Aussies Brisbane 2032 - What sports should be included?

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the International Rugby Leauge website there are 45 participating nations, from 6 continents , i wont complain if its included 2 extra golds pretty much and we have seen with Fiji winning rugby 7 gold how much it means for the islander nations.
Most of those teams are fake, look at the World Cup and you just get players born in Aus playing for the nation of their parents as they can’t get a game

League wants 9s in there has been one nines World Cup and that was organised by the NRL only 12 sides entered sides and 7 of them were from Oceania they only managed to get 4 women’s teams to enter to put this in perspective in 09 when rugby 7’s was announced as an Olympic sport 72 women’s side’s competed in qualification tournaments for the 2009 rugby 7s World Cup

Furthermore rugby league is not officially a sport and has failed multiple time to gain recognition.

Most of those teams are fake, look at the World Cup and you just get players born in Aus playing for the nation of their parents as they can’t get a game

League wants 9s in there has been one nines World Cup and that was organised by the NRL only 12 sides entered sides and 7 of them were from Oceania they only managed to get 4 women’s teams to enter to put this in perspective in 09 when rugby 7’s was announced as an Olympic sport 72 women’s side’s competed in qualification tournaments for the 2009 rugby 7s World Cup

Furthermore, rugby league is not officially a sport and has failed multiple time to gain recognition.
I'm and not arguing with you that the international game isn't as strong compared to other sports but the host city does have plenty of say on what sport to be included and Queensland and Brisbane in particular are rugby league mad, if Paris can have breakdancing added surely Brisbane can add rugby league.

I'm and not arguing with you that the international game isn't as strong compared to other sports but the host city does have plenty of say on what sport to be included and Queensland and Brisbane in particular are rugby league mad, if Paris can have breakdancing added surely Brisbane can add rugby league.
Well somehow breakdancing is recognised as a sport unlike league

It’s the PC era we are in but the IOC is big on equal opportunity and it’s something you have to show for inclusion in days gone by league would of been added for men in 32 with the aim to add it for women down they line but they won’t accept that now

Well somehow breakdancing is recognised as a sport unlike league

It’s the PC era we are in but the IOC is big on equal opportunity and it’s something you have to show for inclusion in days gone by league would of been added for men in 32 with the aim to add it for women down they line but they won’t accept that now

Rugby League isn't a sport?! What are you inhaling?!

It will come down to how much influence the host city has, John Coates is pretty high up in the IOC as well, I'm sure the IOC takes into account the host nation's request baseball included into Tokyo. To be fair none of us really know.

Rugby League isn't a sport?! What are you inhaling?!

Officially it’s not recognised as a sport. If you are going to pot someone get it right

The IRL also addressed this point when they spoke of their aspirations to be included into the Olympics

Officially it’s not recognised as a sport. If you are going to pot someone get it right

The IRL also addressed this point when they spoke of their aspirations to be included into the Olympics

That settles it!! Somebody tell NRL & superleague to disband

That settles it!! Somebody tell NRL & superleague to disband
Lol it’s okay just admit you got it wrong, the head of the IRL can acknowledge that it is vital to get official recognition as a sport as with out it they aren’t eligible for the Olympic inclusion and that’s the topic of conversation here.

If they are unable to prove they that league is sufficiently different enough from Union like they have been in the past they won’t get approved and then any Olympic bid would have to come from World Rugby and that won’t happen

Personally I think it’s a joke that they have been refused recognition on previous applications as it’s clearly a sport in its own right but money and politics have their say

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe touch football can be included if you want to differentiate from rugby 7s. It's mind boggling that breakdancing is considered a sport but rugby league is not

Maybe touch football can be included if you want to differentiate from rugby 7s. It's mind boggling that breakdancing is considered a sport but rugby league is not
Look I dare say world rugby plays a part in rugby league’s repeated knock backs. Aussie rules also isn’t recognised but that is down to the fact we have never applied for recognition

Look I dare say world rugby plays a part in rugby league’s repeated knock backs. Aussie rules also isn’t recognised but that is down to the fact we have never applied for recognition
A way that Aussie rules can be included if the Australian team are selected through the Amateur leagues

A way that Aussie rules can be included if the Australian team are selected through the Amateur leagues
Aussie rules will never be an Olympic sport and unless something changes it never should be. As much as it would be nice and none of the American team sports were really played outside of America when they were included a long time ago you simply cannot add a sport only one nation plays

The issue with surf lifesaving (which otherwise should be a marquee push for Brisbane 2032) is that the World Games format is a hybridised pool lifeguard/surf lifesaving thing, so you'd have at least half the events based in the pool. And no one wants that filth, and you'd probably eventually find it dominated by those water polo-y eastern europe type nations. The surf lifesaving sport is now of a vintage where there are enough countries who have developed since the 50s, and with carnival parades, overall team events (including beach sprints, flags, surfboats, etc.), and individual (Ironman or Coolangatta Gold) it would be really cool and a rare Aussie invention contribution. And you could use roughly the same venue as the surfing depending on break, safety, difficulty, access and beachfront. QLD is also pretty versed in shark & stinger nets.

I wonder if LA 28 will leverage the Hawaii Ironman for their triathlon? Both France and USA are surf lifesaving friendly and historically among the core triathlon nations.

I can understand 2032 pushing for Netball though, bit of an onus on netball-mad countries like us to give it that extra incentive. T20 would also make a good case you'd think.

Last edited:
The issue with surf lifesaving (which otherwise should be a marquee push for Brisbane 2032) is that the World Games format is a hybridised pool lifeguard/surf lifesaving thing, so you'd have at least half the events based in the pool. And no one wants that filth. The surf lifesaving sport is now of a vintage where there are enough countries who have developed since the 50s, and with carnival parades, overall team events (including beach sprints, flags, surfboats, etc.), and individual (Ironman or Coolangatta Gold) it would be really cool and a rare Aussie contribution. And you could use roughly the same venue as the surfing depending on break and safety.

I wonder if LA 28 will leverage the Hawaii Ironman for their triathlon? Both France and USA are surf lifesaving friendly and historically among the core triathlon nations.

I can understand 2032 pushing for Netball though, bit of an onus on netball-mad countries like us to give it that extra incentive.

It will be in the ocean. This is the format that would be in the Olympics, as explained by Trevor Hendy in the video:

One male race, one female race, one mixed relay. See the article below which talks about it. Note that it is on the agenda for LA, and the plan is for Brisbane to be keeping it rather than introducing it.

I think MMA will eventually be in the Olympics the IOC want to be relevant and catch the younger fan base, the difficulty will be trying to give athletes the right amount of rest maybe 3 rounds - 3 minutes rounds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back