Brisbane/Fitzroy relationship discussion

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Guys, some of you are getting a little excited. If the club wanted to cover anything up it would have been the easiest thing it the world to do.

Why didn’t they just hide the number of actual votes and only show the percentages?

If they had control then why did they so obviously massively stack the numbers at the end themselves? If they wanted to cheat they could easily have set it up to add just enough votes for one jumper to win. That way they could have gotten away with it with no suspicion at all.

Why would they care about what version won? If they preferred one design why would they just not announce that at the start and ditch the voting?

We all know that the club is not really that sharp when it comes to this stuff. As I said to bob it’s classic example of Hanlon's razor.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
Guys, some of you are getting a little excited. If the club wanted to cover anything up it would have been the easiest thing it the world to do.

Why didn’t they just hide the number of actual votes and only show the percentages?

If they had control then why did they so obviously massively stack the numbers at the end themselves? If they wanted to cheat they could easily have set it up to add just enough votes for one jumper to win. That way they could have gotten away with it with no suspicion at all.

Why would they care about what version won? If they preferred one design why would they just not announce that at the start and ditch the voting?

We all know that the club is not really that sharp when it comes to this stuff. As I said to bob it’s classic example of Hanlon's razor.

Mountain out of a molehill.

I am more concerned about what John saw in George Street at lunchtime today:p

We don't even get 30,000 to a game..

If 30,000 'real' people actually voted then i'd be a bit more dissapointed that we only get 20k members and 20k people to the games at the Gabba.

10k only interested in choosing jumpers? Must have left the club when the paddlepop lion was brought in :rolleyes:

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
No offence but theories about the club rigging the vote are a little out there.

It's pretty clear what happened here. They ****ed this process up tech wise, and someone out there in internet land has gone nuts with the auto-clicker. Wouldn't surprise me if one of the more trollish footy forums out there did it for "lulz".

No conspiracy. Just poor execution.

They'll learn from it (I hope).

Such a shame though, really wanted to buy me a number 1. Bleh. 3 sucks.

Last of the Roys

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I haven't read this thread since earlier today, but I am going to post what I posted on the Fitzroy board:

"Look, option 3 is a good looking jumper and I will probably buy one.

It is slightly disappointing that it is really a hybrid of two different Fitzroy jumpers - our first VFL jumper and the one from the 50's.

As for what went on with the voting on the final day, who knows? I would doubt the Club was involved in officially rigging anything - they are possibly the most pro-Fitzroy administration we have had. My first thought is that someone set up a Bot to automatically fill out the survey today for option 3 as a prank (given the survey was open to anyone, and people could vote multiple times).

Anyway, no huge drama. Hopefully the Club have learnt their lesson for the main game - if indeed there is a main game - that is giving Lions members a choice on the 2013 home, away [VIC] and clash jumpers, including an option to revert back to the Fitzroy Lion on the front. (It still may not happen, but there is definitely some hope that it will - a vote that is)."

Soul1986

Senior List
May 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A big thumbs up for the Brisbane Lions Board of Directors, Management Team and anyone involved in yet another Brisbane Lions PR Debacle.

Firstly, they somehow find the need to design two FAKE HYBRID HERITAGE JUMPERS. Even though, Fitzroy- (yes the club you merged with)- provided you with 100 years of history. Yes, this also included AUTHENTIC HERITAGE JUMPERS.

I wonder how fans of Collingwood, Essendon would react to managment, trying to tinker with their history like the lions have done with this matter....

As a privlidge for being a lions member, any person was allowed to log onto the lions website and cast a vote. Whether they barrack for the lions, eagles, swans, or anyone who wanted to fill in some time.

But it only gets better - they could vote as many times as they wanted. The result?? A poll which is hopelessly flawed and shows ZERO respect for Brisbane Lions members and fans.

Had they bothered to engage their merger partner- Fitzroy Football Club, perhaps some sound advice would have been provided and this embarassing debacle avoided.

I wouuld suggest having a serious looke at the 5 year strategic plan- this debacle goes against many things raised in the strategic plan. Unless its already been filed away in storage....

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
A big thumbs up for the Brisbane Lions Board of Directors, Management Team and anyone involved in yet another Brisbane Lions PR debacle

Clearly we have different definitions of debacle. I dare say 90 percent of Brisbne supporters won't even take notice. On a spectrum of mistakes made by the club, this one is relatively small.

