Brisbane- Another priority pick this year?

Brisbane- Another priority pick this year?

• No.

• Yes- Start of first round/after their first pick?

• Yes- Pick 11 ie. straight after the non-finalists.

• Yes- End of first round.

• A highly indignant NO! not till hell freezes over.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

My guess would be the AFL will do the following.
Finish with 2 wins or less and it will a priority pick at the start of the draft. 3 to 4 wins and a priority pick at the end of the first round. 5+ wins no priority pick.
In either case the AFL will fork out a significant amount of money to Lions to help stabilise the club financially.
Hopefully the club can bounce back strongly in the next season or two.

No one is claiming otherwise. Brisbane need short, medium and long term supports. No one is claiming that a pp will solve all of our problems. It is one ingredient.

In terms of picks? I think there is enough talent coming into the club, it is going to take time for Hipworth, Keays, Schache, etc to come good. The club needs to stop shooting itself in the foot by alienating young players like Schache, who was fairly close to the previous coach. Hopefully the Lions can repair that relationship before the end of the season, if not, Lions have to try and get a good outcome for themselves.

If the club needs more resources for better facilities, better coaching staff, etc then I am okay with that, what I am not okay with is increasing the faucet of talent into a club that if and when they get their s**t together will overcompensate and result in giving them a significant advantage that can't be undone. Melbourne were in the same position a few years ago and asking for first round priority picks, it would have made the current team significantly stronger than it is if the AFL caved in.

Lions just need to get their s**t together.

It is looking highly likely that we will be finishing 18th this year, we have 1 win and a percentage of 67% and IMO a 3-4 win season is the best case scenario. The evenness of the competition has really hotted up this year except for us unfortunately. The clubs percentages in the 4 spots above us are 91.4%, 92.1%, 94.3% and 76.5%.

If it wasn't for the Bombers supplements bans last year we would have been clear last with only 2 wins for the season.

2015- 4 wins, 67.5%.
2016- 3 wins, 61.6%
2017- 1 win (so far), 67%.

That's 7 wins in 52 games.

If it was me I would like to see us use any PP to somehow get in a 20-24 year old A grade talent from another club, eg. Jacob Hopper, Matthew Kennedy, Darcy Parish, Nakia Cockatoo, all OOC 2017 as far as I am aware.

AFL almost got it right when they did the "must be on-traded rule" with Jack Martin and co. Essentially the club is given good assets, but must on-trade the rights to them.

Where the AFL got it wrong is that they allowed draft picks to be traded for them.

PROPOSAL
Priority picks should be awarded to struggling teams so that they can become more competitive in the short term.

E.g. Brisbane get given pick 11*

Pick 11 must be traded to a team for a player who is not on their original Contract (i.e. can't trade for a 1st or 2nd year player).

That way they bring in quality who can help them now, instead of staying s**t and doing a GWS by stockpiling low picks til they can make a big jump.

AFL almost got it right when they did the "must be on-traded rule" with Jack Martin and co. Essentially the club is given good assets, but must on-trade the rights to them.

Where the AFL got it wrong is that they allowed draft picks to be traded for them.

PROPOSAL
Priority picks should be awarded to struggling teams so that they can become more competitive in the short term.

E.g. Brisbane get given pick 11*

Pick 11 must be traded to a team for a player who is not on their original Contract (i.e. can't trade for a 1st or 2nd year player).

That way they bring in quality who can help them now, instead of staying s**t and doing a GWS by stockpiling low picks til they can make a big jump.
Like the idea J08, it has been bought up before. The only problem with that is, are there any quality players out there who would want to come to Brisbane? I would love it if we were in the conversation for someone like Jacob Hopper or Matthew Kennedy, both OOC at the giants this year. I would be very tempted to give up pick 1 this year for them as a package to us.

What happens in your scenario if no quality player wants to come up here?

Let me get this straight. Brisbane is on the right track as a club, and should be immune from criticism, but also deserve a free pick?

Ok lets put this thread on hold till the end of the season and see how the results look in the second half of the season. Their is a school of thought that we will be better in the second half of the season once we grasp the Fagan gameplan a bit more and our kids have more experience at AFL level.

I really don't think we can decide whether the Lions need a priority pick or not till the end of the season.

