Brisbane- Another priority pick this year?

Brisbane- Another priority pick this year?

• No.

• Yes- Start of first round/after their first pick?

• Yes- Pick 11 ie. straight after the non-finalists.

• Yes- End of first round.

• A highly indignant NO! not till hell freezes over.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
It is looking highly likely that we will be finishing 18th this year, we have 1 win and a percentage of 67% and IMO a 3-4 win season is the best case scenario. The evenness of the competition has really hotted up this year except for us unfortunately. The clubs percentages in the 4 spots above us are 91.4%, 92.1%, 94.3% and 76.5%.

If it wasn't for the Bombers supplements bans last year we would have been clear last with only 2 wins for the season.

2015- 4 wins, 67.5%.
2016- 3 wins, 61.6%
2017- 1 win (so far), 67%.

That's 7 wins in 52 games.

If it was me I would like to see us use any PP to somehow get in a 20-24 year old A grade talent from another club, eg. Jacob Hopper, Matthew Kennedy, Darcy Parish, Nakia Cockatoo, all OOC 2017 as far as I am aware.

I think this year's priority pick for Brisbane should be raising the initial contracts for top draftees to 3 or 4 years.

Not sure all our draftees are buying into our club since they know it's only a 2 year wait until they can choose what club they can play at in their home state (on a fat pay cheque).

Making it 3 or 4 years would mean they know they need to play good footy at their first club rather than wait around doing the bare minimum.

3 or 4 year contracts for top 20 picks and then remove the PSD. Happy days for everyone.

I think we need to be a bit more intelligent in our approach to solving problems like this. The solution must fit the problem and I'm not sure how a priority pick solves the long term issues Brisbane has.

The most glaring issue Brisbane has had is player retention and in years gone by the club was granted a retention allowance that was supposed to level the playing field as most of Brisbane's players would come from interstate and could easily get homesick. Unfortunately the retention allowance is a bit too strong in the advantages it gives to a single side so it can't be the solution going forward. At least not in its past form.

Homesickness is a fear that comes with with drafting any interstate player to any club. The only difference with the Lions is that there is so little AFL talent to choose from in Queensland so the risk of having a player want to return to their home state is increased.

A potential solution I would suggest is a pay bonus awarded to any player who is drafted by a club not from their home state for the early part of their career. This would be a league wide initiative so a Victorian club who drafted a WA kid would be given a similar advantage, same for an SA club drafting a Victorian kid, or a WA club drafting from NSW.
It would not be a flat cap percentage increase like the COLA, but rather a flat bonus given to players on top of their initial contract and for the first five years of their career. The caveat of this bonus is that a player could only receive it from the club they were drafted by. If a player decided to leave their first club they would forfeit any future bonus they would receive if they had stayed. Even if the player was still living interstate.

I actually think they'll be ok. The talent there is good. Schache, Hipwood, Andrews, Mcstay, Close, Roberston, Mccluggage, Berry, Zorko, Rockcliff, Taylor, Martin. That's 12 guys that are either really young or at a point where they can have an impact. Beams injury free is a gun.

I reckon they trade Rich whilst he has currency. I also think whilst they have some good kids, keeping them is key. Schache is 50/50 of staying, and that hurts, the talent pool in QLD just isn't there, but I think if they can develop some success on field and start improving, it'll help the retention issues.

The AFL may have to look at some sort of retention program with Brisbane to help them keep the kids, they just aren't viable up there if someone like Schache decides to pack up and go home. It's a knife blow to them.

Possible relocation to Melbourne? Fitzroy Lions?

Yes. Which other clubs have lost as many first round draft picks as Brisbane because of players being 'homesick'. How can Brisbane build a list when they lose so many young players because they want to be closer to their mates.

Address the real issues, don't load them up with more picks because those players are only going to leave as well.

Priority picks or any first year 18 year old isn't going to dramatically change a team around in 1 season.
Agree, I know the AFL wouldn't do it but I would rather we had to use it on an A grade experienced player, couldn't do it because maybe no one of that level would want to come.

