern obsession to me. Sure, seems like a good natural footballer, knows where the goals are. But is 191 or so and plays third tall in the most talented forward line in the AFL behind Walker (195) and jenkins (199) with also Lynch (191) also attracting a good forward if they all play. Plus, their opp is constantly stressed by Eddie picking up the ground ball and working miracle goals.

So how is another 191cm player going to solve our forward line woes? Obviously Tabs is not getting a game under Ross. Apes is usually injured. Cox is still a teen. Then we would have Fyfe, Mundy, Kersten, McCarthy, McGovern all at about 191 floating through the forward line with most opps having a 195-200 defender or two whom they would have to compete with. Sure, if he wants to come to Freo and doesn't cost too much, happy to have him. But comments to give our potential top 5 pick or drop down the draft order for him from that #6 or so - that seems like extreme overs for me? Can anyone explain what I am missing?

Schofeld?

Do you mean Josh Schoenfeld?
He's shown nothing, except speed from his pre-draft testing.

Yep I get that. Didn't say he'd be a good get. Just he's out of contract, peel boy and may be steak knives.

If we're moving on 7-8 players we'll need to get guys in from somewhere. We won't be able to bring in 3-4 quality players with no leverage.

Can someone please explain the McGovern obsession to me. Sure, seems like a good natural footballer, knows where the goals are. But is 191 or so and plays third tall in the most talented forward line in the AFL behind Walker (195) and jenkins (199) with also Lynch (191) also attracting a good forward if they all play. Plus, their opp is constantly stressed by Eddie picking up the ground ball and working miracle goals.

So how is another 191cm player going to solve our forward line woes? Obviously Tabs is not getting a game under Ross. Apes is usually injured. Cox is still a teen. Then we would have Fyfe, Mundy, Kersten, McCarthy, McGovern all at about 191 floating through the forward line with most opps having a 195-200 defender or two whom they would have to compete with. Sure, if he wants to come to Freo and doesn't cost too much, happy to have him. But comments to give our potential top 5 pick or drop down the draft order for him from that #6 or so - that seems like extreme overs for me? Can anyone explain what I am missing?
No you nailed it. It is an emotional reaction from our fans because his dad played for us, we didn't pick him up, is a natural footballer that takes contested marks and looks good playing the 4th/5th string (if you include Eddy) in the best forward line in the comp.

I am 100% sure that if he was playing for us this year, most would be calling him a spud as he would do no better than Cam. Not our first or second priority, but I am sure we would all like him at the right price.

I'm with you buddy, but here's how it plays out for the masses:

Mitch McGovern hasn't signed up. Oh well let him go to West Coast with his bro... he isn't really what we need. Hang on... his name's McGovern and he's younger then Jeremy... maybe he'll become more of a gun. We should probably test the waters. Plus we messed up with Jeremy and them having the same surname is a clear sign that we just need to get this guy... can't make the same error.

Just realised he doesn't even like West Coast... we're a chance.

Oh bloody hell. West Coast article about how Mitch could join his brother. We can't let this opportunity slip, get it done Bondy.

I just saw McGovern shank 2 kicks on the weekend, but he has sticky hands and although he's 22 years old and listed at 191cm he could still grow couldn't he? Just need to go hard at him now.

I'd be happy to give up pick 5 for him and in return receive Adelaide's first. Probably unders from us, but if he insists he wants out of Adelaide then they won't receive better.

That's pretty much the mindset of 98% of Freo supporters and people in general. We create our own mania and fear of missing out. It's what drives stock prices up and in it's most recent example led to children across our nation spinning stupid fidget spinners endlessly for hours.

Mitch McGovern is 'hot property' only because of the circumstances and mania created with 2 WA teams and his brother Jeremy.

What's he worth? In a non mania filled world. An early 3rd rounder or late 2nd at absolute best. A pick around 30-40. When the mania begins? Well it's started and it would take us finding a 2nd rounder at around pick 24 to be in discussions. If West Coast join the mania? Well all of a sudden you're looking at him being valued as a top 15 pick (however that gets done - not necessarily pick 15 itself).

As always if a player nominates one club, then the mania ceases to exist from the buyers point of view. The seller will try to ramp up his price, but usually a deal will get done.

Is McGovern a fidget spinner? An exciting enticing selection that turns out to be nothing other then mild amusement and gathers dust OR does he have more substance? Like Netflix! provides mildly interesting and convenient comforts, but not exactly like heading out to the cinemas.

Let's hope we don't pay 'Gold Class'.

