• Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

For Brisbane to consider.

I don't think so. The AFL will support Brisnane for a whole host of reasons. But the people at Brisbane aren't totally stupid. Swann, Matthews and co. they're just as keen as anyone else to get good people into the club. As are the AFL. What, in any case, are the AFL's wishes?

I don't to think Brisbane would make a "stupid" decision in any case. Where they've had problems in the past is finding people who want to come to the club. The AFL is helping them to do this by promising support and making approaches to possible candidates in Brisbane's behalf. That's what Noble said on 5aa. In the end though it was Brisbane that drove the appointment.

Well we don't know that. Voss did coach the Lions in two finals. Leppitsch did a rebuild in the wake of the GH5.

Who wouldn't the AFL approve? There are plenty of assistant coaches (that would be approved by the AFL) who are looking for senior opportunities. They include Barker, Dew, Montgomery, Caracella, Harvey, Kingsley, and Simon Lloyd.
The AFL is financing this club, and are very aware of the bad look of them pouring money hand over fist to what most see as a mismanaged organisation. So concerned are they about how we spend their money, they even tried to intervene in the terms of Leppa's last contract. They will not be writing big cheques to get us right and then leave it to us to spend as we wish.
I can't believe, given your history and intimate knowledge of Fitzroy, that you would think things are hunky dory at our club in terms of executive decision making and that the AFL would be prepared to continually just pour their money into it. The investors will be very sure that their money is spent properly, so that they aren't having to pay our rent for the next 20 years.
Voss took us to 2 finals with a team compiled by others. I like what Leppa did, but it wasn't enough. Of your long list of suitable coaches, how many are left in the running?
I am sceptical by nature, but I am surprised that you would take what is said publicly by the club, AFL or Noble as literal truth. None are going to come out and say "Brisbane are such a rabble that the AFL is now calling the shots". "Advising", "Assisting" are polite words. As per my previous posts, the AFL may not be making each decision, but I am certain they would be checking off our options and will step in if they don't approve.

The AFL is financing this club, and are very aware of the bad look of them pouring money hand over fist to what most see as a mismanaged organisation. So concerned are they about how we spend their money, they even tried to intervene in the terms of Leppa's last contract. They will not be writing big cheques to get us right and then leave it to us to spend as we wish.
I can't believe, given your history and intimate knowledge of Fitzroy, that you would think things are hunky dory at our club in terms of executive decision making and that the AFL would be prepared to continually just pour their money into it. The investors will be very sure that their money is spent properly, so that they aren't having to pay our rent for the next 20 years.
Voss took us to 2 finals with a team compiled by others. I like what Leppa did, but it wasn't enough. Of your long list of suitable coaches, how many are left in the running?
I am sceptical by nature, but I am surprised that you would take what is said publicly by the club, AFL or Noble as literal truth. None are going to come out and say "Brisbane are such a rabble that the AFL is now calling the shots". "Advising", "Assisting" are polite words. As per my previous posts, the AFL may not be making each decision, but I am certain they would be checking off our options and will step in if they don't approve.
Thank christ the afl have stepped in...assuming...our board couldnt run a raffle. The club is a total embarrassment and needs overturning at every level, we are lucky the right people seem interested.

Thank christ the afl have stepped in...assuming...our board couldnt run a raffle. The club is a total embarrassment and needs overturning at every level, we are lucky the right people seem interested.
I wouldn't go that far. I don't subscribe to the hysterics around Leppa's sacking, suggesting the entire board and administration of the club should go. I just see the reality that our financiers want control of how we spend their money.
I don't advocate any higher level of control than that. They forced upon us a chairman who wasn't voted in, rather than let members have their say. It's a fine line, and we have to retain some level of autonomy, but accept that if someone is picking up the bill, then they can use their influence for good instead of evil for a change.

I just think we have gone to the AFL with our hands out pleading for help so the process from there is self fulfilling.

Its like.. 'dad im 23.. I need a car, I am broke and I need 10k to get me out of this mess, plus I need a room at your and Mums house for 12 months while I get my life back together.. can you help me?..

Can the dad actually stop the young adult from making their own decisions, drinking, spending some of that 10k on things they dont need? No, will the parents admit they are controling their life? No.. will their be a concilitory aporoach to decisions whist the parents are forking out to make things possible and will they expect, given the desperate situation the 23 year old finds themself in, they be given some control.. Yes.. will the 23 year old seek advice and the green light from the parents on decisions so as if they mess up the parents dont take the car back and kick them out of the house? Yes.

Pretty simple process happening here, we are in consoltation with the AFL (about alomost everything) and I dare say we are pretty happy about being under their roof for a few years.

Gills cooking is awesome.

Last edited:
I've listened to both Noble interviews previously. The AFL suggested a number of experienced people for Brisbane to consider. That's a far cry from the AFL appointing their chosen candidate. And I'm not suggesting. you necessarily said this.

This reminds of me of the saying:

Guy can do whatever he likes, as long he has permission from his wife.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the situation is as some have received alluded to that Fagan was always going to get it. Why bother with the interview process and saying we will take as long as we need.

Is it because lions fans take such a passing interest in anything other than a game or the AFL and the club just believe everyone will believe every word they say.

Why not admit to the process that they identified Fagans as their man a long time ago and his list of achievements and positions he has held are a good enough sign that he has the experience required to rebuild a club like the lions. A brief look at his CV from any casual fan and they'd be convinced.

Fagan signed sealed. To be confirmed Thursday/Friday. Maybe announced before Grand Final if not certainly the Monday after. Brisbane Source

Well that was quick. Noble has only been actually working in the job a couple of hours and the coach is appointed already. Those interviews this morning must have been short and to the point.

At this rate, we should have all our trades done by the end of Day 1 of the trade period.

