Aussies Brisbane 2032 - What sports should be included?

Remove this Banner Ad

If cricket got in, there's no way it'd be played exclusively at rinky-dink regional venues. Not such a hard problem to solve though, keeping in mind the women's tournament at the CommGames next year will be 16 matches, 8 days, 1 ground.

The primary obstacle for the SCG, MCG, Adelaide Oval etc. wouldn't be football, it'd be weather. Cricket has been played at Docklands during the AFL season before, I can easily see it happening again in the right circumstances.

T20 Cricket - Popular sport in Australia and world wide

Rugby League 9s - Another sport that is popular in Australia with popularity elsewhere in the world too. Like rugby union using the 7s at the Olympics, the 9s could be played.
Agree on those two. Trying to think of something uniquely Australian that we can perhaps introduce to the world. Is underwater polo Aussie?

why not add afl? if the yanks get to add baseball, we should get to add footy.

and cricket should absolutely be an olympic sport. many more countries play t20 professionally than crap like baseball.

I'm not a baseball fan by any means, but it at least has a spatering of popularity across East Asia and Latin America. AFL is probably less on the radar outside of Aus/NZ than baseball is in minor baseball countries like Italy or Netherlands.

I'm not a baseball fan by any means, but it at least has a spatering of popularity across East Asia and Latin America. AFL is probably less on the radar outside of Aus/NZ than baseball is in minor baseball countries like Italy or Netherlands.
afl is played in other countries as well. baseball might have some minor popularity in random countries, but that doesnt mean its fair that its an olympic sport. america only added it because they know they were a shoo in to win because few other countries played it professionally. basketball is the same really, sure other countries have pro leagues but nothing like america. america have won pretty much every time, and theyre not even close games. cricket is much fairer because theres legitimately 5-6 teams that could win gold at any time.

Just to confirm, it wouldn’t be possible for the AFL to be played at the MCG/AO/SCG/Optus pretty much right up until the Olympics kick off, then recommence immediately after the Olympics are complete?

cricket has priority on the MCG/SCG so the AFL would need to work around them. In 2000 they just made the season start a month earlier and it was fine.

its only two weeks, those grounds don't have to have a game every week.

World Athletics tried to get cross country running into Paris, but the IOC rejected it. International Gymnastics Federation failed in trying to get parkour in. I imagine they will keep trying.

Surf lifesaving is trying to get into 2028 in LA. Hopefully it is a legit chance and won't even need to be a new sport.
https://www.infobae.com/aroundtheri...saving-seeks-wave-of-support-for-olympic-bid/

Should also start excluding events ... get rid of equestrian (dressage at least), artistic swimming, trampolining, break dancing, rhythmic gymnastics, 3x3 basketball. Not real sports. I'd rather have sheep dog trials and give a kelpie and it's handler a gold medal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

afl is played in other countries as well. baseball might have some minor popularity in random countries, but that doesnt mean its fair that its an olympic sport. america only added it because they know they were a shoo in to win because few other countries played it professionally. basketball is the same really, sure other countries have pro leagues but nothing like america. america have won pretty much every time, and theyre not even close games. cricket is much fairer because theres legitimately 5-6 teams that could win gold at any time.

Since becoming a full sport the US has only one gold medal at baseball and has won medals at three of five tournaments. Six different nations have won medals at the Olympics and an additional two (plus Puerto Rico) have been in the top three at the World Baseball Classic. Baseball is close to if not the most popular sport in Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Venezuela, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic. More than a quarter of MLB players come from outside of the US. In addition to the aforementioned countries there are also MLB players from Central America and the Dutch Caribbean. Softball is definitely more American dominated, but baseball definitely has a big presence in many places outside the US.

I couldn't find any numbers on how many AFL players there are that didn't grow up in Australia (moving there when you are a kid and getting ingrained in the culture isn't really an "international" player in my opinion), but I'd imagine it is lower (by percentage) than the number for MLB players that didn't grow up in the US.