Last edited:
No you nailed it. It is an emotional reaction from our fans because his dad played for us, we didn't pick him up, is a natural footballer that takes contested marks and looks good playing the 4th/5th string (if you include Eddy) in the best forward line in the comp.

I am 100% sure that if he was playing for us this year, most would be calling him a spud as he would do no better than Cam. Not our first or second priority, but I am sure we would all like him at the right price.

You probably summed up better then me, but congrats, you're in the 2% of Freo supporters that can see through the mania!

I'm with you buddy, but here's how it plays out for the masses:

Mitch McGovern hasn't signed up. Oh well let him go to West Coast with his bro... he isn't really what we need. Hang on... his name's McGovern and he's younger then Jeremy... maybe he'll become more of a gun. We should probably test the waters. Plus we messed up with Jeremy and them having the same surname is a clear sign that we just need to get this guy... can't make the same error.

Just realised he doesn't even like West Coast... we're a chance.

Oh bloody hell. West Coast article about how Mitch could join his brother. We can't let this opportunity slip, get it done Bondy.

I just saw McGovern shank 2 kicks on the weekend, but he has sticky hands and although he's 22 years old and listed at 191cm he could still grow couldn't he? Just need to go hard at him now.

I'd be happy to give up pick 5 for him and in return receive Adelaide's first. Probably unders from us, but if he insists he wants out of Adelaide then they won't receive better.

That's pretty much the mindset of 98% of Freo supporters and people in general. We create our own mania and fear of missing out. It's what drives stock prices up and in it's most recent example led to children across our nation spinning stupid fidget spinners endlessly for hours.

Mitch McGovern is 'hot property' only because of the circumstances and mania created with 2 WA teams and his brother Jeremy.

What's he worth? In a non mania filled world. An early 3rd rounder or late 2nd at absolute best. A pick around 30-40. When the mania begins? Well it's started and it would take us finding a 2nd rounder at around pick 24 to be in discussions. If West Coast join the mania? Well all of a sudden you're looking at him being valued as a top 15 pick (however that gets done - not necessarily pick 15 itself).

As always if a player nominates one club, then the mania ceases to exist from the buyers point of view. The seller will try to ramp up his price, but usually a deal will get done.

Is McGovern a fidget spinner? An exciting enticing selection that turns out to be nothing other then mild amusement and gathers dust OR does he have more substance? Like Netflix! provides mildly interesting and convenient comforts, but not exactly like heading out to the cinemas.

Let's home we don't pay 'Gold Class'.
You are underrating Mitch a tad here, sure he is no Jeremy but damn he is gonna be a player.

The only angle where we shouldn't be after him is the "he isn't a true key forward angle" which is fair enough

Not some silly "we are gonna miss out" angle

You are underrating Mitch a tad here, sure he is no Jeremy but damn he is gonna be a player.

The only angle where we shouldn't be after him is the "he isn't a true key forward angle" which is fair enough

AND you're in the 98% haha.

Didn't say he wouldn't be a fine player.

But my non mania filled glasses have said he's worth about pick 30-40.

Where do you value him in regards to draft pick range?

Would I like him at Freo? Well yes, like everyone else. My fear is we are creating a buzz about him? For what? He plays 4th tall at Adelaide. If Cox played 4th tall at Adelaide he could do reasonably well too. Once that buzz is created it's incredibly easy to overvalue and create bizarre scenarios in trying to secure him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm in the 98% mania but probably the last word someone would use to describe me. I do think Mitch McGovern has a bit to work with.

But I agree we should only get him at the right price. Whilst he is the same height as Kersten from what I have seen is a very different player. Kersten's best work with Geelong was lead-up and then running back towards goal in space. Whereas Mitch has sticky hands. What I have seen with Kersten at Freo is that he is next to useless as a stay at home FF.

Ideally we could get Sam Reid as a FA as he is still only 25/26 years old. But likelihood is that won't happen.

Picking up Mitch with an equivalent pick value of 26-32 would be about fair and a good acquisition. I'm on the record stating I'm not at all keen on downgrading pick 5 or so down to 16/17. Just madness. If the right and fair trade can't be done then move on. WCE can trade overs for him or otherwise let him re-sign with Adelaide.

It was reported in media circles that Freo met with Mitch and his Management whilst in Adelaide at the time of the 90 point debacle that was 2-weeks prior to our bye. So we are interested fact.

I don't care about the he doesn't like WCE or his dad played for Freo...but yes he would be more than handy acquisition I believe.

Last edited:

I don't think anyone was unhappy at getting Mitch for a pick somewhere around 25-35. I think many (definitely me) were avidly against using our first pick in any form of downgrade to get him.