It's pretty disappointing but I think you are being a tad hysterical about this. Can't help but feel that with SOME Fitzroy supporters that every good deed by the club will be dismissed/undersold and every mistake magnified and blown out of proportion. You were teeing off at this initiative before the voting issues even cropped up. Can't help but think that you love this latest turn of events because it allows you to say everything you wanted to say.

Still going on about "no consultation with Fitzroy" too I see. Have you actually substantiated that yet or are you just muck raking?

No one even expected a Fitzroy themed strip this time last week, now we are getting one and some people are even more agrieved than before.

It was poorly executed, but they deserve some credit for good intentions. Especially when you look at the other things going on... establishment of a Victorian office, Fitzroy museum, Hall of Fame Event, regular big screen events... They're trying, and you are coming off as ungrateful.

I can't see how you will ever be reasonably satisfied. Maybe the club just can't realistically meet your requirements and it's time for you to consider making a clean break. Your incessant negativity about every attempt the club makes to repair bridges is potentially counter productive. At some stage the club will just say "why bother... We just can't please some people". And if that sad situation arises, I feel sorry for the many, many other Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions supporters (that's right, you don't speak for all of them) who will suffer.

They're trying, and you are coming off as ungrateful.

That's the biggest issue in all of this. After many years of very little effort being put in to respect our history and engage the Victorian fan base, we've finally had an administration come in who actually care about that and are making a real effort. Instead of this being recognised and appreciated, every mistake in the practical application of these good intentions is spoken about like the club doesn't care and is off the rails.

No, this situation isn't ideal. But it's a great deal better than what has existed.

Criticism is fair enough. But make it constructive. And recognise an effort where there was one. Otherwise there may not be one much longer.

The effort the club is making is essentially to get more people on board and create a sense of unity so it's basis as a business should be a self-interested one. If it can be done better your focus group and attached criticisms are right here and should be considered valuable for future strategy.

Soul1986

Senior List
May 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Clearly we have different definitions of debacle. I dare say 90 percent of Brisbne supporters won't even take notice. On a spectrum of mistakes made by the club, this one is relatively small.

It's pretty disappointing but I think you are being a tad hysterical about this. Can't help but feel that with SOME Fitzroy supporters that every good deed by the club will be dismissed/undersold and every mistake magnified and blown out of proportion. You were teeing off at this initiative before the voting issues even cropped up. Can't help but think that you love this latest turn of events because it allows you to say everything you wanted to say.

Still going on about "no consultation with Fitzroy" too I see. Have you actually substantiated that yet or are you just muck raking?

No one even expected a Fitzroy themed strip this time last week, now we are getting one and some people are even more agrieved than before.

It was poorly executed, but they deserve some credit for good intentions. Especially when you look at the other things going on... establishment of a Victorian office, Fitzroy museum, Hall of Fame Event, regular big screen events... They're trying, and you are coming off as ungrateful.

I can't see how you will ever be reasonably satisfied. Maybe the club just can't realistically meet your requirements and it's time for you to consider making a clean break. Your incessant negativity about every attempt the club makes to repair bridges is potentially counter productive. At some stage the club will just say "why bother... We just can't please some people". And if that sad situation arises, I feel sorry for the many, many other Fitzroy/Brisbane Lions supporters (that's right, you don't speak for all of them) who will suffer.

You are entitled to your opinion and also good at putting words in peoples mouths too. I dont think you grasp the concept this is a forumn, and yes, I am entitled to my opinion as well. I'll touch on a couple of your comments:

Firstly, in an earlier post, I gave them credit for this gesture. But, its not a total surprise- if you recall it also happended for the kings of the pride function. In addition, every other club has been doing the same thing for years, as they should.

You agree, it was 'poorly executed' and 'pretty disappointing'. Ill agree with you on one thing- I mentioned debacle, which was too strong a word. But I just dont understand why they felt the need to design hybrid heritage jumpers in the first place. I think you'll find the vast majority of supporters of clubs (with a history or attached history of 100 years) would agree with me on this point....

I have given them credit (on several posts) in their attempts to rebuild their relationship with Fitzroy and its fans, including the museum at Etihad Stadium ( which I attended on the night).

In terms of your comment about 'no consultation with Fitzroy'- there was no mention of them on either website- Ill assume this is the case, but not confirmed.

Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion and some people will show their emotions more than others and have stronger views than other people.

Footy is an emotional game and some people (not saying you) can easily forget past mistakes whereas others probably take more time to forgive or totally move on.

