General Bombers Talk #Bringoutyourred(and black) - The much needed 2016 loyalty, passion, and pride thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
Okay today was a reality check for the club and will be felt for years to come. Without a doubt the darkest day for our side and could potentially destroy the club with disenfranchised players and supporters. There is no doubt questionable events happened and while the outcome is debatable our passion for Essendon is not.

We will band together and make it known the future is bright, we as a support base deserve and strive for the best. Decades of passion cannot be undone by today, we are stronger than this.

Ill dig out my Bombers jumper and wear it out tomorrow, today I saw three Essendon polos and caps around town today and it filled me with hope. There are thousands upon thousands of us out there who love Essendon. And while I don't want things to be swept under the rug and I want people held to account, I also want a clear vision on how we will overcome this. The club needs us now more than ever.

We get to wear casual dress on hot days. I'm wearing my 2015 Essendon polo. Devastated for the players, furious at the board and all senior people at the club in 2011/12, disappointed for Woosha and the other coaches and hurting for my fellow bomber supporters but I still bleed red and black...

I'm more talking about showing a bit of love for the club during a dark time. Not necessarily wearing team gear, just show a bit of pride in who we are. Reminisce about past brilliance, why do you love the bombers? Give a reason why you will stick by us, what will the future hold?

We are the club of Reynolds, and Coleman. We are a great club.

I wore my Essendon jumper to the gym today. I also have Essendon number plates so driving my car around. Already booked my accommodation for the first round game against the Gold Coast. Will be there cheering the boys on madly.

Went to the LA Kings/Detroit Red Wings game last night here in LA with my bombers beanie on. Sat in between a large group of kings fans wearing black and silver, with my red and black beanie on. I don't usually wear my red and black in public but yesterday I felt compelled to.

My 15yo rang me in tears yesterday (he broke my heart)

I got home from work last night and hugged him and told him if he wanted to stop following the Bombers that's ok. Both his dad and brother barrack for the Tigers.

He told me no. Supporters don't do that. They stick with the Club and the players through good and bad.

He then walked out the door to go to a local cricket twilight game wearing his Bombers jumper

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am really a state of "Im over it all" right now............am I the only one?

You're not alone. I said this yesterday on here but I picked my five year old daughter up from a holiday programme and she said 'Dad, I don't barrack for the Bombers anymore cos they're cheaters.' That tipped me well and truly over the edge. Football won't ever be the same for any of us.

Wore my Essendon polo in the city yesterday. Not one negative or disparaging comment - the only people that acknowledged it were fellow Essendon fans that were visibly as affected by the decision as I was and still am. Also renewed my membership and I've started seriously considering booking flights and accommodation to one of the first two games of the season. We'll see how it goes.

Nothing changed yesterday in terms of information. My views of the club therefore are no different. I still have many issues with the board and the people involved in the program. What has changed is the interpretation of the information as perceived by a couple of faceless guys from overseas. In my anger at the decision I wanted to sweat off footy forever. The AFL comp is a twisted corporate farce micromanaged by politicised egotists. But I haven't lost my red and black heart. It still beats for the Bombers and I will have an interest in the development of our youngsters.

Yesterday in the immediate moments after the verdict was announced I questioned whether I would continue my support of the club. I would never follow another club, but whether I could be bothered with following this league. I was considering tipping all my passion for footy into Central Districts and my old amateur club. As the day wore on I inevitably realised I would continue, there is no other way.

Am I angry at the club putting me as a supporter in this bind? Absolutely.

Am I angry at the club for putting the players through this? Bloody oath?

Am I angry at the naivety of the players to take everything on face value rather than doing their own research (something that most in the comp would've done at the time but no longer)? 100%

Am I angry at the way the process played out between the AFL, ASADA, WADA and the club? You can take this one to the bank.

Am I a died in the wool Bomber for life? For better or worse, it's a resounding YES.

Nothing changed for me yesterday except for shock that the comfortable satisfaction bar could be set so low. I was quite angry. I feel for the players. I don't subscribe to the theory they could have done more. Ironically if they had of done less they would most likely not be serving bans.

The thing that annoys me most is the nuffy supporters who know * all about this case think they're all on top of it. Additionally those Bombers supporters (one preachy one in particular) who are so desperate to appear unbiased and considered by going hard against Essendon annoy me as much as those who think the club did no wrong.

Nonetheless I was looking up membership packages to buy in addition to mine last night.

I've never even vaguely considered not following this club but understand the feelings of those who have.

Not a fun day yesterday but glad I have many other things in life and perspective that it's just sport.

Nothing changed for me yesterday except for shock that the comfortable satisfaction bar could be set so low. I was quite angry. I feel for the players. I don't subscribe to the theory they could have done more. Ironically if they had of done less they would most likely not be serving bans.

The thing that annoys me most is the nuffy supporters who know **** all about this case think they're all on top of it. Additionally those Bombers supporters (one preachy one in particular) who are so desperate to appear unbiased and considered by going hard against Essendon annoy me as much as those who think the club did no wrong.

Nonetheless I was looking up membership packages to buy in addition to mine last night.

I've never even vaguely considered not following this club but understand the feelings of those who have.

Not a fun day yesterday but glad I have many other things in life and perspective that it's just sport.
Name names

Well if it's me, I'm not going hard against the club to "appear unbiased". I'm just pissed off at what the club has done and the position it's put itself and its players in. I've been saying this for some time so it's nothing new. My sympathy for Hird and the club expired a long time ago. I don't see this as disloyalty or anything like that. 18 years of membership and enduring the last few years says I, and any of us actually, owe the club * all. They have to win back the respect and loyalty I once felt for them, because they've destroyed it. It's not automatic. I used to never miss a game, I'd go if I was sick or whatever. Last year or two that's changed.

I'm not saying everyone will think like that. There's no right or wrong way to feel after something like this. But that's just me.

But if you weren't referring to me, well I'm an idiot. Carry on sir.

Well if it's me, I'm not going hard against the club to "appear unbiased". I'm just pissed off at what the club has done and the position it's put itself and its players in. I've been saying this for some time so it's nothing new. My sympathy for Hird and the club expired a long time ago. I don't see this as disloyalty or anything like that. 18 years of membership and enduring the last few years says I, and any of us actually, owe the club **** all. They have to win back the respect and loyalty I once felt for them, because they've destroyed it. It's not automatic. I used to never miss a game, I'd go if I was sick or whatever. Last year or two that's changed.

I'm not saying everyone will think like that. There's no right or wrong way to feel after something like this. But that's just me.

But if you weren't referring to me, well I'm an idiot. Carry on sir.
I find it interesting that your first thought was that I was referring to you. Any particular reason?

If I sit back and look at things evenly, the only people from Essendon that I attribute significant blame to are Dank, Robinson and Evans.

Without Hird and Thompson the ball would have never got rolling but this was not the game they were intending to play. Hird in particular has been monumentally screwed over for a mistake in trust, management and having no knowledge of pharmacology. This mistake has had enormous ramifications but it doesn't change how I view what the mistake was and why I can forgive it and have sympathy for him.

As to your passion for the club and your loyalty, everyone has their limit, but it's good to see you allude to the possibility that maybe your posts come from an emotional place, it puts a different light on them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back