Competitions Brisbane board mock draft - Round 4

Remove this Banner Ad

pick 39 GWS - Taylin Duman

** The below is thanks to Quigley ***

Taylin Duman

There are a few rangy outside types that are getting talked up in this draft and for the most part I would have Duman up with virtually any of them. He is still raw and has a long way to go but he is 192cm tall and has shown good development over the year. He has worked hard on things which needed work on and although he is still pretty raw there looks to be a lot to work with.

On the outside Duman moves nicely. He is a balanced, loose limbed runner who flows well. In stop and go situations he is not great with his change of directions but overall I thought his lateral movement looked good when he was in space on the wing. He did not test well in the agility test but I do think his functional positional agility is good and he is not a guy who I have noticed being tackled a lot. It is observable in the Combine results that Duman tested better in the straight line testing. Like Battle, Duman had noticeable better endurance testing in the 3km rather than the beep test. 10.48 in the 3km was solid but 13.3 in the beep test was on the poor side. The constant stopping and changing of direction I think caught up with Duman there. He needs to work on this and his endurance generally given that if he plays on a wing at AFL level he is going to need to cover a lot of ground and do so quickly.

One of the things Duman has worked on a lot this year has been his pace and all his work was rewarded with a very nice time at the Combine in the 20m. He ran a very nice 2.93 which put him in the top 10 of those tested. Where he has come from though I think was evident in his repeat sprint time. 26 for the repeat sprint put him in the 45th percentile which is lower than you would want to see, especially for someone capable of running a 2.93 and wants to play on a wing.

Skills wise, Duman lacks a bit zip in both his handballs and kicks at this stage and does need to work on improving his hurt factor. He almost invariably goes with little chip passes with his kicks and he needs to lift his eyes a bit and assess the whole field a bit more. He tends to concentrate on getting the ball to a target quickly rather than moving the ball in a way that furthers the aim of actually kicking goals. That is not to say that Duman does not bring out a very nice kick every now and then and those low drilled kicks do entice you with thoughts of what he could become if they became the norm rather than the exception.

Duman is a good mark on the wing. His vertical leaping is not great but with his height it doesn't really need to be. He watches the ball into his hands well and for a guy who is still very thin he is quite strong in the air. He will jump strongly at the ball although he is not a big flyer and if he cannot mark the ball he often does a good job of controlling the fall of the ball to allow himself or his teammates to have the best chance of recovering the spillage. His balance in the air is good and he keeps his feet well on landing.

Whilst he is pretty much only an outside player at this stage, Duman does on occasions do some nice work inside and has good awareness of where others are around him. He is prone to fumbling a bit in tight but I think this could be improved with work. I do like the way he works for others inside. He shepherds and generally creates space nicely for teammates to clear the ball. Bontempelli does a fair bit of this and whilst I am not seeing an inside game like Bont has it is encouraging to see him having this kind of awareness.

I am seeing a lot of upside with Duman and would be picking him a lot on size and potential at the moment. Teams will be looking at what he could become rather than what he is now and with the love affair of tall mids going on he is well positioned to get taken higher than his production strictly warrants.

Last edited:

pick 40- Fremantle.

Jacob Allison.
193cm. 73kg.

rationale- rated by most at the start of the year as a top 10 prospect, has been shuffled around position wise this year. hopefully this season was an aberration, i still see him as a player with a high ceiling, settle him into a defined role and he may regain some confidence and that potential could be realized. could be the slider of this draft crop.

next up is jjami15

Pick 41 - Joe Atley

Big bodied inside midfielder. Behind a few others in the Vic C team but for the Bendigo Pioneers was their leader. Also got a chance to play in Geelongs VFL team a couple of times and stood up well. No elite traits but a workhorse in the guts.

Pick 44 - Collingwood

Zachary Sproule

After taking a key defender, the focus is on the other end of the ground. Sproule has shown a little in defence, but it's up forward I'd expect him to play. At 196cm he's got the scope to chop out in the ruck. The attractive things about Sproule's game are his endurance and ability to read the ball in the air. Things he'll have to work on are decision-making (particularly if he plays as a high forward) and his aggression. Some sprint training wouldn't go astray either. Probably the safest comparison might be Port's Westhoff - his good is game-changing, but then will tend to disappear. The decent thing is that if doesn't make it as a forward he can be thrown down back.

cheekyLionsFan is up now

GWS Pick 45

** thanks to Quigley **

Declan Watson

Watson seems to be falling down the draft lists and the way things are heading someone could end up with a very big bargain. He is a Lions academy player but with the Lions having a large gap after their fourth pick at 22 there might be a real chance of another team grabbing him. I like Watson and think he looks like a prototypical modern defender who will work very well in an AFL zone defence. He is capable in a shut-down role but I do not think this is his strength.

