Autopsy Brisbane defeats Hawthorn, Rd 11, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

While I'm just as disappointed as the rest of you I'm choosing not to take aim at any of our players individually.

As a team however we need to pull our bloody finger out.

We all knew this season would be tough after Mitchell went down but seeing some of the dismal efforts offered by our experienced heads this season is woeful.

This season is no doubt going to be a rollercoaster so let's try to enjoy the ups and the downs and know that we always find a way to get back on our feet.

Getting back Mitchell next year will already drastically improve our chances and if we manage to land Coniglio and a KPF and/or KPD then we're right back in business.

Let's just hope that the players who are currently underperforming manage to turn around their form because any potential targets would be just as worried about our premiership stars drop in form as we are.

It's not so much the losing of games that has me a little worried, it's the sudden drop of so many of our players that should be stepping up as opposed to letting the side down.

There's little doubt this only temporary but it's still worrying all the same.

Last edited:
It's not so much the losing of games that has me a little worried, it's the sudden drop of so many of our players that should be stepping up as opposed to letting the side down.

There's little doubt this only temporary but it's still worrying all the same.

I don't know how many people can recall the golden era of the 80s where we played in 7 Grand Finals in a row. We copped some injuries in 1990 but managed to re-group in 1991 with the addition of Jarman, Robran & Whittlesea from SA, and the improvement from Hudson, Gowers, Paul Dear, Anderson, Condon, etc, it seemed as though there was plenty of young talent to carry us through to a new era.

However, as we know, many of our stars disappeared over the next few years, some of the "Future Stars:, Allan, Jarman, Robran, Hall, etc, all returned home, and the next level of player who looked very good when surrounded by the 80s superstars failed to step up to the next level.

In only 4 years after playing 8 grand finals in nine years for 5 premierships, we found ourselves in 15th spot and it took over a decade for the club to recover.

Like you, I'm concerned that certain players are not taking that step up to the next level. We appear to be lacking leadership right now, and with the imminent retirement of Roughie, that's not going to help.

I don't know how many people can recall the golden era of the 80s where we played in 7 Grand Finals in a row. We copped some injuries in 1990 but managed to re-group in 1991 with the addition of Jarman, Robran & Whittlesea from SA, and the improvement from Hudson, Gowers, Paul Dear, Anderson, Condon, etc, it seemed as though there was plenty of young talent to carry us through to a new era.

However, as we know, many of our stars disappeared over the next few years, some of the "Future Stars:, Allan, Jarman, Robran, Hall, etc, all returned home, and the next level of player who looked very good when surrounded by the 80s superstars failed to step up to the next level.

In only 4 years after playing 8 grand finals in nine years for 5 premierships, we found ourselves in 15th spot and it took over a decade for the club to recover.

Like you, I'm concerned that certain players are not taking that step up to the next level. We appear to be lacking leadership right now, and with the imminent retirement of Roughie, that's not going to help.

Its the on field leadership that has me most concerned. Were coughing up 5/6 goal leads at any point in the game...and can't stem the flow and evemtually get run over...why?

Its the on field leadership that has me most concerned. Were coughing up 5/6 goal leads at any point in the game...and can't stem the flow and eventually get run over...why?

This happened to our side during the 2005+ phase as well. Clarko will not burn the kids out. All their on field time will be managed. A lot of our youth are still a year or so away from being 4 quarter performers. Clarko wont throw them to the wolves for a few cheap wins or to save his career. HFC will play the long game.

Also we do not have the enforcers around to protect the kids and Sicily even though he tries is not in this category. Blokes like Rough, Cyril, Bud, Hodge Lewis, Lake, Gibson, Guerra and Hale were all intimidating players in their own way. We lack that now. ATM Hardwick, Impey, McEvoy and Worpel are probably the only ones I would not want to run into in a dark alley.

It has to be said that we had 10 150 + game players in our side Saturday night and still fell comfortably short of a young Brisbane team after jumping them by 5 goals, our club has lots of work to do if it wants to become a contender in the next 2-3 years.

It has to be said that we had 10 150 + game players in our side Saturday night and still fell comfortably short of a young Brisbane team after jumping them by 5 goals, our club has lots of work to do if it wants to become a contender in the next 2-3 years.
Two of those 150+ have played 10 or less games as a Hawk though

And 10 were under 100, half of which are under 50, our first Ruck and key forward both under 10

Looking at our age or games played or players over 150 games doesn't give a picture of reality.

A quarter of our team hadn't played 50 games, Worpel with 22 the highest if that group. A third of our team has 22 or less games as Hawk.

We had 8 guys that have played a lot of footy together, another 6 that have had 2-3 seasons worth, and the other 8 are trying to get into the system.

Brisbane has been building that group up for more years together than the group we played against them on the weekend. They had more guys that were in the 4-5 seasons together range

Can we chair Worpedo off the ground? 20 disposals and 5 clearances. Really looking forward to next year when we load up in the midfield with hopefully Cogs, a fit Mitchell, possibly Greenwood, Jaeger, Worpel and Shiels. Getting a dress rehearsal tonight of how good Worpel could be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back