Should also start excluding events ... get rid of equestrian (dressage at least), artistic swimming, trampolining, break dancing, rhythmic gymnastics, 3x3 basketball. Not real sports. I'd rather have sheep dog trials and give a kelpie and it's handler a gold medal.

agree 100% - dressage is literally 90% the horse and you need one that is serious $$$ too. its a bit of a joke.

I'd watch dog tricks, those agility races are good watching.

A better comparison for trying to get Aussie Rules into the Olympics is American Football. No one outside the US would stand a chance, much like how no one would stand a chance against us.

Why isn’t cricket an Olympic sport? It’s bigger than baseball. I’d think it’s surely a no brainer for Brisbane who already have the infrastructure for it.

Netball would be another good one.

It obviously won’t happen but I’d love to see Aussie Rules just so we could have our own version of the Dream Team. We’d blow everyone out by 100+. There would probably be some stupid scores produced.
About the only thing limiting the margin would be the time taken to move the ball from the centre square to the goal square.

The games are on in August what will happen with footy. They moved the season 4 weeks ahead in 2000 so there was a buffer between the GF and the games. Will the AFL move the season 3 months ahead and start min Jan to accommodate.

Maybe they can make AFL a demonstration sport so they don't have to vacate the stadiums during the games to make room for all of the Olympic turf sports

From what I understand, there are 25 core sports and we get to pick 3 from a list of recognised sports. Surfing will definitely be in 2032. so that leaves 2 more.

Squash
finally squash. please. no other sport deserves it more. no other sport needs it as much as Squash. People love playing it in Aus. Really is now or never for squash

Netball would be a funny one. super popular here but lacks a men's comp and is dominated by a few nations. Would the IOC introduce a sport just for one sex? Would they be willing to give Australia a free medal. I remain doubtful but they have applied in previous years.

If cricket ever wanted to become an Olympic sport, 2032 should be their aim. I still dont know how it would really work. Having a cricket pitch and a bunch of ovals is expensive. I still think cricket is too big and too complicated. They need another form of cricket like 7's.

Aussie Rules and Rugby league nines are no chance. Aussie Rules is not global and Rugby 9's is basically Rugby 7's.
Cricket will be there in 28 and again in 32 and beyond

The games are on in August what will happen with footy. They moved the season 4 weeks ahead in 2000 so there was a buffer between the GF and the games. Will the AFL move the season 3 months ahead and start min Jan to accommodate.

Maybe they can make AFL a demonstration sport so they don't have to vacate the stadiums during the games to make room for all of the Olympic turf sports
no such thing as a demonstration sport.

AFL will not go up against a home Olympics. They will have a bye for 2-3 weeks and finish in October. The only stadium in use will be the Gabba, which would be out of action for a lot in the next couple of years.

no such thing as a demonstration sport.

AFL will not go up against a home Olympics. They will have a bye for 2-3 weeks and finish in October. The only stadium in use will be the Gabba, which would be out of action for a lot in the next couple of years.
The Gabba wont be rebuilt until the 10km north south Cross River Rail project is finished in 2025, about 60% will be thru tunnels, with a huge new station at Woolloongabba to the west of the Gabba. They are building a plaza area to walk to the Gabba but the bid proposal is to build a big walkway over the top of Main Street. I wrote about it in the Brisbane 2032 thread.

So I doubt they will start before 2028 either late that year or early 2029 so that its finished say for the 2031 footy season and gets tested out for 15 months or so before the Games.

If cricket got in, there's no way it'd be played exclusively at rinky-dink regional venues. Not such a hard problem to solve though, keeping in mind the women's tournament at the CommGames next year will be 16 matches, 8 days, 1 ground.

The primary obstacle for the SCG, MCG, Adelaide Oval etc. wouldn't be football, it'd be weather. Cricket has been played at Docklands during the AFL season before, I can easily see it happening again in the right circumstances.
Why not? Its not about playing it in great stadiums in the rest of Oz, its about delivering a Queensland games.

Docklands would be the only AFL venue south of Queensland border that would get a look in - because it has a roof. Regional venues will be upgraded and temporary stands put in. The decision will be made because of TV viewership not playing at iconic cricket grounds, especially given a late July / early August weather.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back