General Bombers Talk Brisbane Bombers

Remove this Banner Ad

They could be called the Brisbane Busy honeybees for all I care.

I thought would be important for EFC, its supporters and AFL do defend the Bombers name but looks like not the case which is ok, guess different point of views and today’s administration might not hold it as damaging compared to that of 2011.

Radio said by 2023 new NRL teams will be entering and soon few will be making bids, number coming from QLD. Ipswich Jets sounds good, unholds traditions as RAAF bases nearby.

Remember this from a few years back.

Couldn’t give a s**t. I don’t know why there’s ever a fuss about nicknames. I wouldn’t even care if there was another one in the AFL. It’s just a nickname. Wouldn’t have been a drama had Port Adelaide stayed as the Magpies I don’t think... as long as they have the right clash jumper then who gives a s**t.

Maybe there’s something small we could do, give their members a free ticket to our game when we play in Qld or something. Might as well try to make something of it.

I really don’t see how a partnership works. Essendon supporters who enjoy rugby will support Storm over Brisbane Bombers. Brisbane locals won’t switch to Essendon over Lions or Suns.

I think NRL should just go established team in QLD, like AFL did with Port Adelaide. Fan base is already there and so are facilities, avoid possible legal proceedings, everyone is happy.

The most disappointing thing is that they couldn’t conjure up a unique name. Look at the most recent expansions. Titans, Suns, Giants. All been done, all extremely lacklustre. I’d much rather a team come up with a ridiculous name like the Vegas Golden Knights have in the NHL recently rather than recycling another name.

The most disappointing thing is that they couldn’t conjure up a unique name. Look at the most recent expansions. Titans, Suns, Giants. All been done, all extremely lacklustre. I’d much rather a team come up with a ridiculous name like the Vegas Golden Knights have in the NHL recently rather than recycling another name.

Even Dockers, Power entering the league to. I think Ipswich Jets is the way to go, no problems with Newcastle Jets as Ipswich Jets already established team and upholding history in the region with the RAAF base.

Brisbane Bombers was voted in by fans, but which fan base have they got yet? I enjoy watching NRL as well and would like personally if Bombers name was left out as I see it iconic in a way for AFL. I’m sure if we had a new Tassie team and decided to call the the ‘Hobart Broncos’ the NRL & Brisbane team in NRL would take some exception.

May be more to do with Essendon starting an NBL team.

Think about Classic afl Bombers, Esport Bombers, Nbl bombers. A bomber sporting brand. But then you have this rogue Nrl bombers with the coach taking shits in the hotel hallway.

May be more to do with Essendon starting an NBL team.

Think about Classic afl Bombers, Esport Bombers, Nbl bombers. A bomber sporting brand. But then you have this rogue Nrl bombers with the coach taking shits in the hotel hallway.
Is that really what happened? Most people just leave a bad review on trip advisor....

Is that really what happened? Most people just leave a bad review on trip advisor....

It definitely happened, and it will 100% happen again if we let these mother*ers come here and ******* * our brand name.

Sweet logo but.

Doesn't really matter

Canterbury Bulldogs and Western Bulldogs
Wests Tigers and Richmond Tigers
Manly Sea Eagles and West Coast Eagles

I personally can't see a new club in Brisbane...... i'd prefer the Ipswich Jets get the NRL licence and play at Suncorp
Well for a start those are animals, which you can't really copyright.

A brief google search leads me to about 10 other established "Bombers" teams in the world (I am sure there are more smaller ones, kids teams etc)

It makes sense that we would want to hold the rights somewhat to such a unique name in Australia at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_(disambiguation)

Well for a start those are animals, which you can't really copyright.

A brief google search leads me to about 10 other established "Bombers" teams in the world (I am sure there are more smaller ones, kids teams etc)

It makes sense that we would want to hold the rights somewhat to such a unique name in Australia at least.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bomber_(disambiguation)
Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Eww

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After living in Germany for 2 years, and having visited some of the sites of WW2 bombing raids both here and also in England, I am surprised that any newish team would go with the name 'Bombers'. Sure it was a valid and probably necessary military strategy adopted by all sides, but hundreds of thousands of innocent people were killed.
When essendon took the name aviation was a hot new technology and the human cost of total warfare with this technology had not been fully revealed (and it was a big improvement on the old essendon name), but now? Why not just go with Brisbane Civilian Killers?
If northern rugby league ever hoped to expand the game to europe, and I reckon that NRL would actually have a great shot at achieving market appeal in Germany (NFL games are already broadcast with german commentary), it might be better to go with the Brisbane Aeronauts or Brisbane Pilots or something.

Absolutely badass logo though.