I certainly never said he wasn't talented, just that he is not pick ~5 talented. I think he is a great addition at the right price.

I'm in the 2% mania but probably the last word someone would use to describe me. I do think Mitch McGovern has a bit to work with.

But I agree we should only get him at the right price. Whilst he is the same height as Kersten from what I have seen is a very different player. Kersten's best work with Geelong was lead-up and then running back towards goal in space. Whereas Mitch has sticky hands. What I have seen with Kersten at Freo is that he is next to useless as a stay at home FF.

Ideally we could get Sam Reid as a FA as he is still only 25/26 years old. But likelihood is that won't happen.

Picking up Mitch with an equivalent pick value of 26-32 would be about fair and a good acquisition. I'm on the record stating I'm not at all keen on downgrading pick 5 or so down to 16/17. Just madness. If the right and fair trade can't be done then move on. WCE can trade overs for him or otherwise let him re-sign with Adelaide.

It was reported in media circles that Freo met with Mitch and his Management whilst in Adelaide at the time of the 90 point debacle that was 2-weeks prior to our bye. So we are interested fact.

I don't care about the he doesn't like WCE or his dad played for Freo...but yes he would be more than handy acquisition I believe.
Reid would cost an awful lot (wages) for someone so inconsistent. His best is amazing, but his normal output is not so much. I think we need to hit the draft and not try and hail mary a trade/FA KPF. It has never worked before so you wouldn't think it would now.

AND you're in the 98% haha.

Didn't say he wouldn't be a fine player.

But my non mania filled glasses have said he's worth about pick 30-40.

Where do you value him in regards to draft pick range?

Would I like him at Freo? Well yes, like everyone else. My fear is we are creating a buzz about him? For what? He plays 4th tall at Adelaide. If Cox played 4th tall at Adelaide he could do reasonably well too. Once that buzz is created it's incredibly easy to overvalue and create bizarre scenarios in trying to secure him.
So you are saying that Adelaide developing Mcgovern for 2 years who was picked at ~43 would ship him off for pick 30-40?
No chance man, he is worth as much as Gunston was which is an early second/late first and this price was pushed down due to being OOC (albeit like Mcgovern)

I think its very unrealistic to think that after establishing himself in the team as the 3rd tall (in one of the top 3 sides) Walker - Jenkins - mcgovern (Lynch plays very high half forward/wing) that he has only risen in value by 3-13 draft picks

100% think he is worth atleast Gunston picks and may be pushed up if he will go to either Eagles or Freo and a bidding war ensues. Hawks did get lucky that Gunston practically chose them (although I think Mcgovern will atleast choose us)

So you are saying that Adelaide developing Mcgovern for 2 years who was picked at ~43 would ship him off for pick 30-40?
No chance man, he is worth as much as Gunston was which is an early second/late first and this price was pushed down due to being OOC (albeit like Mcgovern)

I think its very unrealistic to think that after establishing himself in the team as the 3rd tall (in one of the top 3 sides) Walker - Jenkins - mcgovern (Lynch plays very high half forward/wing) that he has only risen in value by 3-13 draft picks

100% think he is worth atleast Gunston picks and may be pushed up if he will go to either Eagles or Freo and a bidding war ensues. Hawks did get lucky that Gunston practically chose them (although I think Mcgovern will atleast choose us)

Didn't say any of that.

I said he's worth about pick 30-40 IMO. Obviously Adelaide will want much more for him, but if we lure him with say pick 20... well IMO we'd have paid overs.

Plus it's much easier to play as a 3rd or 4th tall in a team that has genuine superstar talls ahead of you. Him playing behind Tex and Jenkins with Lynch also a tall is much easier then what he'll do at our club.

He will 100% be another McCarthy/Kersten type. We'll have 3 forwards all very similar with no one able to take over a game.

If Kersten played at Adeliade I'd have no doubt he'd kick a couple a game too.

Didn't say any of that.

I said he's worth about pick 30-40 IMO. Obviously Adelaide will want much more for him, but if we lure him with say pick 20... well IMO we'd have paid overs.

Plus it's much easier to play as a 3rd or 4th tall in a team that has genuine superstar talls ahead of you. Him playing behind Tex and Jenkins with Lynch also a tall is much easier then what he'll do at our club.

He will 100% be another McCarthy/Kersten type. We'll have 3 forwards all very similar with no one able to take over a game.