At least we'll see the FFC monogram back on an AFL ground this year- this should bring a smile to most Fitzroy fans, in round 13.

Mr Ripper

Pink-cheeked and robust
Dec 21, 1999
Far North Fitzroy
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy FC
This entire escapade amuses me somewhat tbh, but I have no doubt the club's heart is in the right place on this one. Bit like the footy team, really: the desire's good; teh skillz leave a bit to be desired. :)

That in turn reminds me of the time when I was denied the role of being Moderator of the Lions Board despite popular opinion willing me into the role... :D

The headmistress wasn't overly enthused about the idea iirc. :D

Jul 15, 2003
Vegas
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A big thumbs up for the Brisbane Lions Board of Directors, Management Team and anyone involved in yet another Brisbane Lions PR Debacle.

Firstly, they somehow find the need to design two FAKE HYBRID HERITAGE JUMPERS. Even though, Fitzroy- (yes the club you merged with)- provided you with 100 years of history. Yes, this also included AUTHENTIC HERITAGE JUMPERS.

I wonder how fans of Collingwood, Essendon would react to managment, trying to tinker with their history like the lions have done with this matter....

As a privlidge for being a lions member, any person was allowed to log onto the lions website and cast a vote. Whether they barrack for the lions, eagles, swans, or anyone who wanted to fill in some time.

But it only gets better - they could vote as many times as they wanted. The result?? A poll which is hopelessly flawed and shows ZERO respect for Brisbane Lions members and fans.

Had they bothered to engage their merger partner- Fitzroy Football Club, perhaps some sound advice would have been provided and this embarassing debacle avoided.

I wouuld suggest having a serious looke at the 5 year strategic plan- this debacle goes against many things raised in the strategic plan. Unless its already been filed away in storage....

Oh please....It's pretty hard to take an argument seriously when it is this melodramatic...I’d hate to see your reaction if someone burns your toast in the morning.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
I dont think you grasp the concept this is a forumn, and yes, I am entitled to my opinion as well.

Pretty sure I have the concept well grasped. People submit their opinion and in the process implicitly authorize their opinion being discussed.

Firstly, in an earlier post, I gave them credit for this gesture. But, its not a total surprise- if you recall it also happended for the kings of the pride function. In addition, every other club has been doing the same thing for years, as they should.

This just reiterates my suspicion that some people will just downplay every good initiative and hammer them on the mistakes. Why should an initiative be downplayed just because it wasn't "a total surprise"?

There has to be a bit of give and take. Seriously, if people are going to bitch and moan because everything the club tries to do isn't perfect in their own little 'Fitzroy' universe, the club won't bother, and it will prove the previous administration right that the old Roy boy days are over and melb fans aren't worth the time.

The club has done so much in such a short amount of time, it's not fair to hang so much crap on them for not getting things perfect. The club will learn from this experience as well. At a bare minimum, let's give them as much praise for what they are doing as we do 'constructive' criticism in ways they can improve.

This whole process is amazingly metaphoric of where we are at as a football club.

We're making progress, but we're just not there yet.
I think the whole social media and online presence is representative of the club. We're either not trying hard enough or we're making a lot of rookie mistakes. I put this in the latter category.

adey115

Premiership Player
Nov 16, 2001
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy side of the family.
I just don't think the 'sky is falling' on this one. I just think it wasn't quite done as well as it could have been done.

I said that earlier, and my opinion stays that way - except that I think they've managed to bugger up the result even more than they seemed to be heading to yesterday.... the 'unique IP' results needed to be the ones considered for the final result and my understanding is that shouldn't have been a difficult process. I still don't spot a conspiracy theory, but I do spot some rather amateurish logistics all round.

A learning exercise for the club's management processes I hope.

adey115

Premiership Player
Nov 16, 2001
Vic
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy side of the family.
Another note - was the term "Hybrid" used in the initial voting page on the Lions website, in terms of describing options 2 and 3?

I can't recall the exact wording on the Lions website, but "Hybrid" has certainly been used extensively in this forum with regard to this discussion, and it appeared in the final results page article on the Lions website. To me it does show that the club is certainly paying attention to what is said in here.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers
I think the whole social media and online presence is representative of the club. We're either not trying hard enough or we're making a lot of rookie mistakes. I put this in the latter category.

Our website has improved tenfold in the last year or so (not that it was hard to improve on). I think we have improved in this area.

Didn't we hire someone to look after this aspect of the club?

Back