Yes. Which other clubs have lost as many first round draft picks as Brisbane because of players being 'homesick'. How can Brisbane build a list when they lose so many young players because they want to be closer to their mates.
So your solution is to give them another pick?
You can't force people to live where they don't want to. Making the club a more appealing place to stay should be the main priority

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this year's priority pick for Brisbane should be raising the initial contracts for top draftees to 3 or 4 years.

Not sure all our draftees are buying into our club since they know it's only a 2 year wait until they can choose what club they can play at in their home state (on a fat pay cheque).

Making it 3 or 4 years would mean they know they need to play good footy at their first club rather than wait around doing the bare minimum.

3 or 4 year contracts for top 20 picks and then remove the PSD. Happy days for everyone.

Why invest more time and resources into a player who doesn't want to be there?

After three or four years you're essentially sending someone ready made to another club.

If you can't make Brisbane and Queensland an attractive place to want to stay and live. Then your problems are far greater than fooball.

I think a money package for offield department such as coaching etc would be better than another 18 year old kid.

Similar to what afl did for Melbourne

Errr, wat?

Tier 1 FA compo for Frawley
Viney pick 26 F/S when they had 3 picks before that
Two first round picks as compo for Scully
1st round PP 2009

Melbourne have been looked after very well by the AFL.

Priority picks should be scrapped altogether.

What I want to know is why so many players don't want to play for Brisbane. I get the team has been s**t the last few years, but they weren't far off the finals in 2012/13. They're not Melbourne 'awful for a decade' bad. Yet.

Daniel Rich seems to love it there. Rockliff has hung around even though people are always knocking him. Christensen wanted to go there. Stef Martin, Bastinac, Walker, Robinson... these guys aren't exactly stars or weren't when they arrived but were all happy to go there. Beams and Bell who are Queenslanders wanted to go back.

Black, Power, Brown, Bradshaw, Lappin, McGrath, Shaun Hart... these guys all played long careers in Brisbane, and outside 1999-2004 the club has never been successful. What's changed? Other than the loss of the player retention allowance which was only 5% anyway.

Errr, wat?

Tier 1 FA compo for Frawley
Viney pick 26 F/S when they had 3 picks before that
Two first round picks as compo for Scully
1st round PP 2009

Melbourne have been looked after very well by the AFL.

Uhh...

Frawley made the contract for Tier 1.
Melbourne had one pick before Viney at pick 4, blame GWS for not bidding.
Scully was worth 2x firsts because of the contract and because having a pick 1 walk out on an establishment club for a new side with no compo would have really hurt the AFL from a PR point.

What they need is to make Brisbane an attractive team to stay at:-

Elliot Yeo - Top of AFLCA board
Docerty - AA type qualities
Polec - crucial when Port made finals
Longer - solid ruckman
Hanley - switched to Gold Coast, a bottom 4 team when he did. This is despite him criticising the above when they left.
Redden - playing firsts at West Coast
Rischetelli - B&F winner changed over straight after winning his B&F

all left despite being quality. None of them have been either delisted or traded out from their new clubs (yet!).

No point giving priority picks if they will rebound out like the above.

Better to fix the environment. Even now, Schache is supposedly being chased by Melbourne teams. This is despite him having a family connection with Brisbane (father played for them), and him wanting to go to Brisbane prior to the draft. Just how terrible is the place that now Schache may consider leaving as well!?

Uhh...

Frawley made the contract for Tier 1.
Melbourne had one pick before Viney at pick 4, blame GWS for not bidding.
Scully was worth 2x firsts because of the contract and because having a pick 1 walk out on an establishment club for a new side with no compo would have really hurt the AFL from a PR point.

Frawley made tier 1 compo by the AFL's magic formula, which they do not disclose.
Melbourne traded 3 & 14 for 20 (on traded for Dawes) & mini draft pick 2 (Hogan). The AFL didn't count these picks in F/S bidding.
Scully two picks, Ablett two picks, Ward one. Does not compute.

The AFL looked after Melbourne.

Adelaide... (more in quality than quantity though)

Tippett (he claimed homesickness!)
Dangerfield
Vince

What's changed?
Nothing. That's the problem.

Brisbane haven't really improved their off field setup from 15 years ago. Every other club has.

Back