Club Focus Brisbane Lions 2020 - Cockatoo, Coleman, Sharp, Smith

AFL Club Focus

What should the Brisbane Lions target this off-season?

• More ruck cover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Key forwards

• Inside mids

• Classy wingers

• Speed off half-back

• Other

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane 2019 club focus thread
This is a Lions-specific version of the player contracts & statistics spreadsheet pinned to the top of this forum. It summarises your players' contract situations, experience, ages and heights. The data is from footywire, and the spreadsheet will update itself when footywire is updated. It may contain some errors, I do not have the ability to update them so we just have to deal with what footywire gives us. It's the best we can do for the moment.

According to this data, Brisbane are:
- 16th tallest, averaging 184.9cm
- 8th heaviest, averaging 86.2kg
- The youngest list with an average age of 23.2 years
- 13th most experienced, averaging 63.3 career games

Your picks in the first five rounds of the 2019 national draft are:
1st round pick (tied to Collingwood - currently pick 16)
2nd round pick (tied to Gold Coast - currently pick 19)
2nd round pick (tied to Brisbane - currently pick 33)
3rd round pick (tied to Fremantle - currently pick 44)
3rd round pick (tied to Brisbane - currently pick 51)

To check the draft order (updated weekly) see the thread here.

Who retires, who is traded, and who is re-signed?

What do you see as the gaps in the list? How could those gaps be filled? Via trade or from the draft?

What will it take to get it all done, given the current trade and draft value on hand?

Last edited:

Another wingman would be handy and another inside/outside mid or HBF who can run would be the list for me. Its an interesting list demographic actually. We're a pretty experienced and older team but still a very young squad. We probably lose some more age and experience with Hodge and Bastinac gone off the list. I'd be looking at trading for some more depth through the middle. We've been very lucky this year that it hasn't really been tested too much so i'd be looking to add some more depth before we start having to play 19 year olds again.

Another Lincoln McCarthy type ie. a very good small forward who can play significant midfield minutes if required would be fantastic, preferably in the 22-24 age bracket.

Types of player required IMO-

1- Long running outside mid with A grade disposal eg. Brad Hill.
2- Run and gun out of defense eg. Adam Saad/Zac Williams.
3- Small fwd/mid eg. Lincoln McCarthy.*
4- More midfield quality eg. Stephen Coniglio/Darcy Parish.*

Another option is Dayne Zorko playing more minutes as a small forward as he ages, he would be an elite small forward, 35+ goal a year small, Zorks is 31 before the start of next season although IMO he is capable of playing into his mid 30s.

The fallback option is always more midfield quality and/or depth.

Our recruiters are building a great record of identifying talent, even later in the draft so I'm reasonably confident that last years draft could provide some midfield quality, Tom Berry, Tom Joyce, Ely Smith, Connor McFadyen and Noah Answerth.

We have had a fantastic run with injury which can not continue indefinitely so I would't be moving on all our mature talent who have been languishing in the NEAFL most of the year. 2019 Out of Contract-

Ryan Bastinac (R)- Trade/delist.
Stefan Martin- 1 year extension.
Lewis Taylor- 1 year extension, depth.
Tom Cutler- Trade or 1 year and 1 more chance.
Ben Keays- delist.
Sam Skinner- 1 year extension.
Daniel McStay- 3 year extension.
Nicholas Robertson- 1 year extension, depth.
Corey Lyons- delist.
Luke Hodge- retire.

Allen Christensen- 2 year extension.
Matt Eagles (R)- delist.
Mitchell Hinge (R)- 1 year extension, IMO he has a lot to offer.
Mitch Robinson- 2 year extension
Josh Walker- 1 year extension, depth.
Ryan Lester- 2 year extension.

A running halfback who can also defend, would likely take Hodges spot if an A Grader was interested, otherwise we back in some of our developing kids.

I would have said a mature Key Forward but I think our forwardline is functioning fine and Hipwood/McStay(Or other) should suit us long term.

Ryan Bastinac (R)- Trade/delist.
Stefan Martin- 1 year extension.
Lewis Taylor- 1 year extension, depth.
Tom Cutler- Trade or 1 year and 1 more chance.
Ben Keays- delist.
Sam Skinner- 1 year extension.
Daniel McStay- 3 year extension.
Nicholas Robertson- 1 year extension, depth.
Corey Lyons- delist.
Luke Hodge- retire.

Allen Christensen- 2 year extension.
Matt Eagles (R)- delist.
Mitchell Hinge (R)- 1 year extension, IMO he has a lot to offer.
Mitch Robinson- 2 year extension
Josh Walker- 1 year extension, depth.
Ryan Lester- 2 year extension.
Delisting Lyons and Keays is crazy. Both are doing great in the NEAFL and are improving fringe players. We're not always going to have such a great run with injury, and we'll need to replace Zorko eventually when he pushes up into the forward line to end his career. Lyons can be that guy.

