Votes: 28 11.2%
  • Brad Scott

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • Other

Votes: 85 34.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I've heard, Monty is a great tactian, gets the most out of players and is an overall very good coach. The knock on him is that he doesn't like being second in charge, or struggles being overruled by a senior coach. He really wants to be the one in charge. Can Fagan get him on board and ensure he follows direction like others may have struggled?

Apparently Brisbane hoped it to be Fagan with Barker as the senior assistant, but Barker didn't want a bar of that. He's already in that position and didn't want to uproot and move north to do the same job at the club struggling the most.

Sam mitchell on SEN.

Said lots of great things about Fagen, outstanding person - brings people together, when he talks you listen, ideas man, hawks dont want to lose him.

But said this

- he is more the type that sits on the laptop in meetings, though when he does speak its a great idea.

- he would need help from some great assistants with the tactical side of things.

We NEED good assistants around Fagen if we go ahead with this, he is a manager, not a coach - but I am sure this will happen.

That would be absolutely best case scenario. I want Fagan as head coach. I wonder if Monty would be interested though.

Yes...For those who watch Footy Classified..Caro mention on Tuesday night (last show of the year) that Richmond had interviewed Monty..But from her sources, and excuse the pun, Brett is a monty to join Brisbane (his first preference)...We sounded him out weeks back!

Sam mitchell on SEN.

Said lots of great things about Fagen, outstanding person - brings people together, when he talks you listen, ideas man, hawks dont want to lose him.

But said this

- he is more the type that sits on the laptop in meetings, though when he does speak its a great idea.

- he would need help from some great assistants with the tactical side of things.

We NEED good assistants around Fagen if we go ahead with this, he is a manager, not a coach - but I am sure this will happen.
That's a bit circular. At the Hawks he isn't coach so he is unlikely to be directly involved in tactics etc or to take control of meetings in the presence of the coach. That's not to say he can't coach. And all coaches need the very best assistants around them. Most will tell you they don't do most of the hands-on stuff anyway. Nothing in this would suggest to me that Fagan wouldn't be a suitable choice as coach.

That's a bit circular. At the Hawks he isn't coach so he is unlikely to be directly involved in tactics etc or to take control of meetings in the presence of the coach. That's not to say he can't coach. And all coaches need the very best assistants around them. Most will tell you they don't do most of the hands-on stuff anyway. Nothing in this would suggest to me that Fagan wouldn't be a suitable choice as coach.

Yeah, agreed. Sounds like a guy who performs his role. Should we expect him to just talk over the senior coach and undermine him?

Yeah, agreed. Sounds like a guy who performs his role. Should we expect him to just talk over the senior coach and undermine him?

I dont mind the fact that two ex players have said he is a behind the scenes guy, in so many words - thats fine. We need a manager type at this point. His skills far outweigh potential down side. Beveridge was about to become a footy director before he got the Dogs job as he was viewed as good a galvanizing peopl, not so much as a head coach candidate.

Sam mitchell could have said "and even though he is a football director, being so close with Alister, he actually also has a really sound knowledge of the tactical side of the game too, which will make him a great coach"...

He didnt, he chose to highlight he has limited tactical knowledge, which again is fine, just highlights we will need a Monty (like Cameron under sheedy) who oversees and pushes our tactical side.

I dont mind the fact that two ex players have said he is a behind the scenes guy, in so many words - thats fine. We need a manager type at this point. His skills far outweigh potential down side. Beveridge was about to become a footy director before he got the Dogs job as he was viewed as good a galvanizing peopl, not so much as a head coach candidate.

Sam mitchell could have said "and even though he is a football director, being so close with Alister, he actually also has a really sound knowledge of the tactical side of the game too, which will make him a great coach"...

He didnt, he chose to highlight he has limited tactical knowledge, which again is fine, just highlights we will need a Monty (like Cameron under sheedy) who oversees and pushes our tactical side.

