Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i disagree with your view on us needing a "clean out the club to basically start again" type strategy. IMO we have the building blocks in place for a tilt at finals football in 3-5 years particularly in regards to our young key position stocks eg. Andrews, Schache, Hipwood, Freeman, Close, McStay and Declan Watson this years draft and Connor Ballenden next year. we need over the next draft or 2 to stock up on elite mids/small forwards with an emphasis on pace/elite ball use/x-factor type players.

I think you're drawing a long bow when you need to refer to guys that haven't even been drafted yet, and in Ballenden's case hasn't even finished school.

We'd all love these boys to be guns, and that just might eventuate, but at the moment there's absolutely no basis on which you could confidently predict that either of them will even play a game of senior footy.

I think you're drawing a long bow when you need to refer to guys that haven't even been drafted yet, and in Ballenden's case hasn't even finished school.

We'd all love these boys to be guns, and that just might eventuate, but at the moment there's absolutely no basis on which you could confidently predict that either of them will even play a game of senior footy.
i like drawing long bows when it comes to how we can/may improve our list, the last few years it has been more enjoyable than watching match replays.:)

The more random names he throws out, the less stupid it'll be when he proposes his own triumphant return to coaching, at the Brisbane Lions.
Watson layed the groundwork for St Kildas 20 year plan

Follows on from this article by Der-Wayne on the weekend.

Crows’ David Noble’s football intelligence puts him on radar of rival clubs
825b049844884e46a73f953b63df67a3

Dwayne Russell, The Advertiser
August 13, 2016 7:30pm

825b049844884e46a73f953b63df67a3

IT MAY distress some football traditionalists to hear it, but coaching by gut feel is dead.

Having four ex-AFL stars sitting in a coaches’ box making suggestions and on-field moves based on what their eyes only are telling them was once the recipe for success. It’s now a recipe for disaster.

Some of the most intelligent football people I now know never played a single AFL game. And some of the least intelligent played hundreds.

When the name of Adelaide Crows head of football David Noble; who played only two AFL games for Fitzroy and coached SANFL side Glenelg for two seasons; was whispered my way from two totally different directions this week, it deserved an investigation and an explanation as to why Noble is suddenly on the radar for the Brisbane Lions and any other AFL club looking for a senior coach.

Especially if the Crows win the flag this year and Noble’s stocks rise even further.

The start of the answer as to why Noble has been mentioned, is obvious. How many games a person has played counts less than ever.

People management skills are the bigger priority, and Noble’s short time at Harvard and his half completed MBA look good on his resume. But not as good as his record in football department management at Adelaide.

Because Adelaide’s game day coaches’ box process, and Noble’s management of it, has tongues wagging in Melbourne. Noble is essentially Adelaide’s, and coach Don Pyke’s, information quality controller.

A high IQ and an ability to quickly identify the gold nuggets of information and the relevant trends among the growing sheets of data churned out by the stats gurus are now more vital assets for a prospective AFL coach than to own than a Brownlow Medal.

A head for dissecting data is vital, because data alone can be a coach’s enemy. It can trick and confuse.

The key is understanding and speedily deciphering it by knowing where to search for the gold among the misleading jungle of useless information.

Data can confirm deficiencies, identify opposition advantages and pinpoint game trends before a human coach without it will ever realise. If supersedes any gut feel, and yet better still if it confirms it.

Noble oversees the delivery of Adelaide’s key data points to Don Pyke on game day, with each line coach sitting next to his analyst to help streamline the process, in what I’m told, is one of the more emotionless but efficient coaches boxes in the AFL.

One of the hardest things to do for many people who have lived inside the football box all their adult life, is to look outside of it.

For a hundred years, the easiest and safest default for AFL clubs looking for a coach, has been to grab a former star player with a big marketable name, 300 games of experience, an individual medal or two, and some premiership success.

Better still, if, like James Hird, Micheal Voss, Nathan Buckley, Justin Leppitsch, Brett Ratten, Tony Shaw, Wayne Schimmelbusch and Matthew Primus, he is a favourite son.

It’s the safe option, because the decision to appoint ex-greats is easily justifiable, and sellable to a membership base.

Reports have suggested that ex-Carlton coach and 255 game premiership player Brett Ratten, who is a current Hawthorn assistant, is the likely replacement for Leppitsch at the Lions. That’s if the Brisbane board want to play it safe with the biggest name option again. Take it as fact that the name David Noble has also reached Brisbane’s radar.

