Autopsy Brisbane defeats Hawthorn, Rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night was almost like watching a team going through a transition period playing a side loaded with top end talent across the ground heading up the ladder with a rocket .

Funny about that .

- we need to find out who can and can’t play at AFL and who fits into the team
- we are going to be inconsistent through games
- we aren’t contending this season
- we aren’t top 4
- in reality we aren’t playing finals

By all means be frustrated with how we play and even the result , but I think some of the expectations vs actual reality seem to be quite a fair bit apart on this board .

No I think you are missing the frustration.

People are ok with our youngsters having massive dips in performance and understand where we are at however pi55ed off when our senior players do not rock up to a game.

IF and it’s a big IF those that have gone through playing 4 GFs in a row are mentally cooked and need a sea change then we need to be proactive and freshen the joint up.

This board will have a meltdown if I suggest some of the names we should be looking to move out while they have a fraction of currency but some tough decisions will need to be made at end of year.

As mentioned earlier I believe our wins have been very very scrappy and I can’t really think of one of Smith Stratton Gunston Breust Frawley Poppy Shiels that has played to their potential this season.

That is what everyone is concerned about.

Is there any chance Isaac Smith could use his speed and run and carry the pill rather than hacking it forward to Lions players all night.

As for Glass's arrogant bs ruffling McStays hair after missing a sit shot, mate you are lucky to be getting a game wtf. How this guy is picked ahead of Moore, CJ, Ross, Jones, Morrison, Howe etc is beyond me.

Why we go one week playing Gunston deep kicking 6 goals to the next week where he spends the bulk of his time between the arcs is plain stupid.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Afghanistan have won the toss and elected to bat... 🏏
Think i'll go and watch the cricket now Australia bowling has Afghanistan 2/5 :):thumbsu:

Not a shot a you two, but I do find it strange that supporters of the Australian Cricket Team seem ok with their blatant cheating, whilst we continue to condemn the drug cheats. Seems rather odd to me. The Australian Cricket Team are as dead to me as Essendon. Can’t stand cheats in sport. Perhaps some people should be more mindful of how Essendon supporters reacted to their team cheating, if we are ok to get behind Steve Smith, David Warner and their sandpaper cheating team. I wish Rashid had bowled them out for 100.

On the game - I didn’t get to see the game last night, was out at a birthday party, so I thought I’d read the match day and autopsy threads. I wasn’t disappointed to see the same old negative nancies posting their doom and gloom, with a slash of positive when someone did something good. Perhaps the performance was bad, but I for one wasn’t expecting to beat Brisbane up there, in fact a three goal loss seemed about right to me.

Continually kicking scores of 60-80 points isn’t going to win us too many games, even allowing for the much lower scores 2019 is dishing up across the league. And that seems to be all we are capable of atm. We can’t kick a score any week, MCG, UTAS, Marvel, etc. let alone on an away strip.

People need to lower their expectations on this side, as it really isn’t good enough to compete with the best sides particularly without Mitchell and McEvoy. I’m actually really enjoying watching some of younger players who are looking to build and secure their position in the team.

Is there any chance Isaac Smith could use his speed and run and carry the pill rather than hacking it forward to Lions players all night.

As for Glass's arrogant bs ruffling McStays hair after missing a sit shot, mate you are lucky to be getting a game wtf. How this guy is picked ahead of Moore, CJ, Ross, Jones, Morrison, Howe etc is beyond me.

Why we go one week playing Gunston deep kicking 6 goals to the next week where he spends the bulk of his time between the arcs is plain stupid.

That’s the Lewis factor. Clearly, we are wanting him as the deep focus, hence why Gunston is further forward.
Whilst annoying, the more we can do to get Lewis up to this role, the better

Smithys form is baffling this season.

Regularly misses short passes from 15-20 away and doesn’t seem to step up in the big moments these days with a burst run or long goal like he once did.

It’s funny all our IP and list chat/strategy etc like once you get to 30 we only offer 1 year contracts could be starting to hurt us as other clubs like Bevo understand this and can pick off some of our players with 3 year offers of security. Bevo had a Very close relationship with some of our lads and would know Smith Doc and Suckers are very tight.

Looks to me like he is one that may need a change to freshen up. We just can’t be bent over with the trade!!!

Most of our on field leaders are having shocking years. The choice of captain was an unusual one from the beginning, I get that Stratts is a good guy that all the players like but I don't see him leading the way like a captain is meant to. We are severely lacking in this area

Meh, this game was just an example of our season as a whole.

Our best is irresistible but we don't often see it for long enough. Ultimately we're inconsistent and not as good as we once were to effectively change up how we're playing mid-game to answer our opponents changes.

Tom Mitchell would make a HUGE difference to our fortunes. He's a beast in the middle and knows how to get to as many contests as possible. His presence in the side frees others up like O'Meara to be ball users rather than ball winners.

We're going to continue to have unexpected wins and losses for the rest of the season. Best get used to it.

I would be happy to get rid of his salary, take a pick in the 50s, wave bye bye to 600k and go shopping.
as the person before you said it all depends on list manager have, things changed quickly for Geelong. I think it is a bit harsh to say that, if can get a first round (doubtful)/ second round especially age wise, ok. Going shopping have to be wise or picks, have to nail it. If giving $750K a year over 5 years with 1st round pick and 1st round player to get like Wingard puts him / club under pressure to perform.

Great effort early. Couldn’t sustain it.

We’re still a midfielder short, and we missed Scrimshaw’s run off halfback tonight too.
The high intensity that we showed in the 1st qtr, we can't maintain it for 4 qtrs. Towards the end of the 3rd we were struggling and Bris then had more space and time to assess the better ways of getting out of our forward line so they could attack more effectively.
Yep we got smacked in the midfield too

Most of our on field leaders are having shocking years. The choice of captain was an unusual one from the beginning, I get that Stratts is a good guy that all the players like but I don't see him leading the way like a captain is meant to. We are severely lacking in this area

Tough gig to be an on field leader/motivator when your job is to hang off the oppositions best small forward and be a stopper.

