Brisbane- Another priority pick this year?

Brisbane- Another priority pick this year?

• No.

• Yes- Start of first round/after their first pick?

• Yes- Pick 11 ie. straight after the non-finalists.

• Yes- End of first round.

• A highly indignant NO! not till hell freezes over.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks. That makes sense. Just my opinion, but you probably could have matched anyway though. Pick 34 is only 345 points for you guys. You'd easily make up that deficit using some low-end pick trades. You may even end up with a truckload of points anyway. Rockliff, Schache will both get you very good draft picks, and your own will be at the pointy end. Brissy may even be packed up and heading to the bar by Round 3 - about the time Hawks are having their first pick ;)

We don't select which picks has the deficit taken, it simply the corresponding round in the following year, so making lowend trades doesn't really help us. The main point is we didn't rate him that high, and it meant potentially taking a significant deficit on a reasonable pick. If Watson develops, we may look back at this as the wrong move, but given how we rated him at the time, seemed like a rational decision.

Yep ideally we're in and out early, with a couple of non academy selection followed by matching

Whether we lose Schache or not or get a PP I am as confident as I have been since the glory years that we are on the right track with Swann/Noble/Fagan on board. There is a lot going on re the coaching/welfare/development setups that the vast majority of the general footballing public and most of the southern media would not be aware of, an announcement re our new adminsitration/training/AFLW game day field is also imminent.

We are finally heading in the right direction.

No disagreement but when will the facilities be up and running? These things don't happen overnight and if it's going to be 2 years away, the club will continue to lose players.

How the fck it got to this is beyond me re facilities.

No disagreement but when will the facilities be up and running? These things don't happen overnight and if it's going to be 2 years away, the club will continue to lose players.

If it weren't for the government funding being pulled, the facilities would have been completed by now.

The facilities is a long sorry story unfortunately, we have an over 100 page thread on it on our board. The council has everything but said it is a goer and Gill met with the state government last week. It will be announced shortly although even when announced the construction is going to be about 2 years as you say. Ready to go for the 2019 season all going well, fingers crossed. We've had a few false dawns on this one though.

The facilities is a long sorry story unfortunately, we have an over 100 page thread on it on our board. The council has everything but said it is a goer and Gill met with the state government last week. It will be announced shortly although even when announced the construction is going to be about 2 years as you say. Ready to go for the 2019 season all going well, fingers crossed. We've had a few false dawns on this one though.

Even the promise/guarantee of new facilities in the next year or two might help a bit with player retention.

When building new facilities though Brisbane, and every other club really, need to future proof he facilities, meaning that those facilities can be easily upgraded when technology advances, rather than having to knock it down in 15 years time and buildings from scratch again.

Just going to put something from left field out there but there could be some merit in it and brisbane supporters just think about the positives before just going off saying Nahhhh not him and he's this or that.

IF Josh Schache leaves and thats an if, Brisbane will get a top 10 pick and will have the opportunity to draft a good queensland kid and move on , If he doesnt leave now he probably will later so not point in worrying about that but my real point is that Brisbane need mature players that make them competitive and can guide the young players .

Sydney swans have a problem with Salary cap and will struggle to keep Reid and other players and really need to off load a player thats taking up cap space
Kurt Tippet should be the player that brisbane should look to bring into the club for 2-3-4 years until things settle and there are many benefits with this

Brisbane have cap space and heaps
Kurt Tippett is a mature player thats quality and can not only teach and protect the young KPF but also provide relief for ruck whilst allowing the kids to all play.

Wont want to leave as he will have 3-4 years left , He is from south port . But more importantly he is a quality player that will improve Brisbane now
Also wont cost much in draft picks probably something around brisbane's 3rd pick

Really think this makes alot of sens

With North Melbourne winning today the Lions are now 2 games and a substantial percentage behind 17th placed Hawthorn. We would need to win a minimum of 3 more games to avoid the spoon and that is without the teams directly above us winning another game.

Looking at the draw I can not see a realistic chance of a win until round 18 v Carlton at the gabba and even that's a stretch with how well the blues have been playing.