Watson is a very good judge of the ball in the air for a key defender and is at his best when he has the flexibility to play in space and back himself to get to the ball. When he has that space it is noticeable how frequently he is the guy in the best position to mark the ball. He is not put off when others in the contest gets out of position and he will back himself in. His hands are very good for a KPD and he can clunk his marks. He shows good awareness for when to mark and when to spoil. Personally I would rate Watson as the best intercept marking tall defender in this draft.

The Combine results would have been a disappointment for Watson and, for me, things didn't really align with what I have seen of him on the field. Like quite a few he measured short and I think the 194cm he was listed as at the Champs is more likely to be accurate. He looks to have decent size. I note that his arms measured long and his reach was in at the 87th percentile which seems right. I think he has enough height to play KPD at AFL level. Pace was another area where watching him play he seems to have more than enough. Perhaps it is just that he reacts quicker than others but in game situations he looks pretty quick. The sprint results at the Combine were a bit confusing. He managed only a 3.11 for the 20m (disappointing but not disastrous) which was in the bottom 15% of those tested. In the 30m repeat sprint though he was in the top 30% which is where I had been hoping to see him in the 20m as well.

His agility test was also poor which you do not want to see from a KPD. A lot of guys who do not train for the agility test do poorly in it and I would hope this was the case for Watson. He is not a guy who seems to have trouble recovering in game situations. His endurance testing was pretty middle of the pack and that seems pretty reflective in his game tape.

I think Watson has suffered in many eye's because of he had his worst game of the year in the televised game against WA. So there are all the highlights out there of him missing targets time and again. I have seen him 7 or 8 times over the year and I think that game really misrepresented the quality of his disposal skills. Watson is an excellent kick for a KP and has been the designated kick in taker for most of the teams he has played with. He is good in that role and you can see the quality of his kicks. By way of comparison, Perryman took a lot of kick ins as well and I would say that Watson was far superior in this role. In general play he reads the play well and is not afraid to take the tight options. This can sometimes result in turnovers but I do like his confidence and in most games the results are good and he can put his te

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PICK 46 Sydney Swans - Issac Cummings
I actually thought this kid was already gone and had to look a few times to double and triple check he was still available. I see as much talent in Cummings as I do Alex Witherden who goes a lot earlier. So I am pretty happy to get Cummings here. Swans need to add some defenders in this draft and a HB of Cummings class will help replace Mcveigh and/or let Mills move into the middle down the track.

Cummings is a great HB flanker who provides plenty of rebound run who often gets involved in attacking plays. A feature of his game his his kicking which I view as elite which will greatly appeal to the swans as I dont think they are blessed with a great deal of HB talent coming through as seen with Mills sent back. Defensively he reads the play well and he quite good at intercepting.

Overall, I think the swans will look for a HB flanker somewhere in the draft and Issac Cummings at 46 is great value

PICK 46 Sydney Swans - Issac Cummings
I actually thought this kid was already gone and had to look a few times to double and triple check he was still available. I see as much talent in Cummings as I do Alex Witherden who goes a lot earlier. So I am pretty happy to get Cummings here. Swans need to add some defenders in this draft and a HB of Cummings class will help replace Mcveigh and/or let Mills move into the middle down the track.

Cummings is a great HB flanker who provides plenty of rebound run who often gets involved in attacking plays. A feature of his game his his kicking which I view as elite which will greatly appeal to the swans as I dont think they are blessed with a great deal of HB talent coming through as seen with Mills sent back. Defensively he reads the play well and he quite good at intercepting.

Overall, I think the swans will look for a HB flanker somewhere in the draft and Issac Cummings at 46 is great value
Great pick. I have a sneaky suspicion we might use 22 on him in the real draft

Melbourne actually has quite a good list and look like playing finals in the next 2 year but wasn't sure which way to go so went for some inside grunt at my first pick
Cory Lyons- DOB; 31/5/98 Ht:181cm 72kg Sandingham Dragons
A ripper kid in every sense of the word. Really understands the game and break it down and talks about the tactics and the stature of it all. I thought he had an outstanding season and was able to play well at the Nationals and in the latter part of the season. He deserves a chance at the next level. Credit goes to Sandingham Dragons Talent manager Ryan O'Connor

Last edited:
Carlton

Pick 48 - Bailey Morrish (186cm, 76kg defender/midfielder from VIC)

After losing Z.Tuohy in the off season, the blues need some medium sized defenders. Bailey fits the bill well IMO. In defence he can play tall and small. He is a good kick too.

"That's all I got to say about that":D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back