The high intensity that we showed in the 1st qtr, we can't maintain it for 4 qtrs. Towards the end of the 3rd we were struggling and Bris then had more space and time to assess the better ways of getting out of our forward line so they could attack more effectively.
Yep we got smacked in the midfield too
Brisbane got jumped by us too, and their midfielders got a stern talking to at Quarter time.

They ultimately had improvement to come from that group, while we were pretty much at optimum output from the first bounce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By all means be frustrated with how we play and even the result , but I think some of the expectations vs actual reality seem to be quite a fair bit apart on this board .

I agree. There was a lot of talk pre-game that this was going to be a "season defining match", "an 8 point game" will "set us up for a finals push". Someone even went as far as saying a top 4 finish wasn't out of the realms of possibly. o_O

Why did he retire if he still wanted to play footy? Obvious it was suggested to him by TPTB at Hawthorn. I think that was a mistake.
He wouldn’t be playing in our next flag and to be honest he won’t play in Brisbane’s either.

We needed to move him on and start the renovation of the back half without him. As a result we got to see who could cut it without him barking orders (Hardwick and Sicily) and who couldn’t(Burton).

He wouldn’t be playing in our next flag and to be honest he won’t play in Brisbane’s either.

We needed to move him on and start the renovation of the back half without him. As a result we got to see who could cut it without him barking orders (Hardwick and Sicily) and who couldn’t(Burton).

Look how useful he is at Brisbane. I think we could still have made use of him at Hawthorn, continuing to help our young players.

He’s leading the way he always has and subsequently as he was asked to.

Make no mistake, Stratton wasn’t given the captaincy with a manifest on how he needed to do this and that going forward in order to lead the club.

He was given the captaincy and told to keep doing what he already does.

He’s never been the type to stream off half back for 25 disposals, he’s the dependable workman-like stopper in the back half who sacrifices his game for the team.

Those who wanted him to come out and start playing in a different manner or acting in a different way simply have the wrong expectation.

Lewis improving every week. Playing on the games best and rarely having his colours lowered.

That miss will do more good than harm in the learning department. Hopefully it burns him up and he hits the track hard over the week.

We are an average side playing an above average side on their home deck. Tough game to win. Didn't expect to win either.

We will be a different side next year. 2019 is all about getting kms into the legs of JOM/Scully, getting experience into the new blood and letting Wingard find his feet.

Worpel needs a rest so the break has come at a great time. Was completely gassed after half time.

With Mitchell back in 2020 and hopefully Cogs + 15-20 games into Scrimshaw/Hardwick/Cousins/Worpel/Lewis etc, we will be a new team.
Thanks for the wrap up , feeling better already .👍😉

Brisbane got jumped by us too, and their midfielders got a stern talking to at Quarter time.

They ultimately had improvement to come from that group, while we were pretty much at optimum output from the first bounce.
They did and we faded badly towards the end of the 3rd, while they took the lead and had all the belief. I felt then that we needed to change out tact as our current game plan would result in an slow defeat rather than an unlikely win. A 4th qtr similar to the one we played against gws might have yielded a diff result maybe? High possession, slower precise entries, trouble was our mids were getting smacked in the last.

Make no mistake, Stratton wasn’t given the captaincy with a manifest on how he needed to do this and that going forward in order to lead the club.

He’s never been the type tonstran off half back for 25 disposals, he’s the dependable workman-like stopper in the back half who sacrifices his game for the team.

Those who wanted him to come out and start playing in a different manner or acting in a different way simply have the wrong expectation.

Yes good call. I think some believe Stratton was going to become a different player overnight.....

The interesting point for me is the likes of Gunston Smith and Shiels missing out on the gig when they all play positions that can have more influence on contests if that makes sense.

FWIW I thought he did a very good job on Charlie last night. With the supply the Lions had he could of easily kicked a big bag.

He’s never been the type tonstran off half back for 25 disposals, he’s the dependable workman-like stopper in the back half who sacrifices his game for the team.

I don't want him to play in a different manner, my point was that he was the wrong choice.

No I think you are missing the frustration.

People are ok with our youngsters having massive dips in performance and understand where we are at however pi55ed off when our senior players do not rock up to a game.

IF and it’s a big IF those that have gone through playing 4 GFs in a row are mentally cooked and need a sea change then we need to be proactive and freshen the joint up.

This board will have a meltdown if I suggest some of the names we should be looking to move out while they have a fraction of currency but some tough decisions will need to be made at end of year.

As mentioned earlier I believe our wins have been very very scrappy and I can’t really think of one of Smith Stratton Gunston Breust Frawley Poppy Shiels that has played to their potential this season.

That is what everyone is concerned about.
I’m talking about the expectation vs reality of the team in general , I think there is a wide gulf from a quite a few supporters

I’m talking about the expectation vs reality of the team in general , I think there is a wide gulf from a quite a few supporters

The expectation is for our senior players to lead as they should and perform reasonably consistently. The reality if that occurs is we would be 7-4 right now not 5-6.

We have had some major moments this season where we have desperately needed our senior group of leaders to step up and they have vanished as a collective.

The expectation is for our senior players to lead as they should and perform reasonably consistently. The reality if that occurs is we would be 7-4 right now not 5-6.

We have had some major moments this season where we have desperately needed our senior group of leaders to step up and they have vanished as a collective.
I’m talking about the expectation on the collective of the ‘team’ not individual players

I don’t disagree with your assessment of those players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back