Brisbane/Fitzroy relationship discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking this might be wanting its own thread shortly…

Happy Days?

What about “See You In September” by the Tempos from American Graffiti? :D

[youtube]QRGLjzFHa40[/youtube]

Now let’s just tweak the Tempos tempo up a tad and give it a little sprinkle of ‘I Dream of Jeannie’… I give you Teddy Robin & The Playboys version of the same “See You In September” :thumbsu:

[youtube]Tfaeu9D7AlI[/youtube]
Went to the tiggers v eagles game with a mate who is an eagles foundation member… think the above is on a par with their tune – either have to be castrated or female to sing it... he hates theirs. lol

Leave our song alone… PLEASE! :p

I'd like to see 'Within You Without You' played before the games.

I have to ask, is that a hilarious mangling or "With or Without You" or there really is an song named that? Because I love the name.

Until we start making finals again, I nominate "Wake Me Up When September Ends". ;)

Not familiar with The Beatles, Don? :p

Not guilty! Yesterday, no reply. But after a hard day's night, where I forgot to remember to forget, yes it is. Not a second time...

I like the lyrics, and like the fact that we're using La Mars..., which in itself is one of the most stirring national anthems in the world.

But I agree - the arrangement itself that we have isn't hugely stirring.

One major component from the old Fitzroy theme that I loved was the opening instrumental brass before the singing. That is far more stirring than the synthesiser style of opening that we have. Even changing that small component would make a difference. Have a listen to the brass instrumental solo between verses as well in the old Fitzroy version. So daggy its cool.

Also I reckon you can't beat the old boy style singing in most of the club theme songs - old, daggy, yet how cool is it - think of the vocals from the Carlton, Richmond, Collingwood... I think the GWS have tried to replicate that style as well (not that you're likely to hear it sung in victory for a few years).

Those two components take you half way I reckon.

The Lions lyrics were indeed created by Jim Keays from the Masters Apprentices. I see no reason to change the lyrics at all. But i'd certainly be interested to hear a different version now. If you listen to the theme song recordings that were created in the 80s or 90s like the Lions one (West Coast for instance, Adelaide) then they feel like they've dated. Whereas for some reason, the old style ones haven't.

One thing to consider....
The Swans originally ditched "Cheer Cheer" when they went to Sydney, going for "Up There For Sydney" (hashing in Up There Cazaly into a theme) and a ditty called "Show Em Sydney" for between goals as well. Didn't take that long before they were ditched and they returned to the original old style "Cheer Cheer" theme song. In the early 80s Collingwood even came up with a changed version of their theme ("the Premiership's a cakewalk" got the chop) but that didn't last. Geelong also tried an 80s thing, "Come On The Cats" from memory. All didn't last and the old style returned.

I'm not saying we should change the Lions one, but it would be interesting to hear an old style version based on the Fitzroy style recording, but with the BL lyrics of course. I'm not saying that as someone coming from the Roys side of the family - merely pointing out that those old school ones are soooo daggy they're cool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just got a phone call from the lions shop, RE: the heritage jumper.
As a "registered voter" (whatever that means, maybe because I filled out the bottom) I have the chance to purchase either of the losing jumpers for $159.
They said I could order as many as I liked (both types or varying sizes etc.) and that it was not available to the general public, just the registered voters.

Speaking to family now to see if they want some and it looks like the club will make 1k just off us! (for the option 1 jumper of course)

As a "registered voter" (whatever that means, maybe because I filled out the bottom) I have the chance to purchase either of the losing jumpers for $159.
They said I could order as many as I liked (both types or varying sizes etc.) and that it was not available to the general public, just the registered voters.

Speaking to family now to see if they want some and it looks like the club will make 1k just off us! (for the option 1 jumper of course)

Wow, anxiously awaiting my call then!

Will happily part with $159 for my very own Jumper A. :thumbsu:

Got the same call, and will be looking into getting option 1. :)

Hi guys and girls,

I know there are a lot of people on this forum who are keen to check out the Fitzroy-Brisbane Lions Historical Society Museum at Etihad Stadium - so I thought I'd let you all know that the Historical Society are holding an event there on Tuesday 22 May from 7:30pm.

Former Fitzroy players Jim Wynd and Jamie Cooper will be the special guests and there will also be an auction of some old Fitzroy/Lions memorabilia that was found during the construction of the Museum.

Tickets are only $10 for Historical Society members of $15 for non-members. No pre-bookings required, simply turn up on the night if you're free.

Guests are meeting in the Captain's Bar for a bite beforehand (there are cheap meal deals) before heading up to the Museum for a private viewing/tour.

Also, all money raised from the night will go directly back into financing further cabinets for the display.

If you're unable to make it on this night, don't forget that you can still contact Arthur Wilson to organise a viewing at another time throughout the season.

Arthur and the Historical Society have done a phenomenal job putting this together and it really is a sight to behold.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back