List Mgmt. Bringing them home! - Updated 14/Jun/2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One by one:

Rockliff - he is a good player but of questionable character according to reports/media/reputation. Always seemed overblown to me but there was noise about him for years. Also worth noting he went to a contender on plenty (ie enough to get end of first compo).

Motlop - flakey as. Obvious talent but only turns up every 10th game (where he inevitably wins you the game). No way the Cats let him go if they thought he was worth keeping. Would not want even if he was interested.

Jack Watts - I think this one is well publicised. Already managed to get dropped from Port and replaced by a 5 gamer. Do not want.

Jacobs - I don't remember this one well but I believe he was 3 or 4th in line at Carlton at the time. Certainly improved to be a gun ruck. The kicker though - he is South Australian.

Redden - He is a decent player. I wouldn't call him good to great. They also payed a first rounder for him which kind of defeats the purpose of your original posts.

Hugh Greenwood - was a category B rookie (ie free). Decent player though, would definitely take. Completely irrelevant though since he is Tasmanian and they have no club. He has no choice but to play away from home and for whatever reason chose the Crows.

So Rockliff if you are contending (ie maybe 8 of the 16 teams) on 700k or Jack Redden for a first rounder. Like I said, history laughs in your face. I'd argue, strongly, that Hamling is better than both of those blokes anyway.

FTR, I heartily agree that culture is massive and IF we do have problems with that we need to sort out ASAP.
Agree totally on Hamling. What a find. Also Wilson has been amazing and I still have high hopes for Matera.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Like anybody knows where that is.
images

I can't remember if this was answered somewhere but it begs the question why Bond/Lloyd didn't get Yeo especially given he wanted to come to us. I guess we had a set figure in mind and wouldn't budge?

I can't remember if this was answered somewhere but it begs the question why Bond/Lloyd didn't get Yeo especially given he wanted to come to us. I guess we had a set figure in mind and wouldn't budge?

I may be wrong but IIRC Brisbane wanted too much for him and he wasn't really a player we needed.

I can't see us getting Kelly. We have nothing to offer unless Lloydy works some magic during the trade period.

It is going to suck as a Souths man seeing him run around in blue and yellow next season.

my overwhelming preference is Geelong manage to keep him, we would have to over pay big time to beat out west coast
If only there was some public incident that made him question if West Coast had the right culture for him to move to, resulting in him specifically choosing Freo and therefore only requiring us to pay fair value?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I may be wrong but IIRC Brisbane wanted too much for him and he wasn't really a player we needed.
That was the year West Coast downgraded their top pick to pick up an extra second to trade for Yeo then picked Sheed in the draft?

If Yeo had said that he would only play for Freo, our second rounder would have got it done, but IIRC the talk was that we had enough flankers and he would have been surplus to requirements. So he took down his Pav and Fyfe posters off his bedroom wall, and ended up at the weags. :'(

If Yeo had said that he would only play for Freo, our second rounder would have got it done, but IIRC the talk was that we had enough flankers and he would have been surplus to requirements. So he took down his Pav and Fyfe posters off his bedroom wall, and ended up at the weags. :'(
I am pretty sure we said we could not guarantee him a spot in our best 22 when the Eagles could. We have made a few mistakes.

A 2nd rounder doesn't make up for losing a top 10 pick.

The only replacement for a top 10 pick is another top 10 pick or a player of equivalent quality.
It is not that exact. There are players that were not top 10 picks that should have been. It may be that Tim Kelly is worth more to us next year in terms of where we are at than a player that takes 2-3 years to get going. There are no guarantees with first round picks, we are supremely experienced in that department.

I don't know what Geelong's picks are either but I'm sure a pick and Tim Kelly would have the Dockers paying attention.

It is not that exact. There are players that were not top 10 picks that should have been. It may be that Tim Kelly is worth more to us next year in terms of where we are at than a player that takes 2-3 years to get going. There are no guarantees with first round picks, we are supremely experienced in that department.

I don't know what Geelong's picks are either but I'm sure a pick and Tim Kelly would have the Dockers paying attention.
Kelly IMO is not a top line player and likely won't ever be. He is midfield cream and would be exposed as such playing for us next year.

Statistically, the gun players are BY FAR most likely to come from the top 10 picks (top 5 in particular). We are greatly reducing our chances at a gun player for a good one.

I especially don't care about performing a little better next year at the expense of a better long term team.

Massive pass from me.

We'd also stuffed around with Brisbane over the Mitch Clark trades, so I imagine there would have been a bit of a hangover with that because of being on bad terms. Some clubs get reputations of being hard to deal with and little rivalries hang around for years.

Kelly IMO is not a top line player and likely won't ever be. He is midfield cream and would be exposed as such playing for us next year.

Statistically, the gun players are BY FAR most likely to come from the top 10 picks (top 5 in particular). We are greatly reducing our chances at a gun player for a good one.

I especially don't care about performing a little better next year at the expense of a better long term team.

Massive pass from me.
I hear you and somewhat agree. He's a good player and IMO helps replace Mundy after 2019 (also not confident on S.Hill's future). We made a bad mistake on Yeo with the same thinking, also this is Kelly's first year in the big time, should get better.

I won't be upset if we don't get him.

Trade our first pick w/ Tucker for Kelly and Geelong's first rounder.
That would be possible for us I think. Keeps us in potential Hill/Rozee territory perhaps. I have no doubt Geelong would like one of the Kings, and Tucker is still showing development, just a little slowly. Maybe Sheridan. A steak knives player.

I also think that is a better deal for them than the (likely) Gaff compo pick due to the quality available at pick 5/6. Depending on where Geelong actually finish I would not include Tucker and may not even do the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back