It can change very quickly. After 2 rounds this year there were articles stating how terrible Carlton are going to be and should look at the Brisbane model because they are far superior.

Since the "home sick" epidemic, I think they have managed to attract more players into their club then losing players.

This year in the first round they will already have:

Pick one - Assuming the season plays out as OP and others in this thread expect.
Connor Ballenden - Academy player rated as a top 5 pick.
Port Adelaide's first round pick - Currently sitting as pick 13.

And now there's talk of going hat in hand looking for a start or mid first round priority pick? Not a chance.

The PP Brisbane got last year should have been withheld for when there is evidence they have gotten themselves right internally. If they have then the PP should have been a first rounder. It really should have came this year. The Lions need as much top end talent as they can get. But its also vital to get things in order so that talent remains at the club.

It's amazing the amount of fairy tales Lions fans around here hang their hat on.

I guess when reality is as frightening as the Brisbane Lions, you need to hang your hat on something.

HwmB7t7krGnao.webp

In terms of picks? I think there is enough talent coming into the club, it is going to take time for Hipworth, Keays, Schache, etc to come good. The club needs to stop shooting itself in the foot by alienating young players like Schache, who was fairly close to the previous coach. Hopefully the Lions can repair that relationship before the end of the season, if not, Lions have to try and get a good outcome for themselves.

If the club needs more resources for better facilities, better coaching staff, etc then I am okay with that, what I am not okay with is increasing the faucet of talent into a club that if and when they get their s**t together will overcompensate and result in giving them a significant advantage that can't be undone. Melbourne were in the same position a few years ago and asking for first round priority picks, it would have made the current team significantly stronger than it is if the AFL caved in.

Lions just need to get their s**t together.
those are good points, though the decision on Leppa shouldn't be about which players would be alienated or not. Nor should it.

We had a similar issue with Hird. There were obvious issues and there was no way he was able to be focusing on coaching as much as the job demands, yet the players were clearly with him.
Decision needs to be about the club more than anything.

Melbourne didn't have the geography against them.
Landing players like Frost, Vince, Hibberd & Lewis has helped accelerate them. These are the sort of players Brisbane need.
But other than Beams, they don't tend to sign them.
They tend to end up in Vic or NSW, or home in SA or WA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

those are good points, though the decision on Leppa shouldn't be about which players would be alienated or not. Nor should it.

I agree with that, but you can't cycle your coaching like laundry and expect to develop strong bonds, Leppa wasn't really the first, they have had a number of issues with their coaches and player retention.

We had a similar issue with Hird. There were obvious issues and there was no way he was able to be focusing on coaching as much as the job demands, yet the players were clearly with him.
Decision needs to be about the club more than anything.

Hird should be considered extraordinary circumstances though.

Melbourne didn't have the geography against them.
Landing players like Frost, Vince, Hibberd & Lewis has helped accelerate them. These are the sort of players Brisbane need.
But other than Beams, they don't tend to sign them.
They tend to end up in Vic or NSW, or home in SA or WA.

2016: 3 wins 19 losses
2015: 4 wins 18 losses
2014: 7 wins 15 losses
2013: 10 wins 12 losses
2012: 10 wins 12 losses
2011: 4 wins 18 losses
2010: 7 wins 15 losses
2009:13 wins 8 losses 1 draw

That is how long it has been since they have been able to win at least 50% of their games and make the top 8. I'd want to leave Brisbane if I was a kid and was looking at being stuck in that environment.

However, they didn't have a geographic problem when they were winning flags.

If you want to rebuild a shithouse football club the starting point is making your side hard to play against, you tackle and pressure hard for four quarters irrespective of the result. That builds confidence in yourself, in your team mates. Brisbane is too often too easy to play against far too often. I think player attitudes will change if they are given the opportunity to earn respect of their peers.

Melbourne spent some time getting some strong over the ball players and it hasn't been an easy transition or have achieved any pinnacle yet, but they are in a much better place now than where they were, there is expectation now at the club for better.

It is tough for their supporters, it is daunting because as far away as they seem, they are even further away because they haven't even begun the transition towards hard to play against and that is no overnight achievement and nothing that priority picks will help you achieve.