Delisting Lyons and Keays is crazy. Both are doing great in the NEAFL and are improving fringe players. We're not always going to have such a great run with injury, and we'll need to replace Zorko eventually when he pushes up into the forward line to end his career. Lyons can be that guy.
I agree re not always going to have a great run with injury and have posted as much on various threads and IMO we need to factor in depth with list management decisions, on Keays I'd like to see him stay but I still see him as being under the pump. Corey Lyons has been on our list for 3 years and has yet to debut, I'd be surprised if he is still with us in 2020, it will be interesting to see who is moved on.

Oh and I disagree that I'm crazy. ;) Although I am biased.

I agree re not always going to have a great run with injury and have posted as much on various threads and IMO we need to factor in depth with list management decisions, on Keays I'd like to see him stay but I still see him as being under the pump. Corey Lyons has been on our list for 3 years and has yet to debut, I'd be surprised if he is still with us in 2020, it will be interesting to see who is moved on.
It takes time for a young player to be ready sometimes. Lyons has been particularly good in the last two NEAFL games, best on ground in the most recent one. I reckon there's still a place for him.

Oh and I disagree that I'm crazy. ;) Although I am biased.
I didn't say you were crazy, just that the idea of delisting both those guys is crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could they be a sneaky chance at Isaac Smith?

Probably need a winger and he comes ready made for a flag tilt in the next 2-3 years and Fagan knows how to use him.

Would probably only cost the pick at 33?

Probably need a winger and he comes ready made for a flag tilt in the next 2-3 years and Fagan knows how to use him.

For me he is a bit old and we still are probably looking for players aged 26 and under. Brad Hill would be perfect sort for us if he was interested in going anywhere other than a melbourne club.

Obviously Isaac would be cheaper trade wise than a comparable younger player but if we are only getting 2-3 years of service I don't think it is worth it for us.

While I agree, the problem is you need to delist at least 3 players. Hodge is only one guy, I guess I could see Cutler leave but you need an extra list vacancy on top of that.

While I agree, the problem is you need to delist at least 3 players. Hodge is only one guy, I guess I could see Cutler leave but you need an extra list vacancy on top of that.
Taylor is probably gone too. I'd rather delist Skinner over Keays personally, we have enough developing talls and Skinner doesn't look like making the best 22 anytime soon.

In another thread a Lions supporter mentioned Jon Patton as a fit for the forwardline. Wouldnt mind that Patton FF/Hipwood CHF combination.

In another thread a Lions supporter mentioned Jon Patton as a fit for the forwardline. Wouldnt mind that Patton FF/Hipwood CHF combination.

Probably not the worse call we could make but I think Patton would rather go to Victoria.

Although if McStay wanted to return home that would change the scenario completely.

As has been mentioned, not sure if he would entertain moving to a non-Vic club or leaving Freo but Brad Hill should be our number 1 target. Would be super damaging for us on the wing. Has a preexisting relationship with Fagan, Hodge, Neale, Robinson and Cameron.

Allen Christensen 1 year
Ben Keayes Trade
Connor Ballerdan 1 Year
Corey Lyons 1 Year
Josh Walker 1 Year
Dan McStay 2 Years
Luke Hodge Retire
Lewis Taylor Trade
Matt Eagles Delist
Ryan Bastinac Delist
Mitchell Hinge 1 Year
Nick Robertson 1 Year
Ryan Lester 1 Year
Sam Skinner Delist
Tom Cutler Trade
Stefan Martin 1 Year

Trade Targets should be
Wylie Buzza Geelong
Rory Atkins Adelaide
Josh Jenkins Adelaide
Jack Trengrove Port Adelaide

As has been mentioned, not sure if he would entertain moving to a non-Vic club or leaving Freo but Brad Hill should be our number 1 target. Would be super damaging for us on the wing. Has a preexisting relationship with Fagan, Hodge, Neale, Robinson and Cameron.

Would be an amazing get. What would it take though. Do you have the capital to get it done?

Trade Targets should be
Wylie Buzza Geelong
Rory Atkins Adelaide
Josh Jenkins Adelaide
Jack Trengrove Port Adelaide

Wylie could be a chance in a season or two when he gets delisted, he looks like he could be a Ben Brown type long term.

Rory Atkins, maybe.

Jenkins is a no thanks.

Trengrove is too slow for the modern game after he was crueled by injuries sadly. If he still had his leg speed he'd be a great half back flanker.

Back