Brisbane Car Fire Deaths

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
I don't know if there's anything wrong with the family courts. I'd do some research but I don't want to get depressed.

I did hear Raph Epstein saying that it's a myth that fathers are discriminated against because only 3% are denied access. But how does he conclude that 3% is a low number, or a fair number? Just because it's a percentage that you can count on one hand doesn't mean it's not a problem. And there could be other ways the system is broken too.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
While I agree with you I think writing off the father as an evil monster is ignoring something. The phrase 'Evil Monster' implies it can be dealt with or put away in the closet under supernatural evil acts.

I'm not religious so I don't think of it as evil, but I do wonder what caused this behaviour and it should be looked in to. Psychological problems, drugs, any number of things could have flicked off in his brain. Don't get me wrong as I am not forgiving or understanding what's gone on in Brisbane, but I'm not going to appease myself by thinking it was just some evil monster.

That makes no sense.

This. I likened it last night to a PTSD incident.
PTSD doesn’t excuse someone murdering people. Nothing at all does.
But it can EXPLAIN it to some degree and in most cases - and probably this one as well and others like it - the perpetrator wasn’t ALWAYS the person he was when he did it. The issues that lead to someone becoming capable of that level of evil can be handled better.

Again, doesn’t excuse it. It’s an act of malevolence that condemns the individual to a special level of hell.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't know if there's anything wrong with the family courts. I'd do some research but I don't want to get depressed.

I did hear Raph Epstein saying that it's a myth that fathers are discriminated against because only 3% are denied access. But how does he conclude that 3% is a low number, or a fair number? Just because it's a percentage that you can count on one hand doesn't mean it's not a problem. And there could be other ways the system is broken too.

It’s not just denial of access either
It’s limiting access or putting conditions on access as well.

From my own experience, recently I went through some self harm issues - not suicide related but disturbing nonetheless - during a protracted period of fighting with my wife as we were working out a separation etc.

As a consequence i was told by her that the kids weren’t coming to my place anymore and any time I spent with them was to be in public or at her house. Many, myself included, see that as a way of her controlling me. She has had issues of her own but because I don’t feel like she could cope if I imposed similar restrictions on her, I just go with the flow and be dictated to.

Now I’m lucky enough in that I can still see my kids more or less whenever I want but when there are restrictions or limitations on my freedoms, it doesn’t become proper access, it becomes access on someone else’s terms and that can play with your mind.

Far as I can see, there's no indication he was denied access to his kids.

Going through the family court can break people though, emotionally and financially. My advice would be not to do it, if you can't sort your break up out like grown ups with the kids best interests as primary concern, appoint a professional to monitor and mediate. I've been through divorce with kids and a partner more than up for high end violence add a vindictive streak but I kept our business out of the courts, away from lawyers and the added pressure of us both losing a heap of money was removed.

Leave ego, entitlement and any sense of ownership over others out as well.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
The guy planned and carried out the murder of his ex-wife and children. Then killed himself to avoid the consequences of his actions.
I haven't read anywhere that he suffered any mental health issues.
There is evidence though that the wife knew that he was dangerous and made an effort to start a new life for herself.
He snuffed that out though.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
While I agree with you I think writing off the father as an evil monster is ignoring something. The phrase 'Evil Monster' implies it can be dealt with or put away in the closet under supernatural evil acts.

I'm not religious so I don't think of it as evil, but I do wonder what caused this behaviour and it should be looked in to. Psychological problems, drugs, any number of things could have flicked off in his brain. Don't get me wrong as I am not forgiving or understanding what's gone on in Brisbane, but I'm not going to appease myself by thinking it was just some evil monster.

That makes no sense.
I think men already have enough worries coming forward when they think they have mental health issues.
Linking behaviour like this with men's mental health doesn't help.
Men with mental health problems do not behave like this.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
Latest reports is that he was a control freak and last Boxing day he kidnapped one of the kids and taken her interstate
He's turning out to be quite a piece of work.
I'm feeling really sad for the woman's parents.
Have lost their daughter and their grand children at the hands of a *******.

I think men already have enough worries coming forward when they think they have mental health issues.
Linking behaviour like this with men's mental health doesn't help.
Men with mental health problems do not behave like this.

I'd have to check the stats again but I'm pretty sure if you have a mental illness or disability, you're more likely to become a victim of violence rather than the perpetrator.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
To get back at the woman who had left him he decided to hurt her by taking from her what she cherished the most - her children.
I don't think he cared for her or the kids anymore, this act was purely for himself. I bet he fantasized about it for days prior to committing it.
I agree he has consciously chosen the hardest possible death for his family. An act of pure spite not madness. Selfish evil coward couldn't even burn with his kids.

That makes no sense.
Nope, evil monster. Regardless of the circumstances and problems he may have had, he has intentionally murdered his wife and three helpless young children first making sure they were alight and dying before taking his own life. That's premeditated first degree murder no different to any serial killer or terrorist. Evil.

More details about him.

Controlling and jealous guy. She was pretty young when she met him, just 20 yrs old

Ridiculous comment from Detective....

”Or is it an instance of a husband being driven too far by issues that he’s suffered by certain circumstances into committing acts of this form?”

Ridiculous comment from Detective....

There won't be any charges and no court case to prosecute, the guy who burned his children to death is dead so WTAF was his point? It's a 1950's mindset that's given any narc going through a break up a sense of righteousness in violent acting out.

Oct 3, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Cubs
There won't be any charges and no court case to prosecute, the guy who burned his children to death is dead so WTAF was his point? It's a 1950's mindset that's given any narc going through a break up a sense of righteousness in violent acting out.
His point was that in Marriage, violence against a partner can be sometimes be justified.
This is a shocking admission from a member of the same institution that endorses Marriage.

Back