If we have a one win season on the back of a 3 win and 4 win seasons and don't get a PP the AFL mise well just get rid of the PP all together.

To me you move (so do a lot of draftees) get a game due to the state of the list are in the long term plans/rather than get drafted to the premiers/a contending club and not get a game for 2 years before delisting. Live in a great location and make a shitload of money playing footy without the stress of the media or being recognised every 2 minutes.

What is so bad about Qld? I don't get it. (It must be something within the club).

Off the top of my head:
- our facilities are terrible - we get treated like second class citizens by the Gabba staff and spend most of the offseason at a basic suburban oval, you have to move between different locations (e.g. we don't have our own pool so players have to travel elsewhere for that), and our gym is so small it can't hold all our players at once.
- crowds are small due to lack of interest in footy in Queensland, particularly when the Lions are poor. Sure, the pressure's off, but it sucks when all your TAC cup mates are debuting in front of a 40k plus crowd whilst you're playing in a half empty stadium.
- not so much an issue for draftees, but for more experienced recruits, there's limited media/sponsorship opportunities in Queensland, making us less appealing to those wanting a career in the media or to bulk out their contract with sponsorship money.
- the standard of the NEAFL is far below that of the VFL, SANFL and WAFL (and most of our non-listed NEAFL players are 17 year old academy kids), which can limit your development.

That's not to say there's not good things about playing footy in Queensland (great weather, less public scrutiny, more opportunities to get a game in your early years), or that we should be absolved from responsibility from our previous poor choices as a club, but it's a lot more complicated than just "fix your culture".

You make good points
Thier mostly tangential to the issues of the PP which is because we are s**t.

I'm really interested in the external income made during a playing career. Because we brissy supporters all think that extra external income is a big factor. The AFL has to tick off all these deals, but no idea what other restrictions are around it. so would love to see some stats of the differences external earnings between states.

We talk about equalisation surely there shouldn't be much difference in that.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but has anyone seen Brisbanes training facilities? I watched the Lions train about 6 years ago (not sure if they have been upgraded since then) but it was genuinely no better than the u12-u14's facilities I had as a JUNIOR footballer. And that was a school oval and change rooms.

They need financial help off the field to improve this situation, it's no wonder the players want to leave.

Feel free to correct me if they actually have state-of-the-art facilities now like every other AFL club has. In which case, ignore this post.
I reckon this is a huge factor.

Iirc Qld govt doesn't want to chip in so AFL aren't either. Brisbane aren't financially able to upgrade on their own.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether we lose Schache or not or get a PP I am as confident as I have been since the glory years that we are on the right track with Swann/Noble/Fagan on board. There is a lot going on re the coaching/welfare/development setups that the vast majority of the general footballing public and most of the southern media would not be aware of, an announcement re our new adminsitration/training/AFLW game day field is also imminent.

We are finally heading in the right direction.
Don't count your chickens with Swann. Was woeful at Carlton. Too busy with long lunches. Not much got done.

Hope he is better for you.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was enough passion to get the club to back-down on a logo on the jumpers.

So why is there not enough passion to force any other changes?

Actually, when you made your pitch to the club the members collectively rejected it. Apologies

Brisbane shouldn't get any concessions. You just know their fans will go straight from "Please sir, may I have some more?" to arrogant worldbeaters the moment they start winning games, with no recognition of the leg-up they received. Us footy fans just went through this with Sydney, and Brisbane fans are even more petulant.

If the club hates losing so much, they'll find a way to win. At the moment, seems like they are ok with losing.

There was enough passion to get the club to back-down on a logo on the jumpers.

So why is there not enough passion to force any other changes?
Slightly different JD, one is a clubs supporters going to its own club.

The other is a small fraction of the Queensland community requesting funds from the state government for a sport that is a mere blimp on the radar. Not many votes in being generous with the public purse to the Lions.

Yer, it's so simple when it's put like that. We might have to tag Fagan, Noble and Swan into this thread.

Our administration is so incompetent though, as Jeffdunne has established.

Back