Well that was quick. Noble has only been actually working in the job a couple of hours and the coach is appointed already. Those interviews this morning must have been short and to the point.

At this rate, we should have all our trades done by the end of Day 1 of the trade period.

So no trades with the Pies or the Dons anticipated then?

I really don't understand how people are so naive to think that this process began after last week when Noble "officially" came on board. Do you really think that it took from the time Adelaide were knocked out to the official announcement (4 days later?) for him to decide on completely uprooting and moving his family to another state, to work in the exact same position at a different club that's in a dire position? Now throw in the Fagan decision.

This process has been going for weeks and weeks (which I actually mentioned specific meetings had weeks ago) Does it matter if the AFL or Brisbane were the ones putting things in place? Nope. As long as we get great people in the positions we need. Which is what's happened. But for those that believe Brisbane have been calling the shots, you're far from the truth and the reality is - that's a good thing. Their previous decisions are what put us here.

As for the announcement this week, a big (AFL endorced) decision made, during the biggest week of the year? There's a shock!

Let's all just enjoy the fact we've got some big name, successful people in the club who will be pushing our club back to the top of the table.

Last edited:
I really don't understand how people are so naive to think that this process began after last week when Noble "officially" came on board. Do you really think that it took from the time Adelaide were knocked out to the official announcement (4 days later?) for him to decide on completely uprooting and moving his family to another state, to work in the exact same position at a different club that's in a dire position? Now throw in the Fagan decision.

This process has been going for weeks and weeks (which I actually mentioned specific meetings had weeks ago) Does it matter if the AFL or Brisbane were the ones putting things in place? Nope. As long as we get great people in the positions we need. Which is what's happened. But for those that believe Brisbane have been calling the shots, you're far from the truth and the reality is - that's a good thing. Their previous decisions are what put us here.

As for the announcement this week, a big (AFL endorced) decision made, during the biggest week of the year? There's a shock!

Let's all just enjoy the fact we've got some big name, successful people in the club who will be pushing our club back to the top of the table.
Not all posts are to be taken literally. There is some naivety here but I think you will find there is invariably a fair amount of irony, sarcasm, wit and good humour as well.

I really don't understand how people are so naive to think that this process began after last week when Noble "officially" came on board. Do you really think that it took from the time Adelaide were knocked out to the official announcement (4 days later?) for him to decide on completely uprooting and moving his family to another state, to work in the exact same position at a different club that's in a dire position?

Well of course not. David Noble and Leigh Matthews explained the process. The Lions and AFL agreed that they needed a experienced creditable GM of football. The AFL helped to encourage David Noble to consider taking the job. Matthews suggested that without AFL assistance / facilitation, David Noble would have stayed in Adelaide.

Matthews: "The suggestion (from the AFL) was that maybe David Noble they could convince to actually come to Brisbane. Without the AFL's encouragement, I suspect David would have been staying where he was."

The AFL approached the club (Adelaide) and Noble before the Adelaide Crow had exited the finals. Swann phoned Noble after the Crows' season finished, last week. Noble went up and had an interview with the Brisbane Lions, a couple of days before he was appointed by the Lions on Thursday 22nd September. Andrew Fagan only knew officially the day before.

Now throw in the Fagan decision.

Noble said on Thursday that he had not spoken to any coaching candidate, a decision had not been made and that they would go through the process.

"It's been interesting because apparently I've been speaking to all of our candidates and that couldn't be further from the truth. I haven't spoken to anyone. It's amazing how stories seem to grow legs and evolve."

On the coach: "I think we're open...to be honest. I don't think you can afford to be bolted on to any one particular type of coach. If that happens to be a first time coach so be it. It's certainly the area that we were really conscious of going through the cycle twice, to not get invested in anyone in particular rather than seeing how they matched up against the profile."

Well of course not. David Noble and Leigh Matthews explained the process. The Lions and AFL agreed that they needed a experienced creditable GM of football. The AFL helped to encourage David Noble to consider taking the job. Matthews suggested that without AFL assistance / facilitation, David Noble would have stayed in Adelaide.

Matthews: "The suggestion (from the AFL) was that maybe David Noble they could convince to actually come to Brisbane. Without the AFL's encouragement, I suspect David would have been staying where he was."

The AFL approached the club (Adelaide) and Noble before the Adelaide Crow had exited the finals. Swann phoned Noble after the Crows' season finished, last week. Noble went up and had an interview with the Brisbane Lions, a couple of days before he was appointed by the Lions on Thursday 22nd September. Andrew Fagan only knew officially the day before.

Noble said on Thursday that he had not spoken to any coaching candidate, a decision had not been made and that they would go through the process.

"It's been interesting because apparently I've been speaking to all of our candidates and that couldn't be further from the truth. I haven't spoken to anyone. It's amazing how stories seem to grow legs and evolve."

On the coach: "I think we're open...to be honest. I don't think you can afford to be bolted on to any one particular type of coach. If that happens to be a first time coach so be it. It's certainly the area that we were really conscious of going through the cycle twice, to not get invested in anyone in particular rather than seeing how they matched up against the profile."

That's exactly my point, what's said in media through interviews (as above) and what's actually happened behind closed doors are two very very different situations. I know as fact that Fagan met with AFL & Brisbane officials well before the above time stamps.

That's exactly my point, what's said in media through interviews (as above) and what's actually happened behind closed doors are two very very different situations.

So what you are in fact suggesting is that Noble, when he says straight out last Thursday....

"It's been interesting because apparently I've been speaking to all of our candidates and that couldn't be further from the truth. I haven't spoken to anyone."

...is in fact not telling the truth. That something else happened.

I know as fact that Fagan met with AFL & Brisbane officials well before the above time stamps.

And the decision to make him coach was made then?

Back