List Mgmt. Bringing them home! - Updated 14/Jun/2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not entirely true. See Tim Kelly. If we don't come up with something the Suns want - he goes elsewhere or stays a Sun.

He is different. Martin isn't contracted for 2020, they push the firm line and it will eventually break for a second round pick this year and next

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sounds like he wants to play in Melbourne anyways? Guess there's no real home lure to play here when he's a Kimberley boy who moved to Geraldton as a teen. He was generally at the top of my wish-list in trade periods during the past but my interest in him has become more sensible these days, don't really think he's a big requirement anymore to our side.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's not entirely true. See Tim Kelly. If we don't come up with something the Suns want - he goes elsewhere or stays a Sun.
This is my point, Kelly wanted the Eagles and only the Eagles. It wouldn't have mattered if we offered pick 1, because although Geelong would have bitten our hand off, Kelly didn't want to come to us.

Can't agree with this. He's been top 3 in the last 3 Suns BnF, played 58 games (out of 66) so is durable, lays just under 5 tackles and kicks a goal a game in a team that got belted most weeks. He's 24 and played 81 games. You'll need a heck of a lot more than 600 to even get a seat at the table.
You can't use the fact that he has been top 3 in the BnF and then also use the fact that his ok stats are better than they are because GC suck. If GC suck of course he should do well in the BnF.

He is an good player. If the price does turn out to be "a heck of a lot more than 600 to even get a seat at the table" then I am happy to let him stay or go to the Dons. That would be getting into Neale/Steven/Selwood type territory and he is not in that league as it stands.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Is there anyone apart from Bombers supporters saying he wants to go to Essendon?

GCSs will want established players in preference to draft picks I would have thought.
Re Martin , remember reading an article where he was directly quoted as saying he supported the bombers, so I d guess that’s where his interest in playing for them comes from.

Would trade our first this year(outside top 3) - if he wanted to come(highly doubt he’d want to tho)

But wouldn’t bother chasing/offering silly coin - has been , apart from the occasional stand out performance somewhat underwhelming so far AND considering he would want an absolute bomb of contract
(I remember him and his old man complaining Claremont weren’t paying him enough so he d rather play in Gerardton when he was just 16)-talk about entitlement.

sherrif

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2012
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is my point, Kelly wanted the Eagles and only the Eagles. It wouldn't have mattered if we offered pick 1, because although Geelong would have bitten our hand off, Kelly didn't want to come to us.

You can't use the fact that he has been top 3 in the BnF and then also use the fact that his ok stats are better than they are because GC suck. If GC suck of course he should do well in the BnF.

He is an good player. If the price does turn out to be "a heck of a lot more than 600 to even get a seat at the table" then I am happy to let him stay or go to the Dons. That would be getting into Neale/Steven/Selwood type territory and he is not in that league as it stands.
Actually, I reckon you can say Martin is better than his stats show. As a player rotating between an attacking mid or half forward with some time in defence playing in a very poor side, his role is much harder in a team not playing well, compared to a team playing well. In my view Martin would win more football if he came to freo and played as an outside mid who spends time forward and we win a high amount of inside ball, while also developing a few great kicks into the forward fifty. Martin offers that elite pace and skill that means you get high return on possessions and thats exactly what we still need moving forward. Id gladly pay 600K a year for four years to get someone with his attributes.

Potentially, we could do something similar to what North did this year in the Polec trade if Liam Henry comes on like I think he will. That is to use our first pick in a trade for a quality young veteran, while at the same time recruiting a quality kid by using later picks to match an early bid for a highly rated academy selection. Liam Henry, just like T.Thomas). It might cost us more at the trade table then a first pick if we finish outside the bottom 8 if Martin has a good year, but we can cross that bridge when or if it happens. Since the pay rise in 2017 $600K is the same percentage of the salary cap that 480K used to be. Its not that much for a player with Martin's skill/QUOTE]

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Putting my hand up and saying I would love Martin. Would give us someone flexible enough to go from half back to half forward that is fast, skilful and good in the air. In some ways it's like asking whether if we'd like a younger, less injury prone Stephen Hill that is more dangerous in the air.

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Putting my hand up and saying I would love Martin. Would give us someone flexible enough to go from half back to half forward that is fast, skilful and good in the air. In some ways it's like asking whether if we'd like a younger, less injury prone Stephen Hill that is more dangerous in the air.

Liam Henry come on down.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Actually, I reckon you can say Martin is better than his stats show. As a player rotating between an attacking mid or half forward with some time in defence playing in a very poor side, his role is much harder in a team not playing well, compared to a team playing well. In my view Martin would win more football if he came to freo and played as an outside mid who spends time forward and we win a high amount of inside ball, while also developing a few great kicks into the forward fifty. Martin offers that elite pace and skill that means you get high return on possessions and thats exactly what we still need moving forward. Id gladly pay 600K a year for four years to get someone with his attributes.

Potentially, we could do something similar to what North did this year in the Polec trade if Liam Henry comes on like I think he will. That is to use our first pick in a trade for a quality young veteran, while at the same time recruiting a quality kid by using later picks to match an early bid for a highly rated academy selection. Liam Henry, just like T.Thomas). It might cost us more at the trade table then a first pick if we finish outside the bottom 8 if Martin has a good year, but we can cross that bridge when or if it happens. Since the pay rise in 2017 $600K is the same percentage of the salary cap that 480K used to be. Its not that much for a player with Martin's skill/QUOTE]
I'd give pick 10 and 600k for him. I wouldn't give "significantly more just to get in the conversation" though.

I still it's moot anywhere as there is zero indication from either side of interest and a fair bit for other clubs.

UYD 4 Life

All Australian
Nov 27, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Who is the best small forward in the list?

Any one with top end pace, a leap, plus knows how to kick goals
Callum ah chee is probably the closest - although i think he is more a half forward than a goal kicking small forward. Don't think he's ben getting a gig at the moment not sure if injured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back