Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Question - Why can't we have another Lion as head coach? This gets trotted out a lot and I'm curious as to why?

Do people perceive that we are too soft on ex players? Based on merits if it came down to it, I would have a coach who understands our landscape because of experience, and who will settle in and adapt far quicker to our circumstances than a Victorian who's never seen a rugby league game before.

Given what we did to Voss and may do to Leppa I can't see much evidence we're too easy on ex's...
Can't speak for anyone else but I hate seeing our premiership heroes get turfed. It hurts a hell of a lot more than someone not connected to the club.

Question - Why can't we have another Lion as head coach? This gets trotted out a lot and I'm curious as to why?

Do people perceive that we are too soft on ex players? Based on merits if it came down to it, I would have a coach who understands our landscape because of experience, and who will settle in and adapt far quicker to our circumstances than a Victorian who's never seen a rugby league game before.

Given what we did to Voss and may do to Leppa I can't see much evidence we're too easy on ex's...
It could be argued that clubs move too late to sack club legends - i.e. Voss, Leppitsch, Buckley, Hird. Another danger is that they are given too much power within the club - i.e. James Hird.

Are there even any ex lions atm who are in a position to be considered?

Last edited:

The AFL will tick off on whatever coaches/ assistant want to go to our club ( if any) since they will be pumping crap loads of money into us into the future. Therefore I think you can scrub Bomber Thompson having anything to do with us in the future.

It could be argued that clubs move too late to sack club legends - i.e. Voss, Leppitsch, Buckley, Hird. Another danger is that they are given too much power within the club - i.e. James Hird.

God damn it, I agreed before I saw it was you making the point! :D

This is what leads me to me more anti-them then pro. They get way more leeway, partly because of the positive public relations exercise of hiring them and partly because of the negative public relations exercise of firing them. Voss and Shaw and Hird and Buckley (and undoubtedly others) all got hired/annointed purely because of their history with the club, because compare their assistant coaching career to most others appointed head coach and it's like night and day. Hird and arguably others definitely got to stay longer than warranted because of the same reason, when circumstances would've fired anyone else. Leppa probably would've been made a scapegoat long ago if not for his club history or more importantly his relationship with Leigh and hence the board.

Lappin is well-regarded down at Geelong. The Scott brothers are doing alright for themselves. Caracella, though hardly a name with as much cachet, seems to be hanging around at Collingwood IIRC, though he seems to have a way to go before getting his name up for senior positions. Then there's a fair few ex-Fitzroy/Bears boys that a lot here have soft spots for as a result (Roos, Blakely, Williams, others).

If Brad Scott gets the sack because North drop out of the 8, would you consider him?

I know this is a bit out there but I think we should seriously consider Gary Ayres.

He has done a fantastic job at Port Melbourne and is an experienced coach.

Was a bit stiff not to get another AFL gig IMO.

I know this is a bit out there but I think we should seriously consider Gary Ayres.

He has done a fantastic job at Port Melbourne and is an experienced coach.

Was a bit stiff not to get another AFL gig IMO.
He's probably been too long out of AFL imo. The difference in resourcing between the two levels is huge and any AFL assistant probably has a much greater understanding on how best to delegate, strategies etc imo.

It could be for some clubs... but lets not forget the disgraceful way we bulleted Voss before his contract was up and could well be positioning ourselves to do the same to Leppa.

I honestly think the supporters actually judge ex players far harder than the club.

In a position to be considered - who would know. Who could be considered... about a dozen :D

It could be for some clubs... but lets not forget the disgraceful way we bulleted Voss before his contract was up and could well be positioning ourselves to do the same to Leppa.

I honestly think the supporters actually judge ex players far harder than the club.

In a position to be considered - who would know. Who could be considered... about a dozen :D
Its an interesting one. We have a pretty large anti-Buckley contingent and Brett Ratten got a pretty raw deal from both supporters and the board. On the other hand, Essendon supporters were almost unanimous in their fanatical devotion to Hird during the ASADA business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread pisses me off. I voted for Leppa out of spite for those baying for blood.

Does anyone really believe Leppa would be playing kids week in, week out if he thought wins were his only KPI?

I actually have no idea who would be the best coach of the Lions, but if Leppa gets dumped this calendar year I'll be stunned.

Because the board have clearly backed his youth policy. And you can't back a youth policy and then turn around and sack the bloke for playing his youth...

This thread pisses me off. I voted for Leppa out of spite for those baying for blood.

Does anyone really believe Leppa would be playing kids week in, week out if he thought wins were his only KPI?

I actually have no idea who would be the best coach of the Lions, but if Leppa gets dumped this calendar year I'll be stunned.

Because the board have clearly backed his youth policy. And you can't back a youth policy and then turn around and sack the bloke for playing his youth...

He wouldn't be sacked for playing the youth.

Gee, how could you go past Brett Ratten? Was fantastic at Carlton. Been under Clarkson for a few years now. Have a look at some of the other coaches who were assistants under Clarkson. Beveridge, Simpson. Look at the success they have had in such a short time. ,

Why does he get sacked then? And if your reason can be explained by our board's direction of "play the youth" then it's the same thing.

The team consistently underperforming against whatever KPIs they have in place.

A better coach being available.

There could be many reasons.

Deleted my earlier post due to terrible editing, sorry.

Questions; Where is our list? What are our KPI's? What is the long term plan?

If we're bottoming out, then a spoon or 2 is acceptable. Getting bums on seats is irrelevant as long as we have the current Gabba agreement. We can't break even with less than 20,000 members and that number's a pipe dream right now.

Leppa came to us with a ten year plan. Did we think he was joking?

I don't remember anything about a ten year plan.

Even if we were to accept that ladder position and crowds were irrelevant - which they're not - there isn't much evidence that we're moving forward in any way.

We're playing the kids, but they're not developing as we'd like. We're still having trouble implementing the gameplan, and it's not even clear that it's the right gameplan.

Even if there was a ten year plan, that wouldn't mean you wait until the ten year mark to see how you're going. There has to be signs of genuine progress in three years.

I wouldn't be stunned if he got sacked, but I also hope he's still in place next year - however with more support. I would love to see him start to turn it around next year as the young players get more experience, and for everything he and the club have been saying this year as correct (and all the media pundits to be proven wrong). I think it would suck for someone like Bomber Thompson to come in and take what is essentially the same list and turn the club around and be seen as the savior.

The board knew at the start of the season where we stand, that's why Leppa was given a contract extension. If things don't show signs of improvement in the first half of the season, then say goodbye. I'll happily admit I was wrong!!

Completely agree with a lot of this thread. I love Leppa, but unfortunately for him at the moment it's a lose-lose situation. He has done everything he can to build for long term success but right now, obviously, we aren't banking wins.

It's disappointing that the playing (senior) group has been so underwhelming which he relies on to assist him to develop the young kids. On the plus side, Schache, Mathieson, Andrews, Hipwood are a very solid spine to carry us through into the future.. but these are the guys who are giving it their all.

I hope Rocky stays. And I pray that the current playing group can show that at least on Sunday that we're not the worst side in the competition.

Back