The Crows have been the masters at finding intelligent senior coaches that no other club had considered.

Both Phil Walsh and Don Pyke have helped Adelaide achieve above fan expectation in the past two seasons and it would be ironic if another club stole David Noble from Adelaide.

But expect them to try. And if the right senior coaching job was offered, I would expect him to go.
Really interested in Noble...background is terrific. Adelaide, Hawthorn and Swans are the cutting edge teams,and he ticks boxes similar to Bolton and Beveridge.

Will enjoy seeing his name now thrown around in multiple threads.

The thing with the likes of Noble and Fagan is they have coached their own side and then transferred into the AFL and done lengthy apprenticeships in many different roles.. They would be and should be over all issues of running a club. Poor Leppa probably didn't realise the magnitude of the job ahead of him..

If we do go for a new coach i would assume the majority of the assistants would be moved on. Of the current lot i wouldn't be against keeping Dany Daly. Seems to have done a fair job with the contested ball/clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Safe to say Bomber is out of the running, Sellers said "can they tempt you?" and he replied "No"

General agreement was that Leppa will go but our problems aren't his fault.

Safe to say Bomber is out of the running, Sellers said "can they tempt you?" and he replied "No"

General agreement was that Leppa will go but our problems aren't his fault.

Always hard to read Bomber but it seemed far from emphatic to me - he seemed uncomfortable in that situation actually. Knew a lot about our current situation, changed the subject quickly after he was asked. With Leppa still in the job, he can't really say anything else for now, but it certainly didn't look like a closing of the door to me.

Always hard to read Bomber but it seemed far from emphatic to me - he seemed uncomfortable in that situation actually. Knew a lot about our current situation, changed the subject quickly after he was asked. With Leppa still in the job, he can't really say anything else for now, but it certainly didn't look like a closing of the door to me.
yep. can they tempt you bomber? he not going to come out and say- yes i am really keen to get back into coaching and the lions job appeals to me.

when he was asked in a more generic fashion he has said he was interested in a senior gig again.

The conspiracy theorist in me made me watch his response a few times. When the Lions was raised in the segment I watched him the whole time actually however when he was asked directly it was an indifferent response, asked for the Q again and laughed it off whilst saying no and then changed the subject pretty quickly. As I said, the conspiracy theorist in me.

The conspiracy theorist in me made me watch his response a few times. When the Lions was raised in the segment I watched him the whole time actually however when he was asked directly it was an indifferent response, asked for the Q again and laughed it off whilst saying no and then changed the subject pretty quickly. As I said, the conspiracy theorist in me.

I'll add to this and say after watching it myself, his voice was a little off. Wasn't speaking clearly at all and had to clear the throat

I'll add to this and say after watching it myself, his voice was a little off. Wasn't speaking clearly at all and had to clear the throat
have we got a resident BF lions board mentalist ah la Darren Brown?

have we got a resident BF lions board mentalist ah la Darren Brown?

Possibly.

Through my powers of extraordinary mental acuity, I sense that you meant Derren Brown.

we can add another one to the list. if it happens this selection process is going to take the whole off season.

Kevin Bartlett on SEN this morning "the name i am hearing from brisbane is Adam Kingsley" and he went on to say Brett Ratten is no chance.

we can add another one to the list. if it happens this selection process is going to take the whole off season.

Kevin Bartlett on SEN this morning "the name i am hearing from brisbane is Adam Kingsley" and he went on to say Brett Ratten is no chance.
Well that's a relief. KB knows stuff all about the Lions so Ratten is looking good then and Kingsley is off to Freo.

Really interested in Noble...background is terrific. Adelaide, Hawthorn and Swans are the cutting edge teams,and he ticks boxes similar to Bolton and Beveridge.

Not a coaches A - hole but. Was terrible at the Glenelg Football Club in the early 2000's and did SFA as a line manager under Neil Craig from 2003-2009

Good footy director and administrator as he excelled in that area but he's not your next coach.

BTW - Neither is Scott Camporeale and this isn't me being negative to keep them. They just wouldn't suit your needs. Campo isn't a developer of young talent, he needs a more senior type player around him to follow and implement his complicated system.

Back