If Kersten played at Adeliade I'd have no doubt he'd kick a couple a game too.
His worth has risen a wholse lot more then 10 picks that you seem to think it has in 2 years, He is worth about as much as gunston was as they are very similar players.
Gunston + pick #53 + pick #71

For

Pick #24, pick #46, pick #64

Gunston was a 20 year old averaging a bit better at the scoring in a side that finished 14th.

McGovern would be three years older than him and not yet played fifty games.

It isn't the resume of a superstar.
Mcgovern has other attributes such as marking and around the ground running that make up for less scoring than Gunston.

You also have to remember #24 was a first rounder in those days but either way 24 46 and 64 for 53 and 71 would = to around about pick 18/19/20 which is a late first/early second.

You have to pay more for players who look like they are going to be good players, 3 years age difference is nothing in the landscape of a 10 year career.

His worth has risen a wholse lot more then 10 picks that you seem to think it has in 2 years, He is worth about as much as gunston was as they are very similar players.

Mcgovern has other attributes such as marking and around the ground running that make up for less scoring than Gunston.

You also have to remember #24 was a first rounder in those days but either way 24 46 and 64 for 53 and 71 would = to around about pick 18/19/20 which is a late first/early second.

You have to pay more for players who look like they are going to be good players, 3 years age difference is nothing in the landscape of a 10 year career.

Cool. I respect your opinion, but disagree.

I don't think it works like a player was picked up at position X in the draft and their value is now X.

If we found a pick 20 the question would be is McGovern the best we could do with that pick? My argument would be no, we take it to the draft and find a player that could be better. Obviously that's the gamble.

We picked up Cox with pick number what? Sean Darcy was pick what?

If you think McGovern is worth a first rounder? Hmmm I think that makes you the delusional one. 1st rounders are for genuine class and McGovern ain't that.

I don't think it works like a player was picked up at position X in the draft and their value is now X.

If we found a pick 20 the question would be is McGovern the best we could do with that pick? My argument would be no, we take it to the draft and find a player that could be better. Obviously that's the gamble.

If you think McGovern is worth a first rounder? Hmmm I think that makes you the delusional one. 1st rounders are for genuine class and McGovern ain't that.

I agree with your premise on his worth, based on proven output and ability.

But there is a difference between tried and tested vs the pie and dreams that is a draft pick number. He is proven for his worth and you know his durability, flight risk, if he hasn't had disciplinary issues once he's had a footballers salary and chance for indiscretion etc.

Sticky hands and contested though, he is a bit different to Kersten and Cam Mac, but for our list issues we need a monster sized power forward first and if we can get him in addition - sweet!

I agree with your premise on his worth, based on proven output and ability.

But there is a difference between tried and tested vs the pie and dreams that is a draft pick number. He is proven for his worth and you know his durability, flight risk, if he hasn't had disciplinary issues once he's had a footballers salary and chance for indiscretion etc.

Sticky hands and contested though, he is a bit different to Kersten and Cam Mac, but for our list issues we need a monster sized power forward first and if we can get him in addition - sweet!

Agree with that. We need a genuine forward. Then we'll see the worth of McCarthy, Kersten and maybe McGovern etc. Easier said then done. Sadly Hogan was the one and it seems he'll play it out at Melbourne, he'd have been a massive win for the club.

My issue is paying say pick 20 for McGovern in isolation? Well yeah that wouldn't work. If we had Pav in our prime then acquiring McGovern for a first rounder would work really well.

For me it's about team balance and although different to McCarthy and Kersten they'd still be much the same if you know what I mean and hence not worth chasing.

I think the true meaning of your posts is now shining through, you simply don't rate Mcgovern, thats all that needed to be said rather then this "missing out" thing you had seemed to conjure up.

I for one rate Mcgovern and think he could become a gun, for those asking why was he missed in 2012? why was Jeremy picked as a rookie? why was Podsiadly picked at 28? Why was Barlow missed for years? some players do slip through but when they do make it and show what Mitch has shown then they would need to be compensated for at a fair amount eg late first/early second pick

Pick 20 is still too high for McGovern, and also I can't see how we will get that High a 2nd round pick. I really feel one of Lever, McGovern or Greenwood will fall out of the Adelaide tree. Yet to be seen who that would be. If I was Adelaide I would put all my focus into Lever and it seems to be the case.

Mitch is a bit of a late bloomer. His brother, Jeremy was 22 when he first played for WCE and he goes alright (only played 70 games himself). Mitch was actually 21 when he made his debut for Adelaide (born in Oct 1994). He has played 29 games currently and will play a few more before the season is out.

The other one we are interested in it seems is Brandon Matera. Hopefully a player swap could get the deal done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back