Preview Brisbane 2020 Season

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
There are threads talking about Richmond, GWS and West Coast’s 2020 season, but one of the most interesting team in 2020 is Brisbane. Is this a team that is a solidified contender or was their performance mostly related to their draw?

I personally think that they are genuinely building a premiership side, but their core may be a little inexperienced to go all the way in 2020. Post your thoughts here

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
There are threads talking about Richmond, GWS and West Coast’s 2020 season, but one of the most interesting team in 2020 is Brisbane. Is this a team that is a solidified contender or was their performance mostly related to their draw?

I personally think that they are genuinely building a premiership side, but their core may be a little inexperienced to go all the way in 2020. Post your thoughts here

I think they're a solid side that may have slightly overachieved in 2019 based on a great injury run and a little assistance from the draw.

My guess is they'll be a finals side in 2020 still, but maybe not Top 2 H&A again.

4 - 6 with a decent run of injury, I can see Richmond, GWS, Collingwood & West Coast in the Top-4 zone with Brisbane & Bulldogs in the next block.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
One thing strikes you about the Brisbane year of 2019 and that is the number of players who went
"Maximus" or played every game.

24 Games: 10 x Players
23 Games: 4 x Players
22 Games: 1 x Player
21 Games: 2 x Players
20 Games: 1 x Player
19 Games: 1 x Player

So Brisbane sat a top the continuity list or "Maximus" as I like to call it.

This factor combined with their draw and game style saw them do well even excel in 2019, but can
they back it up with no Hodge and a poorer "Maximus" we shall see.

GoldStandard

Senior List
Sep 10, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
One thing strikes you about the Brisbane year of 2019 and that is the number of players who went

This factor combined with their draw and game style saw them do well even excel in 2019, but can
Credit to their conditioning staff I guess.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams

Wow that is a lot of continuity in their list. I knew that they didn’t have a lot of injuries, but didn’t realise it was that great

Nov 26, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah last two years (I think it was two) with we changed over our medical staff. Before that we had a shocking run of key players being injured. I think the main staff from the previous regime went to Adelaide and well its probably better for Adelaide fans to comment on what happened there.

One thing that people keep saying is that our draw will be a lot harder this year but its actually not a huge amount different. Not sure it will have the big effect some people think it will.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I think if they stagnate they’ll drop down to a 5-8 team due to a slightly more difficult draw, and becoming more of a ‘scalp’ for opposition teams. No doubt work has been put into them over the summer. But if they continue to build they’ll be right in it at the pointy end, their finals experience in 2019 beneficial to their chances.

Either way I think they’ll be a serious contender for years to come.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The interesting thing is how they’ll go with Hodge not there on the field anymore. Who is going to replace his on-field leadership? He was one of their best when Brisbane played Richmond in the QF

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
I, like a few other astute observers, think they'll regress with a bit of a harder draw. Could possibly gain more injuries if fate may decide. And will most likely finish outside of the 8.

Or... they could win the lot. Basically I have NFI like every one else who has commented I suppose.

Richmond in 2015 finish 5th. Then in 2016 they drop off and finish 13th. I don't need to remind anybody what happened in 2017. What a special time that was to be alive hey Farang83150. No need to remind you . It is written in folklore now.

Good luck to them, as that seems to be the biggest influence on success.

Back