Brisbane Clean Out Begins? Matthews & Leppitsch gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

How are Carlton and Richmond struggling? Why do they need assistance? Spare me.

Carlton vs Hawthorn 2015 - Carlton 4.11 (35) to 27.11 (173)

Carlton vs Brisbane - 2016 - Brisbane (the team that got beaten by Port by about 100 points and let's not forget that Port racked up 25 goals in the process) beats Carlton. Think about that- the team that needs all this assistance has found a worst team - Carlton.

Carlton - 2016 - 9 losses in a row including St Kilda thrashing them by 12 goals

Richmond - played in 3 finals series since before Moses was born.

The AFL can put some money into Carlton and Richmond's "coaching development" or "debt repayment" or whatever other euphemism they want to utilise that they use for Brisbane. There are more than just one struggling club.
How do you measure struggling clubs? How do you measure pain?
Finals? wins? financial losses? combination of all?

Carlton vs Hawthorn 2015 - Carlton 4.11 (35) to 27.11 (173)

Carlton vs Brisbane - 2016 - Brisbane (the team that got beaten by Port by about 100 points and racked up 25 goals) beats Carlton.

Carlton - 2016 - 9 losses in a row including St Kilda thrashing them by 12 goals

Richmond - played in 3 finals series since before Moses was born.

The AFL can put some money into Carlton and Richmond's "coaching development" or "debt repayment" or whatever other euphemism they want to utilise that they use for Brisbane. There are more than just one struggling club.
How do you measure struggling clubs? How do you measure pain?
Finals? wins? financial losses? combination of all?

But Carlton and Richmond's problems are that they're just crap. It's got nothing to do with a lack of finances. Richmond and Carlton have won 8 and 6 games respectively this year, neither would've qualified for a priority pick under the old rules, Richmond have played finals for the last 3 seasons and Carlton did for 3 years before that before they thought they were a chance at a flag and axed Ratten for Malthouse. Neither of them have anywhere close to the issues Brisbane have (or Melbourne had in 2013).

Ratten had a 50% win record at Carlton and took them to a couple of finals.

Leppa is at 21% and has never been close to finals.

Pretty different I would have thought.
True but no club was chasing Ratten when Carlton sacked him.

Most would have been laughed at for even thinking it.

Ratten was seen as a failure because he was given everything (early picks, Judd, Pratt's money, etc). He under-performed at Carlton as much as Leppa has at Brisbane.

They need Roos - I doubt he'd do it but they'd be derelict in their duties if they didn't go hard for him.

Next best option probably Bomber Thompson though he may be eyeing the Tigers job.

They already went hard for Roos, that was a big part of the reason Voss's exit was so messy. He knocked them back at went to your mob instead (ironically enough a move that some may suggest was paid for by the AFL, which worked to the disadvantage of the club they now face bailing out).

Roos is not going to happen.

...and Bomber Thompson is a tainted, bitter nutbar who still hasn't gotten over Essendon dumping him. He is not a good choice for anyone.

Afl removing the going home allowance has been a complete disaster, afl head office should forgo their million$ bonuses to pay off the debt and once the ship is righted, re-instigate some policies to allow the club to compete.

Ed McGuire will be smiling though, he campaigned hard for this 'equality'

Give it a rest.

Brisbane has had players like Beams, Bell and Christensen choose to come to them, for family reasons for the first 2.
Those 3 were good players at their previous clubs.

Then they also recently got highly rated juniors like of Hipwood and Keays from their academy, who have both looked quite good this year.

Brisbane are crap because of their own management, not the AFL removing the 'going home allowance'.

It's somewhat ironic that Ratten gets touted as a replacement for Leppa, when Justin's coaching career so far somewhat parallels Ratten's to this point.

If Leppa does get the axe, he'll be a very qualified assistant, so he'll probably go to a successful club that wins flags and in time will be touted as replacement for some rookie coach struggling.

The circle of life.

Lol what.

Leppa's coaching career has been NOTHING like Rattens.

Ratten took us to 5th/6th and in his final year despite being hit with lots of injuries, we finished 10th...

Leppa's winning % is well below Ratten's.

It's somewhat ironic that Ratten gets touted as a replacement for Leppa, when Justin's coaching career so far somewhat parallels Ratten's to this point.
Say what?

Ratten's coaching got him close to a preliminary final (under a goal).
Leppa's coaching got him close to a preliminary hearing.