Soap box aside, sorry:

Since I'm mentioning expanding the game, and i also believe that Germans would LOVE AFL (everyone I show it to does), I have to point out that charging 150 bucks for a Watch AFL membership that gets you a shitty stream provides a huge barrier to generating foreign interest in the game. The money that the AFL makes from this sub-par service is surely outpaced on what they spend on the single China game. They are blocking themselves by trying to expand the game in the most difficult way they can, and ignoring the easy win of letting curious people see it online. It is especially dumb when you consider that any Aussie who is determined to watch can just jump through some hoops and stream it from an english sports channel anyway. Charging 150 bucks is only blocking the curious people who want to try AFL out for the first time.

The NFL gives the german sports channel ProsiebenMaxx the rights to broadcast 2 games a week for free, and the NFL is getting a good foot in the German market. Germans are hungry for sport that is a faster pace than soccer. If the AFL is serious about expanding the game, they should do the same and give minor broadcast rights to foreign stations. In Germany and the US as well.. the only reason that we aren't on track to be a global game is that the AFL is blocking itself for what, 50k/year revenue?

After living in Germany for 2 years, and having visited some of the sites of WW2 bombing raids both here and also in England, I am surprised that any newish team would go with the name 'Bombers'. Sure it was a valid and probably necessary military strategy adopted by all sides, but hundreds of thousands of innocent people were killed.
When essendon took the name aviation was a hot new technology and the human cost of total warfare with this technology had not been fully revealed (and it was a big improvement on the old essendon name), but now? Why not just go with Brisbane Civilian Killers?
If northern rugby league ever hoped to expand the game to europe, and I reckon that NRL would actually have a great shot at achieving market appeal in Germany (NFL games are already broadcast with german commentary), it might be better to go with the Brisbane Aeronauts or Brisbane Pilots or something.

Absolutely badass logo though.
For us I think it was to do with our location right on top of an airport. And it being a badass logo...

Not sure about Brisbane's claim on air infrastructure, but I think "Ipswich Jets" were mentioned, which might make more sense (or Ipswich Bombers... the actual name doesn't bother me).

Soap box aside, sorry:

Since I'm mentioning expanding the game, and i also believe that Germans would LOVE AFL (everyone I show it to does), I have to point out that charging 150 bucks for a Watch AFL membership that gets you a shitty stream provides a huge barrier to generating foreign interest in the game. The money that the AFL makes from this sub-par service is surely outpaced on what they spend on the single China game. They are blocking themselves by trying to expand the game in the most difficult way they can, and ignoring the easy win of letting curious people see it online. It is especially dumb when you consider that any Aussie who is determined to watch can just jump through some hoops and stream it from an english sports channel anyway. Charging 150 bucks is only blocking the curious people who want to try AFL out for the first time.

The NFL gives the german sports channel ProsiebenMaxx the rights to broadcast 2 games a week for free, and the NFL is getting a good foot in the German market. Germans are hungry for sport that is a faster pace than soccer. If the AFL is serious about expanding the game, they should do the same and give minor broadcast rights to foreign stations. In Germany and the US as well.. the only reason that we aren't on track to be a global game is that the AFL is blocking itself for what, 50k/year revenue?

I actually think Watch AFL is great value - Get every H and A game, all finals, pre-season games, weekly shows like AFL 360 and On the Couch, plenty of one-off specials like Hall of Fame night - I find the streams to be fine, though going back 3 years ago the streams were unreliable.

I actually think Watch AFL is great value - Get every H and A game, all finals, pre-season games, weekly shows like AFL 360 and On the Couch, plenty of one-off specials like Hall of Fame night - I find the streams to be fine, though going back 3 years ago the streams were unreliable.
Yeah fine for you and me, but what about the millions of potential AFL-converts that would become fans if they could actually get access to watching the game for the first time?
All the afl needs to do is take the 2 lowest rated matches a week and give them away for free to foreign sports broadcasters, or show them free online (so i can send German friends the link).
The NFL has done exactly this in Germany, and i now see Germans wearing Pats hats everyday. I saw a cleveland browns flag hanging out a window by the Tübingen castle last week! AFL is losing ground because they arent even competing, because they insist on a pay wall that keeps new people out.
It is the best and easiest bang for the buck option they could take if the aim is to expand the game

Yeah fine for you and me, but what about the millions of potential AFL-converts that would become fans if they could actually get access to watching the game for the first time?
All the afl needs to do is take the 2 lowest rated matches a week and give them away for free to foreign sports broadcasters, or show them free online (so i can send German friends the link).
The NFL has done exactly this in Germany, and i now see Germans wearing Pats hats everyday. I saw a cleveland browns flag hanging out a window by the Tübingen castle last week! AFL is losing ground because they arent even competing, because they insist on a pay wall that keeps new people out.
It is the best and easiest bang for the buck option they could take if the aim is to expand the game

You can watch games on You Tube and guide your friends in that direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back