Preaching to the choir on that one!

Noble is an astute tactician by all reports so him and Fagan will be a great team. Grab Monty as a senior assistant and things are looking very good for our club.

But we have Noble in the manager style roll.
How woukd it work if we had Noble and Fagen being the same type of persona?

Also.... a close friend of mine is mates with a coach/trainer at the Bulldogs.... They were talking about Monty last night and the word is that Monty is a super negative character.

Could be totally different with new management/enviroment so I trust the decision makers

The more I read, the more I like Barker. The biggest issue I have with Fagan is that he seems a football manager who wants to coach - I can easily see, despite their obvious regard for each other, that Fagan and Noble would have strong views on how things should be done and neither would be willing to compromise - unless their positions match up identically, that could spell big trouble.

With Barker, he would clearly be ready to listen and learn.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just don't trust Barker to reign in our "wag the dog" playing list. Just can't take that risk.

Yep I think this. A stronger coaching team that will really set the tone is as critical at this point as anything else.

In fact I think all the tactical nous in the world doesn't help if we can't address the cultural stuff.

Barker may well be a good coach but first and foremost we need to build culture and I am not entirely sure he is that man at this point. We are a lot, lot worse than any other club in that regard so the Fagan/Noble team with someone like Montgomery as senior assistant is probably the best fit right now. If we got Barker it wouldn't be the end of the world. Just that Fagan fits better.

If you had a choice between an assistant coach from Carlton or an assistant coach from a team that has just made the premiership against all odds, who would you choose?

Monty for me.
I would've agreed with you mate however I just read this and not so sure. Is it just me or does this come across as a bit 'floggish'? I guess it's hard to judge without the context but it just came across as sour grapes to me.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-29/we-need-to-be-more-mature-montgomerys-coaching-plea

From that Montgomery article:

"It's a huge decision for their footy club and their next leader will take on a (young) group of players … I think they've got 37 players under 25 years old, and they'll get younger.

"It's a big job and it'll be a really considered decision I'm sure."

We don't have a lot of impending retirements coming up, so I found this an interesting comment. Maybe he's just thinking about Merrett and the delistings.

I would've agreed with you mate however I just read this and not so sure. Is it just me or does this come across as a bit 'floggish'? I guess it's hard to judge without the context but it just came across as sour grapes to me.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-29/we-need-to-be-more-mature-montgomerys-coaching-plea

I read it twice and I can't see anything "floggish" in his comments. Just saying it how he sees it.

FWIW I think there is a certain lack of maturity within Clubs that push an employee to the outer when he expresses a desire to go outside to fulfill his ambitions

From Montgomery article

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-09-29/we-need-to-be-more-mature-montgomerys-coaching-plea[/QUOTE]

"I thought after two years that was probably enough time and I was clearly never going to coach the Bulldogs. "Luke's got a really strong skillset in coaching and he doesn't necessarily look for a lot of help from his coaches. "For me to take the next step, which I want to dedicate this next little period to, I probably needed to make a move."

If Fagan does get the senior gig I wonder if the lions powerbrokers might try and entice Monty to sign on as an assistant coach with a promise of a senior gig in the future?

From that Montgomery article:

We don't have a lot of impending retirements coming up, so I found this an interesting comment. Maybe he's just thinking about Merrett and the delistings.

You have 7 guys go out so far and if you replace them with 18 year olds we might get a bit younger. Take out 3 of the other more experienced that are being talked about as likely to go and we certainly do.

You have 7 guys go out so far and if you replace them with 18 year olds we might get a bit younger. Take out 3 of the other more experienced that are being talked about as likely to go and we certainly do.

Yeah, that's what I was angling at.
Replacing most of the delisted players (e.g. Evans, Watts, McGuiness, Beasley) with 18 year olds doesn't really set us back so much in age that it's noteworthy. His comment would make more sense to me if he expected those other senior players to go as well.

Back