The PP Brisbane got last year should have been withheld for when there is evidence they have gotten themselves right internally. If they have then the PP should have been a first rounder. It really should have came this year. The Lions need as much top end talent as they can get. But its also vital to get things in order so that talent remains at the club.

Got ourselves right internally?
- virtual AFL appointee Greg Swann as CEO: has managed to stop the massive financial losses, signed several major sponsors, amongst other achievements
- virtual AFL appointee David Noble as GM of Football: one of the most capable football administrators around, has already made big changes throughout the football department in processes, professionalism as well as better list management
- virtual AFL appointee Chris Fagan as senior coach: experienced, understands high performance and success via his Hawthorn experience, teaching background, good communicator, managing to just about get the whole playing list buying into his philosophy, clear game plan
- welfare department, beefed up since 2013 and now the most well resourced in the competition
- living arrangements designed to make new draftees feel comfortable and included, with options of staying with good host families or young guys who are mates living together, with frequent input from welfare team
- training and administration base: been on the look out for location and planning for about 5 years, whispers have it that we are finally close to sealing the deal on this one
- good recruiting team headed by Stephen Conole: taking charge since 2013, nailing most early and middle draft picks
- Lions academy's structure has been improved over the past year, aimed at developing more top level talent

What else can we do to "get ourselves right"?

Got ourselves right internally?
- virtual AFL appointee Greg Swann as CEO: has managed to stop the massive financial losses, signed several major sponsors, amongst other achievements
- virtual AFL appointee David Noble as GM of Football: one of the most capable football administrators around, has already made big changes throughout the football department in processes, professionalism as well as better list management
- virtual AFL appointee Chris Fagan as senior coach: experienced, understands high performance and success via his Hawthorn experience, teaching background, good communicator, managing to just about get the whole playing list buying into his philosophy, clear game plan
- welfare department, beefed up since 2013 and now the most well resourced in the competition
- living arrangements designed to make new draftees feel comfortable and included, with options of staying with good host families or young guys who are mates living together, with frequent input from welfare team
- training and administration base: been on the look out for location and planning for about 5 years, whispers have it that we are finally close to sealing the deal on this one
- good recruiting team headed by Stephen Conole: taking charge since 2013, nailing most early and middle draft picks
- Lions academy's structure has been improved over the past year, aimed at developing more top level talent

What else can we do to "get ourselves right"
?

When you got a PP there was little evidence. I think it should have been withheld till there is conclusive evidence Brisbane have turned the corner. Just my opinion. If they have then it should have been a better pick. Its all good and well to appoint these guys, but it is another thing to wait and determine whether it is all functioning smoothly. I just think the AFL should have waited a little longer is all.

When you got a PP there was little evidence. I think it should have been withheld till there is conclusive evidence Brisbane have turned the corner. Just my opinion. If they have then it should have been a better pick. Its all good and well to appoint these guys, but it is another thing to wait and determine whether it is all functioning smoothly. I just think the AFL should have waited a little longer is all.

Don't disagree with that. However it is often better to act timely rather than acting late and having to fix a bigger mess later on.

Ok lets put this thread on hold till the end of the season and see how the results look in the second half of the season. Their is a school of thought that we will be better in the second half of the season once we grasp the Fagan gameplan a bit more and our kids have more experience at AFL level.

I really don't think we can decide whether the Lions need a priority pick or not till the end of the season.
Agree lets see what happens this weekend

They had something similar. Eddie had a campaign and convinced the AFL to get rid of it. You could argue Eddie is soemwhat responsible for the situation the Lions are in and I bet he loves that he has caused the Brisbane Lions to be a basket case.

Eddie does a good job looking after the interests of the pies. For that, good on him.

The AFL needs to look after the game and achieve their own objectives which includes the expansion into rugby homeland.

Given Eddie and the AFL have different objectives, I struggle to see why the AFL listen to Eddie.

Unbelievable

Eddie does a good job looking after the interests of the pies. For that, good on him.

The AFL needs to look after the game and achieve their own objectives which includes the expansion into rugby homeland.

Given Eddie and the AFL have different objectives, I struggle to see why the AFL listen to Eddie.

Unbelievable

They always do though, and they often give him what he wants as he uses his position to create fake outrage.

Back