" Oh what a tangled web we weave when we first try to deceive" (Sir Walter Scott) . The AFL should never have let this happen, they have had years to prevent this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol what.

Leppa's coaching career has been NOTHING like Rattens.

Ratten took us to 5th/6th and in his final year despite being hit with lots of injuries, we finished 10th...

Leppa's winning % is well below Ratten's.

Ratten had Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson etc.

Leppa has?

Ratten had Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson etc.

Leppa has?

Rockliff, Beams, Zorko, Hanley, Christensen, Rich, Robinson, Martin...

With that said, I don't think we've really ever had them on the park full fit all at once since he has taken over except for maybe half a game. Rockliff, Beams, Hanley and Christensen have all had multiple injuries the last couple of years.

Oh don't get me wrong I think Caro is a great journo and very good at what she does.

Rockliff today denied he is "at odds with club leaders" as reported by Wilson.

Rockliff said he knew nothing about speculation Matthews would resign from his official role at Brisbane, a claim supported by Greg Davis at the Courier Mail who said he (Davis) was at the Gabba three-four times a week. Davis affirmed yesterday that Matthews was still taking an extremely hands on role within the club, including regular meetings with Swann, Leppitsch and the player group and didn't look like he was preparing to step down.

Rockliff again reaffirmed his support for Leppitsch to coach in 2017 and said there was no truth of discontent between him and the club’s hierarchy.

“There always seems to be rumours about me having loggerheads with club leaders and people within the club but there’s nothing in it, it couldn’t be any further from the truth."

"I’m not sure where a few of these people get their stories from.........Leppa is contracted for 2017 and I’d be expecting him to coach”.

Rockliff said he knew nothing about speculation Matthews would resign from his official role at Brisbane, a claim supported by Greg Davis at the Courier Mail who said he (Davis) was at the Gabba three-four times a week. Davis affirmed yesterday that Matthews was still taking an extremely hands on role within the club, including regular meetings with Swann, Leppitsch and the player group and didn't look like he was preparing to step down.

Rockliff again reaffirmed his support for Leppitsch to coach in 2017 and said there was no truth of discontent between him and the club’s hierarchy.

“There always seems to be rumours about me having loggerheads with club leaders and people within the club but there’s nothing in it, it couldn’t be any further from the truth."

"I’m not sure where a few of these people get their stories from.........Leppa is contracted for 2017 and I’d be expecting him to coach”.

In other words: Caro is full of s**t.

Will anyone actually want to be the next Lions coach? Can't imagine any promising candidates putting their hands up when far better clubs will soon be on the lookout.

Maybe they'll be forced to go with a below-par ex-player again?

Really need to change that sensationalist thread title.

I heard that there were only 8,000 fans at the Gabba at the weekend. If so, that's the biggest nail in Leppa's coffin. Unsustainable.
You have confused two completely separate games at the Gabba. A couple of weeks prior they recorded their lowest ever crowd at the Gabba, which had just 8000 showing up to the game. Carlton games always draw a relative amount of opposition support, even though they have struggled in recent years also.

In other words: Caro is full of s**t.

Matthews has now also refuted Wilson's article he was set to exit the club alongside Leppitsch.

Well, no. I think I should just say what Sergeant Schultz (would say), I know nothing,’’

“I’ll say one thing, don’t assume it’s true.

“It wasn’t a done deal article. It was just a speculative article.’’

Matthews also took a thinly veiled swipe at the AFL for leaking information about the club after the recent meeting with the AFL Commission to request more funding for the Lions football department.

The Lions board which is eight or nine people met with the (AFL) commission which is eight or nine people a couple of weeks ago and then you’ve got about a dozen AFL employees who sit around as well, so add that up,’’ he said.

“It’s about 30 people in the room. If there’s 30 people in the room, nothing is confidential.’’

So Matthews is confirming the details in the article were true when the AFL met with the Lions, but is now saying things might have changed?

What's changed? A win over Essendon & Carlton?
You only have to read the Lions board after the Essendon win...we pretty much had the next Carey in Hipwood, and Schache is the next Dunstall

You only have to read the Lions board after the Essendon win...we pretty much had the next Carey in Hipwood, and Schache is the next Dunstall

Rubbish. But in all honestly, what's not to get excited about those boys? They've both been bloody good in their first year as tall forwards at a club getting thumped by 50+ points every bloody week. In a season like this, you take all the positives you can get.

What Rockliff wants is irrelevant - the AFL are the ones who will pull the strings or just withhold money until they get their way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back